Jeff Sessions: Slavery, not states rights or economic issues, caused the Civil War

TitanTiger

4 hours ago, maxwere said:

So this justifies overstepping the 10th amendment?

also, slavery was an institution globally (still is in fact) for centuries.  Does that qualify it as a humanitarian crisis?

Are you implying that should disqualify it as a humanitarian crisis?

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

Are you implying that should disqualify it as a humanitarian crisis?

I qualify it as a deep state of mans depravity.  A crisis only in the long term sense.  The state (man) is incapable to correct by is own fiat emergency policy.  That is to say depravity is not merely an issue of behavior.  It is the heart issue.  Guns and swords don’t reform hearts, they can only hope to restrain evil.  Hence the cliche, you can’t legislate morality.

You ok with Jeff Sessions legislating morality?

3 hours ago, maxwere said:

I qualify it as a deep state of mans depravity.  A crisis only in the long term sense.  The state (man) is incapable to correct by is own fiat emergency policy.  That is to say depravity is not merely an issue of behavior.  It is the heart issue.  Guns and swords don’t reform hearts, they can only hope to restrain evil.  Hence the cliche, you can’t legislate morality.

You ok with Jeff Sessions legislating morality?

I doubt slaves would see it that way.

I am not OK with Jeff Sessions legislating anything.

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

I doubt slaves would see it that way.

I am not OK with Jeff Sessions legislating anything.

The majority of “slaves” are completely unaware of their predicament.  

5 hours ago, maxwere said:

The majority of “slaves” are completely unaware of their predicament.  

Yes, Obi-wan.

But I doubt that's true for the majority of slaves in the South at the time.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Why put slaves in quotes?

Multi-entendre... Cite the following:

Romans 6

entitlement programs

US national debt

US median household debt

us median net worth

the human trafficking industry

...Etc

when the state gets involved you trade one form of slavery for another.  Sometimes better, sometimes not.

5 hours ago, maxwere said:

Multi-entendre... Cite the following:

Romans 6

entitlement programs

US national debt

US median household debt

us median net worth

the human trafficking industry

...Etc

when the state gets involved you trade one form of slavery for another.  Sometimes better, sometimes not.

Sounds to me like you are trying to equate literal chattel slavery to metaphorical slavery.

There's a difference.

I believe that Secession by the Southern states and the Northern states' objection to that move was the real cause of the Civil War.  I believe Sessions is talking about why the Southern states felt compelled to leave the Union.  

Slavery= economics back in 1860. The issue of slavery itself wasn't as big an issue to the plantation owners as losing their ability to continue to make money off of their manual labor. 

Either way you look at it slavery was (and still is for some parts of the world) an accepted practice for economic gain. It's a sad reality of human history. Evil in my eyes.

19 hours ago, homersapien said:

Sounds to me like you are trying to equate literal chattel slavery to metaphorical slavery.

There's a difference.

I'm not equating anything.  In the modern human trafficking issue, sex slavery is far worse than any of the others.

18 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Dispelling myths.

http://www.rulen.com/myths/

Not always doing a very good job of it.

Part of the problem is how they word the "myths" they are dispelling.  I don't have the time deal with all of them (some are outright false, some omit important info, others exaggerate, others are just unimportant).  But let's deal with the main doozy:

"The War of 1861 - 1865 was fought over slavery."

This is disingenuous and clever wording.  Because wars can be fought for a lot of reasons and it depends on whose perspective you're looking at.  So sure, you can say that the North fought it over money.  But he lies when he says "The South fought the War to repel Northern aggression and invasion."  Because first of all, the North didn't invade the South.  The South initiated armed hostilities in attacking Fort Sumter, a fort built by and owned by the United States.  But more importantly, the South went to war for one 700 lb. gorilla in the room reason:  to preserve the institution of slavery.  To say otherwise is to willfully deny the words of the Southern states themselves as their reasons for seceding.  So the entire path to war was precipitated by the South seceding to preserve slavery and the war was begun by the South attacking a US military installation to further their secessionist aims.

So if you want to nitpick about each sides primary motivations for going to war, you can say that the North did not fight the war to free slaves (at least at first).  But that does not absolve the South.  The South seceded to preserve slavery and because they objected to the efforts to have the US restrict slavery in future territories.  They initiated hostilities over this decision to secede, not to "repel Northern aggression or invasion."  They chose this path.  They were the ones who caused the war to happen.  The rest is revisionist bull****.

Au

• 2 weeks later...

In a completely unrelated move, (our new confederate history professor) Sessions attacks California for "extremist", "secessionist" policy.  He will use the full force of the federal government to right the evils of California immigration policy.  See any familiarity in tact to a particular 19th C GOP president?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/there-is-no-secession-sessions-blasts-california-for-sanctuary-policies-says-he-will-use-his-power-to-stop-them/2018/03/07/7aee6890-2219-11e8-86f6-54bfff693d2b_story.html

Archived