5. Auburn 528.5

MEN’S TEAM SCORES AFTER DAY 4
1. Florida 876
2. Texas A&M 779
3. Georgia 753.5
4. Tennessee 690
5. Missouri 604.5
6. Auburn 575.5

I recall the days at the SEC meet when Auburn was battling for #1, not the middle of the pack program...

Women’s Diving SEC Championship:

1 Meter Springboard -

Sophomore Allison Maillard 7th

Freshman Erin Norton 33rd

3 Meter Springboard- 

Allison Maillard 10th

Erin Norton 31st

Platform-

Allison Maillard 5th

Erin Norton 8th

Men’s Diving SEC Championship:

1 Meter Springboard -

Junior Scott Lazeroff 11th

Senior Peter Turnham 17th

Freshman Logan Andrews 20th

3 Meter Springboard- 

Scott Lazeroff 13th

Peter Turnham 21st

Logan Andrews 22nd

Platform-

Scott Lazeroff 2nd

Logan Andrews 17th

2 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

I recall the days at the SEC meet when Auburn was battling for #1, not the middle of the pack program...

The Auburn men won 18 straight SEC championships, and the women several as well. It hasn't been that long ago either. Went to the women's NCAA championships at AU several years ago and the Auburn women had such a lead that they let several down the line swimmers compete on the last day and still won that national championship by a large margin. Those days are gone now.

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

The Auburn men won 18 straight SEC championships, and the women several as well. It hasn't been that long ago either. Went to the women's NCAA championships at AU several years ago and the Auburn women had such a lead that they let several down the line swimmers compete on the last day and still won that national championship by a large margin. Those days are gone now.

The big question is, why have we fallen so far. I mean, I know Marsh was the man, but other things must have transpired for us to fall as far as we have. Are our facilities lacking compared to other SEC schools? Are we not offering as much scholarship money? What is making the best of the best swimmers not choose us?

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

The big question is, why have we fallen so far. I mean, I know Marsh was the man, but other things must have transpired for us to fall as far as we have. Are our facilities lacking compared to other SEC schools? Are we not offering as much scholarship money? What is making the best of the best swimmers not choose us?

Coaching.

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Coaching.

So you are saying that all of the other SEC schools that we've fallen behind have better coaches? From what I've been able to tell, Hawke is pretty highly respected in the sport. I mean, I know he's not Marsh, but how many coaches are at his level (including him, considering its been over a decade since his NCAA runs with Auburn). Hawk won an NCAA championship his first year coaching the men and SEC Championships his first 4 years.  What that tells me is the issue is getting the swimmers and not coaching them once they are here.

21 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

We wouldn't have to battle for 1st. We could show up knowing we would win, and everyone else knew this as well. Same went for the NCAA's most years.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

So you are saying that all of the other SEC schools that we've fallen behind have better coaches? From what I've been able to tell, Hawke is pretty highly respected in the sport. I mean, I know he's not Marsh, but how many coaches are at his level (including him, considering its been over a decade since his NCAA runs with Auburn). Hawk won an NCAA championship his first year coaching the men and SEC Championships his first 4 years.  What that tells me is the issue is getting the swimmers and not coaching them once they are here.

Hawke won with Dave and Richard Quick's swimmers and on the tail of Richard's training process.  Richard was Dave's mentor.  I have heard that his training regimen is not that of Dave's and the results prove it.  Not that many kids train in ultra incredible facilities and would be thrilled to be at AU.  Facilities are not so much the issue.  It's coaching.  Good coaching brings good swimmers.  The glitz and glitter is not as necessary in swimming.  Look at Bama, they are in a 30+ year old facility and beating us the last two NCAA's.

Coaching in the bigger picture -- recruiting. Marsh was a really great recruiter -- especially elite foreign swimmers. At this point, Auburn's recruiting just isn't competitive even in the SEC, much less nationally. Great kids, work their butts off, but just not elite.

2 hours ago, AURex said:

Coaching in the bigger picture -- recruiting. Marsh was a really great recruiter -- especially elite foreign swimmers. At this point, Auburn's recruiting just isn't competitive even in the SEC, much less nationally. Great kids, work their butts off, but just not elite.

That's what I was wondering about. I'm a little surprised Hawke struggles internationally, considering he came from Australia.

I think Marsh had success recruiting internationally because he was often on the Olympic coaching team, so he had higher visibility, but also the image of knowing what it takes to make the Olympics and how to get there.

