Men's Roster Breakdown Through 2022

boomstick

I edited the image to include the current roster and the incoming recruits. Still gives an idea of how many scholarships we have available and what holes need to be filled, based on what we have currently on the roster and signed to come play here. As we add more signees, I will adjust it again  

Auburn roster.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good deal. I just think it’s important to see where the roster stands and what we can and can’t do with scholarships and recruits and transfers. Gonna be a fun but interesting time for the next couple of years until we can establish some more stability. 

I would expect we will have some early exits to the big time.

Will be interesting to watch the new blood come in to fill those needs.

37 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I would expect we will have some early exits to the big time.

Will be interesting to watch the new blood come in to fill those needs.

IMO we can handle Heron leaving early and not getting Wiley or Purifoy back this year. Would be much tougher to navigate if all that happened after next season. But if all those guys return, we should be poised to have a phenomenal season next year. So there’s some give and take there. I’ll take a Final Four run if we have to have a rebuilding year the next season. 

I think it is overly optimistic to pencil Wiley into the lineup next year. ..same for DP.  Bruce needs to get out and beat the bushes for some young talent this year ...

Probably hampered by the incomplete NCAA and FBI business but the performance of the team should enable him to get through the doors of some kids who previously might not have considered AU.  AND wondering what the CP business has done to recruiting....he was a big name and probably was leading the effort before suffering the major brain cramp. 

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think it is overly optimistic to pencil Wiley into the lineup next year. ..same for DP.  Bruce needs to get out and beat the bushes for some young talent this year ...

Probably hampered by the incomplete NCAA and FBI business but the performance of the team should enable him to get through the doors of some kids who previously might not have considered AU.  AND wondering what the CP business has done to recruiting....he was a big name and probably was leading the effort before suffering the major brain cramp. 

I put them in there because they’re still technically on the roster. I don’t expect either back, but I was doing it more as a numbers game for what we have on the roster, where the age clusters and position clusters are, and where our needs might be in future recruiting classes. 

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Bruce needs to get out and beat the bushes for some young talent this year ...

Bruce doesn't like the young talent available in 2018. Whatever departures there are after the season I expect him to fill w/ transfers and/or grad transfers.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Bruce doesn't like the young talent available in 2018. Whatever departures there are after the season I expect him to fill w/ transfers and/or grad transfers.

I think the very good young talent is already claimed....hard to believe out of tens of thousands of HS basketball players there are none out there who could improve our roster.

Getting transfers is sort of a plan except frequently we don't know who is or will be available until the last minute.   Just looking at the roster it seems we will have a solid core for a couple years but including AW and DP anywhere in the future is really a roll of the dice. Don't see DP going to the NBA but don't see him playing at AU either.   Would be nice to get another Spencer sized guy...maybe a little bigger...and with some bulk...who can do some rebounding.     

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Getting transfers is sort of a plan except frequently we don't know who is or will be available until the last minute.

True but given the work of this team this year, if they finish in the sweet 16 or better & the core of the team back next year, you gotta think AU will have it's pick of the litter to fill the holes the staff sees on roster. We should be able to add 2 high quality transfers IMO.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:02 AM, ellitor said:

True but given the work of this team this year, if they finish in the sweet 16 or better & the core of the team back next year, you gotta think AU will have it's pick of the litter to fill the holes the staff sees on roster. We should be able to add 2 high quality transfers IMO.

Isn't it possible that the new transfer rules go into affect in time for 2019? I.e. the no sitting out, free for all?

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Isn't it possible that the new transfer rules go into affect in time for 2019? I.e. the no sitting out, free for all?

Have no clue & I'm not crossing that bridge til the NCAA actually builds it.

7 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I believe the NCAA shot that down, or at least parts of it, earlier this week. They may allow a one-time transfer in certain circumstances, but it won’t be a blanket thing and won’t allow a free transfer anywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest worry for this team come tournament time is inexperience in big games. When we needed a big shot tonight from Okeke, he wasn’t ready for the moment. Brown & Harper also couldn’t make big shots on the road when needed. That experience will be huge for next year if we can get everybody back.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:52 PM, CameronCrazy said:

My biggest worry for this team come tournament time is inexperience in big games. When we needed a big shot tonight from Okeke, he wasn’t ready for the moment. Brown & Harper also couldn’t make big shots on the road when needed. That experience will be huge for next year if we can get everybody back.

I thought Okeke looked ready. He didn't hesitate and took a good shot. It just didn't go in. That's not an indication of the moment being too big IMO. Shots just don't always fall. Now, I do agree we haven't been in very many close games in the second half lately (aTm, Kentucky, and Florida are the only ones that come to mind), and that could be a bit of an issue, considering we haven't fared great in those games. But I still think this team has enough shotmakers and good FT shooters to feel comfortable about our chances in late-game situations.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thread.  Thank you for your breakdown and those who added info.

:wareagle:

• 2 weeks later...

So, there's some talk that Purifoy might actually get his eligibility back for next season. He might have to sit a few games, but it sounds more promising that he's able to return than I thought was possible. And that might throw a bit of a monkey wrench into the depth chart and rotation for next year. This offseason could have a serious impact on the next 2-3 teams, depending on who stays and who leaves and what options that leaves Bruce and the coaches.

35 minutes ago, boomstick said:

So, there's some talk that Purifoy might actually get his eligibility back for next season. He might have to sit a few games, but it sounds more promising that he's able to return than I thought was possible. And that might throw a bit of a money wrench into the depth chart and rotation for next year. This offseason could have a serious impact on the next 2-3 teams, depending on who stays and who leaves and what options that leaves Bruce and the coaches.

So was that an intentional mistake or was that really supposed to be monkey wrench?  I mean it may be just a little soon for that to be funny.  Hard to say

3 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

So was that an intentional mistake or was that really supposed to be monkey wrench?  I mean it may be just a little soon for that to be funny.  Hard to say

'Twas but a typing error. But if you know where I can find a money wrench, I'll share some of the proceeds. Maybe Danjel could point us in the right direction (I kid, I kid!).

Well, the guy I felt least confident about returning and being on this list when I made it is actually returning. I'll update the sheet to remove the current year later today, and I'll update it again once we get info on Wiley and Heron.

Archived