Pettway is a mess

bigbird

17 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Then I would argue that Dr. Goodlett needs to ask himself how players under his care can get so messed up on drugs that they are basically unable to return to the field after being very successful just a year prior... but that's just me.

Can’t possibly be the character flaws of these players? Just has to be someone else, correct?

You do know these are NFL player scouts saying these things?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Really?  I never heard a peep about either prior to their injuries. 

You live in Kansas, you don't "hear" anything from the social/party scene at ground level in Auburn; the only info you get is what you read.

I promise you SW's propensity to party hard was well known among the student population at Auburn well before he ever took a single snap for Gus.  Same with KP, and several  players that are still on the team or have mercifully moved on with their lives.

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

You live in Kansas, you don't "hear" anything from the social/party scene at ground level in Auburn; the only info you get is what you read.

I promise you SW's propensity to party hard was well known among the student population at Auburn well before he ever took a single snap for Gus.  Same with KP, and several  players that are still on the team or have mercifully moved on with their lives.

Football dorms on top of our new football only facility could sure help with that :Sing:

20 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Just another example of how we need to take a deep look into how we handle long term injuries. Too many quality players are falling off the deep end while recovering from injuries. 

20 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Just another example of how we need to take a deep look into how we handle long term injuries. Too many quality players are falling off the deep end while recovering from injuries. 

I hope like hell this is sarcasm and my detector is plugged...

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

Tends to happen to those who chose to be Naive on things.

You know, E, I'll take all the abuse people want to give on that people want to give me on this, but I definitely don't appreciate that comment from you. 

There are plenty of marijuana users who are fully functional in society and in the world where the use of the drug does not affect their ability to handle their life's responsibilities, similar to the large number of people who can grab a drink or 2 with their buddies throughout the week without it being a problem. But it's disappointing to hear someone who has been gifted such talent and opportunity is now in a position where marijuana became a distraction for him on some level. A guy who was on the cusp of having a chance to set himself, and his family, up for life seemingly spiraled enough to have such a dark cloud hanging over his head because of weed -- and he put himself in this position. I get that there are some anti-inflammatory properties of weed and that he plays a violent position in a brutal sport and how there could be some benefit to use the drug but it's obviously at a point where he's moved past the therapeutic reasons.

Some people can handle it, some just can't. It's a shame that someone could be throwing away millions of dollars for this, and I hope he does what he needs to do to stick around the NFL for a long time. Maybe this process tightens the screws for him and he makes a name for himself in the league. 

3 hours ago, keesler said:

You are absolutely correct. Of course I would hope all of the others on here who are as old or older than me, no matter where they live, aren't hearing a whole lot from ground level of the social/party scene at Auburn either.

As you know. I do my level best from out here in the untamed wild to stay informed. I very obviously didn't succeed this time.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You are absolutely correct. Of course I would hope all of the others on here who are as old or older than me, no matter where they live, aren't hearing a whole lot from ground level of the social/party scene at Auburn either.

As you know. I do my level best from out here in the untamed wild to stay informed. I very obviously didn't succeed this time.

980x.gif

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

You know, E, I'll take all the abuse people want to give on that people want to give me on this, but I definitely don't appreciate that comment from you. 

But you truly are naive when it comes to AU football.

wde

I posted this in the NFL combine snub thread:

KP is easily defensed.  He may have NFL stats in some areas, but off of the field he is a train wreck.   

wde

19 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

But you truly are naive when it comes to AU football.

wde

Wow. Could we stop piling on here.  No matter if we agree or disagree, I’m pretty certain this is a true Auburn fan.  

Just now, BJCrawford said:

Wow. Could we stop piling on here.  No matter if we agree or disagree, I’m pretty certain this is a true Auburn fan.  

He is a true AU fan and I give him total credit for that, but he is also very vociferous in his criticism of those who choose to criticize the program or coaches for any reason.  He has earned his criticism here.

wde

38 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

DAG, you just quoted me on this topic, but it is not showing up on this thread. 

wde

Yeah I don’t know what happened . Basically saying we are all Auburn men/fans essentially .

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yeah I don’t know what happened . Basically saying we are all Auburn man essentially .

True and I agree even when we fight.

wde

I understand where @lionheartkc is coming from, but I disagree here. For one, with all of the different counseling and psychological help offered by AU athletics, I have a hard time believing that help wasn’t offered/monitored, especially to players that were injured. Secondly, you have to be willing to receive the help and make a change if you are struggling with addiction, etc. At that age, many view it as the normal college life, and that they need no help or guidance.

54 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

No worries, BJ... It makes him feel better about himself. I can take it.

10 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I understand where @lionheartkc is coming from, but I disagree here. For one, with all of the different counseling and psychological help offered by AU athletics, I have a hard time believing that help wasn’t offered/monitored, especially to players that were injured. Secondly, you have to be willing to receive the help and make a change if you are struggling with addiction, etc. At that age, many view it as the normal college life, and that they need no help or guidance.

Rest assured help, assistance, counseling, tough love, therapy, monitoring to the point of damn near surveillance were offered, used, and utilized at a great expense to Auburn University for any student-athlete on that campus.  Hell, Auburn offers top shelf resources for the everyday college student and those services are on par with the same resources offered to any AU athlete.   I've experienced the resources Auburn offers to their students, because I have a child at AU.  IMHO, AU has the best of the best in the field of counselors & therapists to help these kids. 

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Rest assured help, assistance, counseling, tough love, therapy, monitoring to the point of damn near surveillance were offered, used, and utilized at a great expense to Auburn University for any student-athlete on that campus.  Hell, Auburn offers top shelf resources for the everyday college student and those services are on par with the same resources offered to any AU athlete.   I've experienced the resources Auburn offers to their students, because I have a child at AU.  IMHO, AU has the best of the best in the field of counselors & therapists to help these kids. 

Auburn has bent over backwards for these young adults. It’s up to them to take the necessary steps to get help. Clearly KP didn’t and left a bad taste in people’s minds. Nobody can force you to do it nor should they hold your hand. You are accomplished marble for your own actions and  each action has a positive or negative consequence.

Y’all keep picking on Lionheart and I will take his side on this issue. We haven’t bonded as partners in crime in a while so bring it on big boys.

Exhibit A:  Manziel had a minor ankle injury in college and now he’s bipolar! 

?

My son is a college sophomore, and after going through the freshman orientation with him, I was shocked how many special services colleges offer now, from tutoring, to counseling, to mentorships, etc... At the end of orientation, I could only come to one conclusion: if someone fails here it is on them. The school offers all the help in the world. A lot is different between regular students and student athletes, but decision making is universal to me. Make good ones, and you have greater opportunities for success. Make bad ones, and you limit your chances for success. Most AU athletes seem to make mostly good decisions and their life post AU reflects it. Some choose a harder path. Sounds like KP has an uphill climb, but I hope he learns and grows from it and find all the success in the world. And I hope more students and athletes take full advantage of all the help schools like AU offer. WDE!

Archived