2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

Just now, War to the Eagle said:

I thought he was Cane-bound.

Don't think so & you just can't go off crystal ball to get that opinion, especially when none of the picks are recent. The last thing I saw from the AU side is UGA is in good shape w/ him.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roos said:

Any news on Adonis Otey? sounds like a good Safety? maybe a CB? 

I answered this post a few hours ago. Not sure why it didn't take. There's a free article I'm posting on him below. Not sure there's enough here to create a thread yet but Woodson & to a lesser extent Brown have done a good job of recruiting the DB position. So much so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out with so many DBs wanting in.

Auburn offers, makes move for Rivals100 cornerback

Jeffrey Lee

AUBURN | Auburn on Wednesday made a move for Rivals100 cornerback Adonis Otey

Otey, a four-star recruit from Blackman (Tenn.), camped at Auburn and left with an offer and a favorable impression of the Tigers.

“It felt great,” Otey said of the offer. “I got to work out with Coach (Marcus) Woodson and Coach (Greg) Brown and let them see how I am. They saw how my speed was and how I play fast. They saw I could fit with their program. They do a lot of press man at corner. That’s what I can do best.”

Otey also toured the campus, facilities and spent a lot of time with Woodson, who is recruiting him to Auburn.

“(Woodson) is a great coach and he knows what he’s doing,” Otey said. "He coached one of my former workout partners, T.J. Carter, at Memphis. I’m close with him.”

Otey said Auburn is now a serious contender for him.

“They’re one of my top schools now that I’ve gotten up here and seen everything and talked to the coaches,” Otey said. “This is a great program with a great defense. It’s a nice place with great coaches.”

Otey plans to announce his commitment Aug. 1. He said his top schools are Auburn, Louisville, Ohio State and Oklahoma, and only plans to take one official visit.

“Wherever I commit to is where I will take an official visit to,” Otey said.

After Wednesday, it could be to Auburn.

“I like it, just the history here,” Otey said. “They always been a great program and the defense is always top-notch. And I love the campus.”

Rivals ranks Otey, who measured Wednesday at 5-foot-11 1/2and 178 pounds, the No. 12 cornerback in the 2019 class, the No. 4 player from Tennessee and No. 94 in the Rivals100.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

all

Auburn plans slightly smaller wide receiver group with 2019 recruiting class

Updated 7:00 AM; Posted 7:00 AM

Gallery: Hoover's George Pickens

2 shares

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

Editor's note: This is the third of a nine-part series analyzing Auburn's position-by-position recruiting wishlist for the 2019 class. 

After stocking up on wide receivers in the 2018 class, Auburn is planning for a slightly smaller group in the 2019 cycle.

The Tigers signed four wide receivers this year, including four-star prospects Anthony Schwartz, Matthew Hill and Seth Williams, as well as three-star receiver Shedrick Jackson. That, combined with the fact that Auburn will lose only two senior receivers to graduation -- Ryan Davis and Will Hastings, barring a medical redshirt for Hastings, who tore his ACL in the spring -- after this season, mean the team will have plenty of depth for 2019. As such, Auburn is planning to sign three wide receivers with its 2019 class.

ADVERTISING

The Tigers already have two of those three locked in for this class, with commits from four-star receivers George Pickens and three-star wideout Ja'Varrius Johnson.

Pickens is Auburn's longest-standing commit in the 2019 class, having kicked off the Tigers' impressive run on the recruiting trail with a commitment 11 months ago. The 6-foot-4, 190-pounder out of Hoover is rated as the No. 8 receiver in the nation, the fourth-best player in Alabama and the 51st overall prospect in the 2019 class.

Pickens, who has been playing 7-on-7 this offseason with quarterback Bo Nix, a fellow Auburn commit, is the Tigers' second-highest rated commit in this class, behind only five-star linebacker Owen Pappoe.

Johnson is one of the newest members of Auburn's 2019 class, committing nearly two weeks ago after impressing the coaching staff at an on-campus camp. The 5-foot-9, 164-pounder out of Hewitt-Trussville may lack in size, but he makes up for it in speed -- fitting a similar mold to former Hewitt-Trussville receiver Noah Igbinoghene, who is now likely to start at cornerback as a sophomore for Auburn.

While Johnson is only a three-star recruit and rated as the No. 212 receiver in the class, his stock has been on the rise in recent weeks -- garnering an offer from Mississippi State less than a week before he was offered by Auburn -- and his overall rating stands to improve between now and signing day, especially if he puts together a solid senior season.

5-star receiver Jadon Haselwood: Georgia 'probably concerned' about Auburn visit

Jadon Haselwood is sure Georgia isn't too happy to see him visiting Auburn so much.

With those two on board, Auburn has one remaining spot to fill at receiver, with several options still on the table. Chief among those is five-star receiver Jadon Haselwood, the No. 1 receiver in the nation, No. 6 overall prospect in this class--and a Georgia commit. Haselwood visited Auburn earlier this month for Big Cat Weekend -- and has made multiple visits this offseason -- and the Tigers remain in the mix for the 6-foot-3, 195-pounder after giving him something to think about.

Another target is four-star receiver Devonta Lee, the No. 16 receiver in the nation and one of the top recruits in Louisiana. Lee hasn't been to campus since last spring, but back in late March he named Auburn among his top 12 schools. Still, this is expected to come down to LSU and Alabama.

Four-star receiver Elijah Higgins, the nation's No. 17 receiver, was on campus for a visit last week, while four-star receiver Dannis Jackson -- one of the top prospects in Mississippi -- was on campus back in February, and the Tigers remain in the mix for him.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Sports

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, waaegl said:

No mention of Curry?  Thought he was the latest option. 

Tom Green is not a recruiting reporter. It’s why I rarely post AL.com recruiting articles.  AL.com doesn’t have a dedicated Auburn recruiting reporter.

The article misses the mark also because now we are taking 3 to 4 wide receivers.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Tom Green is not a recruiting reporter. It’s why I rarely post AL.com recruiting articles.  AL.com doesn’t have a dedicated Auburn recruiting reporter.

The article misses the mark also because now we are taking 3 to 4 wide receivers.

That’s good to hear about the receiver numbers. Although I guess we already knew that when we took Black Lightning and you told us we were still taking another WR.

This is pretty cool. We could have two commits as captains.

BIG for recruiting.

Edited by WFE12
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great time for Pappoe to get in Cain's ear and get him to commit to the good guys then the two of them can work together on some other high profile players.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

We really hit the jackpot.

I love how he goes up and gets the ball! He has some great hands.

• Like 3

No doubt that he does a great job of high pointing the ball and using his hands. But there was one where he caught it came down and did a super quick cut to lose the db  and slit the two db's covering him. You usually don't see that in a WR as big as him. A big receiver who can make the first guy miss will have a great career.

WHO?! WHO?! WHO?! lol

who.gif

1 minute ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Ok, Keiondre Jones, but who is the 5* RB that came in town?

2020 guy I believe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

WHO?! WHO?! WHO?! lol

who.gif

Huge visitor huh? ?

IMG_0684.GIF

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

We really hit the jackpot.

Resurrect the Pat to Terry connection! George, stay with us man!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Huge visitor huh? ?

IMG_0684.GIF

You just tapped into Golf's nightmare.

• Love 2
  • Haha 2

I can never post this correctly, but Patrick is at it again with the tweets. 

Edited by ellitor
Embedded tweet