Softball Tiger Invite

Tiger Invite runs today through Sunday.  Our first opponent is the Delaware Blue Hens located in Newark, Delaware with on campus enrollment of aprox. 16,800.  Today will be the first game of their season.  I noticed last year they cancelled their 2017 Blue Hen Invitational on March 18-19 because of snow.  Last year overall record was 24-29.  Our other opponent today is the Saint Francis Red Flash, a Catholic University in Loretto, PA.  Their enrollment was around 2,700 in 2015.  Last year they were 49-11 and won their North East Conference with perfect 16-0 record.  This year they are 3-2.  Played in the Tucson Regionals last year and were eliminated by two losses to South Carolina.  Today, I look for Auburn to pluck the hens and flush the Flash or something like that.  Game starts 3PM.

First game up today (Saturday, 2-17) will be Maryland Terps.  They played last week in UCLA Tournament and went 1-4.  Lone win was over Middle Tennessee.  The game vs. top 10 UCLA was a 1-5 loss.  This is 3rd season for Coach Julie Wright who followed Courtney Deifel (now Arkansas HC).  In Deifel's single season the Terps went 27-27 which was an improvement over prior season.  In 2017 they won 11 games with a "claim to fame " victory over Florida in the early season.  Both of her assistants "exited" at the end of last season and they have new hitting and pitching coaches. I believe they have had a lot of player turn-over as well.  Their 4 early season losses have not been by any big margins (1 - 5 runs).  2nd baseman Sky Ellazar seems to be best hitter.  Don't know much about the pitching.

For Saturday's games, the word was PITCHING.  Auburn gave up 1-run and only 3-hits between the two games (and the goofy part was the one run was not related to any of the hits: walk, FC, FC, Passed ball).  Carlson gave up the run and 1 hit and I believe one walk (don't remember how many strikeouts), while Martin had a complete game, 2-hit shutout and I think also 9 strikeouts with only 1 walk (HBP).  I may be off of the walks.  Chardonnay Harris came in to finish the first game and had 2 strikeouts.

Granted these are not SEC teams but we didn't have this level of pitching performance early in the last two seasons.

Also, glad to see the bats heating up and being a bit more consistent.  Veach seems to be the one still struggling the most.  I do like her but could also see a move to put McCrackin at 3rd and use Veach as a backup.  She makes a great utility to be able to fill in at 3rd, 1st or Catcher, but I believe others are doing more on the offense at those positions.

I had the same thought re Veach and McCrackin, but Crack is only hitting .111 right now herself.  She got a hit in her first AB, and hasn't had one since.  Dowell is in the same boat.

Tigers finish the Tiger Invite and remain undefeated and 13-0 on the season.  Only made the second game Sunday so missed the NO-HITTER by Mykala Martin in the first game (5 innings, 1BB, no hits, no errors, not sure how many strikeouts).  Looked like AU hit pretty well in the game and took advantage of some Maryland mistakes to win it in 5 innings.  Second game was only a 1-hitter.  Carlson with the start and had the perfect game going through first 4.1 innings but gave up a hit in the 5th inning that resulted in the next batter hitting into a double play.  Carlson pitched 5 innings and then turned it over to Chardonnay Harris who finished out the game and only gave up 1 walk.  Seven strikeouts for the two in the game.

Perry and Rivera picked up their batting average compared to last weekend.  Tannon improved as well.  Veach is still struggling.  Crocker not as effective this weekend as she was last weekend.  I understand Taylon had an ankle injury (sprain) and Crocker (finger or wrist) also left the game.

Next up, Tigers travel out west for the Mary Nutter classic and first game is on Wednesday.

wondering if there is any word on the injuries to Taylon and KK.  I didn't see Taylon's, but KK fell on her hand or something, and was in a deal of pain.  I didn't see either in the dugout for the GSU game.

Taylon stepped on the edge of 2nd base and appeared to slightly roll her ankle. I turned on the post game radio broadcast and coach said both were just sprains. Also a similar report in one of the news articles I saw. Coach did not seem concerned. I think the most recent radio broadcast with JJ have been a lot better than many I have heard in the past.

Archived