Men's Roster Breakdown Through 2022

boomstick

Out of curiosity,  with Wiley, are they allowed to use a red-shirt when dealing with his suspension?  So wouldn't he be a Junior next season?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Out of curiosity,  with Wiley, are they allowed to use a red-shirt when dealing with his suspension?  So wouldn't he be a Junior next season?

Good question. I would think so, but I’m not positive. Don’t think it will matter either way, but that would be something of note if he somehow didn’t leave for the draft after next year. 

I don't think it matters if Wiley gets to use the redshirt cause he won't be around long enough to use it...but i'd be pretty surprised if NCAA allowed the use of a red-shirt year with a player is suspended. That seems like a loop hole they would have shut already

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

I don't think it matters if Wiley gets to use the redshirt cause he won't be around long enough to use it...but i'd be pretty surprised if NCAA allowed the use of a red-shirt year with a player is suspended. That seems like a loop hole they would have shut already

The rule is a player has five years to play four. There is no reason at all why Wiley's 2017/18 season isn't a redshirt year. Like you said, it probably won't matter unless he suffers an injury of some sort, but suspension and the Five to Play Four rule are entirely different matters. There's no qualification on why a player didn't play. If he didn't play, the season counts as a redshirt season.

Updated the chart in the OP to reflect the Heron news. I don't expect him to return, although it seems technically possible since he hasn't yet signed with an agent.

The chart in the OP has been updated to reflect the Murray news. We should start hearing some names of recruits and transfers pop up over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the update....The big kid from Georgia...class of 2018 or maybe 2019 is not on the chart....is there a reason? or perhaps because we don't know when he might arrive? 

Still a lot of holes to fill to have a real 40 minute team.  Will be interesting to see what happens in recruiting....guessing some things should happen pretty soon.   I don't see an indication of a summer excursion like last year but would be good for incoming players to be here for the summer.

And, did not realize Dunbar would be a senior...was thinking due to his inconsistent play that he was a freshman last year.  Oh well, maybe in year 2 he will play more under control.  He was  exciting for sure but you never knew what he might do.   

42 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks for the update....The big kid from Georgia...class of 2018 or maybe 2019 is not on the chart....is there a reason? or perhaps because we don't know when he might arrive? 

Still a lot of holes to fill to have a real 40 minute team.  Will be interesting to see what happens in recruiting....guessing some things should happen pretty soon.   I don't see an indication of a summer excursion like last year but would be good for incoming players to be here for the summer.

And, did not realize Dunbar would be a senior...was thinking due to his inconsistent play that he was a freshman last year.  Oh well, maybe in year 2 he will play more under control.  He was  exciting for sure but you never knew what he might do.   

I was waiting on a decision on Stretch before adding him. I’m almost positive he’s going to reclassify and be on the roster next season but didn’t want to jump the gun. 

• 1 month later...

Are we looking at anybody who can play the 1 (point guard) for next year? Harper is going to be our only one next year as it stands. Was curious of the chances that we are going to bring in a grad transfer or incoming freshman to give us some depth behind Harper next year. 

31 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Are we looking at anybody who can play the 1 (point guard) for next year? Harper is going to be our only one next year as it stands. Was curious of the chances that we are going to bring in a grad transfer or incoming freshman to give us some depth behind Harper next year. 

We are in the market for a GT PG/CG. We were looking at Justin Coleman, but he ended up at Arizona. Gotta find somebody willing to be a 5-8 mpg type guy to fill that minor hole in the roster. 

I updated the chart in the OP. We don't have a scholarship freshman on the roster for the 2018-2019 season unless Stretch reclassifies, which now doesn't seem as likely. That puts a HUGE emphasis on this 2019 class, which just so happens to be loaded with talent. We will lose 3 seniors, and I think it's likely that Wiley and Purifoy will move on after this season. And I believe we will be short two scholarship players going into the season. So, that could be a total of 7 scholarships available for the 2019-2020 season. We're probably going to take at least 4 HS recruits in this upcoming class and still a transfer/grad transfer or two.

If we are going to take 4-5 HS seniors any news on ones we seem to have a legitimate interest in and in which the interest is reciprocated. I have only seen the one PF so far as a possibility.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If we are going to take 4-5 HS seniors any news on ones we seem to have a legitimate interest in and in which the interest is reciprocated. I have only seen the one PF so far as a possibility.

Issac Okoro, Jaylin Williams, and Kobe Brown are three names to watch. Akingbola is committed now and will likely be in that class. Still probably need another HS kind and a  couple of veteran transfers to go along with that freshman group.

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2018 at 1:05 PM, AUDub said:

We are in the market for a GT PG/CG. We were looking at Justin Coleman, but he ended up at Arizona. Gotta find somebody willing to be a 5-8 mpg type guy to fill that minor hole in the roster. 

Geez that's terrible gas mileage.

56 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Update chart to include Okoro

No point putting commits on there til they enroll at AU. If you notice Stretch Akingbo is not on there either & he's been committed a very long time.

• 2 months later...

Definitely an interesting topic. Thing about competitive college bball like we just saw this past offseason is that there's no real predicting the roster for the future. Kids will leave for the draft or transfer in a heart beat if they feel like it. So in some ways this is a bit mute, but you also gotta plan for the future. I can foresee a scenario where 2019 is a rebuilding year (for Bruce's standards) and I can also see a scenario where it's another, hopefully, dominant team. A lot of it depends on what Harper and Chuma decide to do. We keep those guys and add the pieces that we're adding in the 19 recruiting class, and we'll have another great team. Lose both of them and it gets dicey. 2020 is just too far ahead to speculate about.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2018 at 3:42 PM, ellitor said:

No point putting commits on there til they enroll at AU. If you notice Stretch Akingbo is not on there either & he's been committed a very long time.

Quoting E and paging @boomstick ... with a thought on this.

Would it be worth including commitments in the chart, but maybe in a different color/font (like a light grey) to indicate they're "penciled in" but not fully on board. Seems germane to the discussion since we're all trying to get a feel for where the roster might stand and what our recruiting needs might be.

This would make sense to my graphical mind, but I understand it might not make sense to others, so no sweat either way.

4 hours ago, looney said:

Would it be worth including commitments in the chart, but maybe in a different color/font (like a light grey) to indicate they're "penciled in" but not fully on board. Seems germane to the discussion since we're all trying to get a feel for where the roster might stand and what our recruiting needs might be.

You are correct but it would severely reduce the need & effectiveness of my yearly recruiting threads. HaHa!

• 2 weeks later...

I think that fbi stuff obviously killed the 2018 recruiting efforts. Didn’t effect the team much this season, but not signing any HS kids in the last class could potentially rear its ugly head next year IF some kids decide to leave early. If Chuma and Harper leave, then AU will probably be middle of the sec/tourney bubble squad next year. But if they stay, then I don’t see the train stopping any more for as long as Bruce is here. The 2019 class will go down as one of AU’s goat b-ball classes and it may be topped by the 2020 class too. I look for 3-4 years of dominance when those children arrive at the plains

21 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I think that fbi stuff obviously killed the 2018 recruiting efforts.

FBI didn't kill 2018 much. The plan was to only sign 1 which would have been EJ Montgomery but the issues his sister had with the women's team killed that from happening.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

FBI didn't kill 2018 much. The plan was to only sign 1 which would have been EJ Montgomery but the issues his sister had with the women's team killed that from happening.

And that's a damn shame...........dumb dumb dumb

Archived