Barrett Trotter joins staff as offensive analyst!

GwillMac6

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

I don't know how to feel about this.

Think of it this way... there's no limit on analysts, so even if we're just giving an Auburn guy a foot in the door to work his way up in the coaching ranks, there's no downside for us.

Barrett is a super nice guy or used to be.  Might be a good hire might be a bad hire.  Being an analyst we will probably never know unless one of the coaches specifically points to his help.  

2 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Craig Sanders moved from being a Grad Assistant to Defensive Analyst, also. 

He just needs a job teaching how to have heart. He was the closest thing I ever saw at Auburn to a real Rudy Rudiger.

Instead of more analysts, what they need is one of those "get back" coaches like they have on the sideline.  You know...keeping the HC from creeping too far out onto the field preventing a penalty, etc.

Except, this one's job is to keep Gus out of the offensive meeting room, the OC's office when he's game planning, off the headset when the offense has the ball during a game.....

I'm sure they could call him an "analyst" if they want since that seems en vogue.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Man I am amazed that Gus would bring in a former player or past coaching assistant to be with the program.  That is truly revolutionary.  Maybe if Burns ever leaves he can be promoted to WR coach.  Just having fun guys.

The best thing Barrett ever did was quit the team. Had he stayed for 2012 we might have won 3-4 more games and kept Chizik employed longer. He was certainly better than anything else we had that year. 

I hope Chris Todd gets a nod as an assistant or analyst one day.  He could be a great QB coach in my opinion.  I have seen his coaching that he does here and there the last year or two and have come away impressed.  

And congrats to Trotter!  Welcome home!

55 minutes ago, alexava said:

Like I said about Al Borges. You’ll never know he’s there. 

So, you think THIS is Gus' real purpose for all these analysts?

200.gif

My understanding is that he is going to scout the message boards and find potential individuals to wear hounds tooth, crimson, and repeatedly sing Dixie Land Delight to simulate hostile environments.

Mean really, many of these analysts do nothing but watch film and fetch coffee.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

So, you think THIS is Gus' real purpose for all these analysts?

200.gif

No every team has analysts and they are not seen or heard from during the season. 

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

No every team has analysts and they are not seen or heard from during the season. 

Umm.. Thank you?

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Umm.. Thank you?

What i mean is, i am glad for Barrett. He deserves it. But there will not be a game or play next season that we win and in the post game presser, Gus or Chip says " we owe all the credit to this game plan to Barrett". None. So as far as for Auburn's success it matters not.

• WarTiger changed the title to Barrett Trotter joins staff as offensive analyst!
2 hours ago, alexava said:

What i mean is, i am glad for Barrett. He deserves it. But there will not be a game or play next season that we win and in the post game presser, Gus or Chip says " we owe all the credit to this game plan to Barrett". None. So as far as for Auburn's success it matters not.

Oh, absolutely.  I imagine it's mostly breaking down opponent's D film or self-scouting AU's O film and giving notes to the Offensive Coaches for their meetings basically.  Then getting coffee for the coaches, polishing their shoes, maybe knocking out some laundry...

I was just playing off the "never know he's there" with my (what I thought was brilliant at the time) Invisible Man joke.  Your deadpan reply made me doubt my humble attempt at humor though...

;)

12 hours ago, alexava said:

The best thing Barrett ever did was quit the team. Had he stayed for 2012 we might have won 3-4 more games and kept Chizik employed longer. He was certainly better than anything else we had that year. 

You could be right, but I think Loeffler could have screwed up any QB we had.

12 hours ago, alexava said:

Like I said about Al Borges. You’ll never know he’s there. 

So true. 

I like to see AU coaches give the younger guys a chance.  Coaching in college football can be the road to a prosperous life for those who have what it takes....but someone has to enable them to make the first step.    Good for BT ...and good for Gus...

Barrett Trotter had this uncanny ability to throw Pick 6's...Or am I thinking of Clint Mosley? One of them, every single time they threw an INT, it was also a touchdown. Man what a rough few years of QBs...

Barrett Trotter

Clint Moseley

Kiehl Frazier

Brandon Cox - way overachieved 

Kodi Burns

Jonathan Wallace

Jeremy Johnson

All great guys, as far as being decent human beings goes, but dear lord we have had a rough slate of QBs over the years...

I think it was Moseley you're thinking of with the Pick-6s. Trotter was never the same after the Clemson game in 2011 - something happened in the 2nd half, think he got banged up and was never 100% after that. His play declined the next several games until he got pulled vs. UF for Moseley. Then he had that awesome Peach Bowl performance against UVA when Moseley went down and everyone loved him again. Then he said he was leaving. I always though Trotter was the best of that bunch but that was not saying a whole lot. He could maximize his own abilities but had a relatively low ceiling - kind of like a responsible Sean White - capable of making most if not all of the throws but limited by lack of overt athleticism and size. He's good enough to get you 7-8 wins on the season but would need a lot of help from a supporting cast to get you to championship level success.

That said, he's been with the Rams for at least a season or two now as an offensive analyst and he was coaching at Briarwood right after he left Auburn. He's got at least some promise for coaching in the future.

5 minutes ago, lca408 said:

I think it was Moseley you're thinking of with the Pick-6s. Trotter was never the same after the Clemson game in 2011 - something happened in the 2nd half, think he got banged up and was never 100% after that. His play declined the next several games until he got pulled vs. UF for Moseley. Then he had that awesome Peach Bowl performance against UVA when Moseley went down and everyone loved him again. Then he said he was leaving. I always though Trotter was the best of that bunch but that was not saying a whole lot. He could maximize his own abilities but had a relatively low ceiling - kind of like a responsible Sean White - capable of making most if not all of the throws but limited by lack of overt athleticism and size. He's good enough to get you 7-8 wins on the season but would need a lot of help from a supporting cast to get you to championship level success.

That said, he's been with the Rams for at least a season or two now as an offensive analyst and he was coaching at Briarwood right after he left Auburn. He's got at least some promise for coaching in the future.

Don't forget, Barrett also looked better than Cam in the one A-Day Game they both played in. Still he was from the days where we didn't try so hard to get a top QB.  He was the 49th best QB in his recruiting class.

Archived