Sorry for the long hiatus

channonc

Hey all,

Just wanted to drop in to apologize for my long hiatus in posting in this forum. After the election, it was a bit crazy in my world. But now that some of my clients are getting used to the truly unpredictableness of DC these days it is a bit better. I hope to get back to posting more in here and rejoining the (hopefully civil) debate.

War Eagle!

Can you say what business you are speaking of?  Welcome back. Not much going on here to debate about anymore though. Everyone agrees and gets along ?

41 minutes ago, alexava said:

Just don’t tell me you rep the NRA. 

This is meant to be a curiosity question and not an argument starter:

How much of the blame should go to the NRA and how much should go to the slimeballs who take their money? I'd probably say 25-75%.

4 minutes ago, Grumps said:

This is meant to be a curiosity question and not an argument starter:

How much of the blame should go to the NRA and how much should go to the slimeballs who take their money? I'd probably say 25-75%.

They are equal

18 hours ago, channonc said:

I work in DC as one of those “L” words. (Not a lawyer). 

Welcome back! 

BTW, my nephew is right there with you. Only get to see him a few times a year, but eagerly await the opportunities to visit. His stories are epic. 

59 minutes ago, alexava said:

They are equal

It seems to me that trying to buy someone's vote is not as bad as receiving money for their vote. If the politicians who are supposed to represent us would be ethical then it would not matter what influence people were trying to buy.

18 hours ago, channonc said:

I work in DC as one of those “L” words. (Not a lawyer). 

Welcome back! I don't think you will find that the forum has changed much.

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

It seems to me that trying to buy someone's vote is not as bad as receiving money for their vote. If the politicians who are supposed to represent us would be ethical then it would not matter what influence people were trying to buy.

I am torn on that one. but a bit hypocritical too. if i agree with the cause i would donate myself. i know, i know. If i was a congressman i would accept money but not let it change my positions. (or i hope not.)

16 hours ago, alexava said:

I am torn on that one. but a bit hypocritical too. if i agree with the cause i would donate myself. i know, i know. If i was a congressman i would accept money but not let it change my positions. (or i hope not.)

I would hope an honorable politician would sit down with a lobbyist, listen to what they propose, and, only upon confirmation that the desires of the lobbying group align with the principles of the politician, accept campaign contributions.

I know that's a bit utopian.

3 hours ago, HVAU said:

I would hope an honorable politician would sit down with a lobbyist, listen to what they propose, and, only upon confirmation that the desires of the lobbying group align with the principles of the politician, accept campaign contributions.

I know that's a bit utopian.

It is a bit utopian, but still seems possible. It is because politicians are human that campaign finance laws need to be MUCH better. It is obvious why politicians won't make laws that would stop their ability to receive money for corrupt reasons.

27 minutes ago, Grumps said:

It is a bit utopian, but still seems possible. It is because politicians are human that campaign finance laws need to be MUCH better. It is obvious why politicians won't make laws that would stop their ability to receive money for corrupt reasons.

The SCOTUS failed to provide a check on the legislative branch with the Citizens United.  We are now starting to see the results of allowing corporations to blur the line between business operations and electioneering operations, funding campaigns of politicians with very limited oversight.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:40 PM, channonc said:

Hey all,

Just wanted to drop in to apologize for my long hiatus in posting in this forum. After the election, it was a bit crazy in my world. But now that some of my clients are getting used to the truly unpredictableness of DC these days it is a bit better. I hope to get back to posting more in here and rejoining the (hopefully civil) debate.

War Eagle!

Would you have been able to keep posting had Hillary won that election.....15 months ago? just asking channonc. apologies accepted

On 2/18/2018 at 5:58 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Would you have been able to keep posting had Hillary won that election.....15 months ago? just asking channonc. apologies accepted

No offense taken. Probably, but not for the reasons you think. Work has significantly increased since the election on unexpected ways and I just haven’t had the time to post. I’m hoping that I can now find a bit more time that will allow me to be more active again. 

Archived