I'm disappointed that Hawke has not been able to attract elite Aussie swimmers to Auburn. There's lots of talent down under.

IMO, Auburn is overdue for a change in coaching in the swimming program. It is obvious, at this point, that both men and women are going in the wrong direction.

Just wanted to express my displeasure with the team results of this past SEC meet...nothing against the swimmers....but as mentioned earlier...I remember when we weren't concern with the SEC title (that was given), but the NCAA title...now we're middle of the pack of the SEC??? and even Kentucky finished above us????? 

Whatever we need to do to get back, let's do it.....

• 3 weeks later...

with the new AD, maybe its time to go after Marsh and let bygones be bygones.  I think Marsh would strongly consider coming back if given a package to his liking.  Just an idea of sorts.

Women finish 16th in the NCAA championship. Auburn had only 1 (one) swimmer make the finals in any event, finishing 7th in the 100 free.

SEC schools finishing ahead of Auburn -- Tennessee, A&M, UGA, and Kentucky. Other powerhouse swimming programs finishing ahead of Auburn included Minnesota and Louisville.

The ladies work hard, compete ferociously, but as a team, the talent just isn't where it ought to be. Time for a coaching change.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to the 2017-2018 Men's S&D team.

Auburn finished in 12th in the team race with 98.5 points. Texas claimed a fourth-straight national championship with 449 points, topping second place Cal (437.5) by just 11.5 points. Indiana (422) was third, NC State (385) fourth and Florida (347) fifth.

The men's program qualified 8 swimmers for the championships and 2 divers.  A full men's team is composed of 17 swimmers and 2 divers. ( Divers count as 1/2 people. You could take 18 swimmers)  Zach Apple had a killer meet.  Marsh, in the day, would actually have to decide which qualifiers he had to leave home for NCAA's. 

Auburn’s All-American Honors
(8 Individuals, 20 Honors)
Zach Apple – 50 Free, 100 Free HM, 200 Free, 200 FR HM, 400 FR
Tommy Brewer – 200 Breast, 400 MR HM
Hugo Gonzalez – 200 IM HM, 400 MR HM
Santiago Grassi – 200 FR HM, 400 FR, 400 MR HM
Peter Holoda – 100 Free HM, 200 FR HM, 400 FR, 400 MR HM
Scott Lazeroff - Platform
Luis Martinez – 200 FR HM
Liam McCloskey – 200 FR HM, 400 FR

HM-Honorable Mention- Means scored, but not top 8.

FR-Free Relay

MR-Medley Relay

We had four swimmers actually score in individual events and one diver.   The rest scored on relays. 

We were 4th amongst SEC teams: 5th UF, 10th UGA- 129 points, 11th UT-123 points, 12th AU- 98 points, Bama 13th- 95 points.  A relatively weak showing for the SEC.

Sad.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/c-swim/recaps/032418aac.html

March 28, 2018

Following a successful 10-year head coaching career at his alma mater, Brett Hawke has announced his resignation as the head coach of the Auburn swimming and diving program.

“I have enjoyed my time leading and giving back to a team and university that has given so much to me,” Hawke said. “After 10 years as the head coach, I feel it is time for me to find a new challenge and for the swimming and diving program to have a new leader. My wife Trudi and I have loved being a part of the Auburn community both as students and as parents. War Eagle forever.”

“I would like to thank Coach Hawke for all of his outstanding contributions to Auburn Swimming and Diving and for his 10 years of service to our student-athletes,” Auburn Athletics Director Allen Greene said. “We will begin the search for our next head coach immediately. Our goal is to find the best fit for Auburn, win conference and national championships and develop our student-athletes to be successful in life.”

Hawke concludes his Auburn coaching career having guided the men’s program to 10 top-12 finishes, eight top-10 finishes and the 2009 National Championship and taking the women’s program to six top-15 finishes and four top-10 finishes.

The 2009 NCAA Coach of the Year and 2012 SEC Coach of the Year, he has guided Auburn swimmers to 64 individual SEC titles, 11 NCAA individual titles and 479 All-America honors. In addition, 14 Olympians have trained under him at Auburn.

Hawke swam at Auburn from 1997-99 and was a part of two National Championship winning teams.

• 3 weeks later...

any news yet on the new HC?  AD Greene could add a huge feather in his cap if he could bring David Marsh back home to where he belongs. I can see Marsh within 2-3 years winning the SEC and beyond. He could take the current talent and get far more out of them that Brett was able to. I would think in 3 years, we would have top shelve talent swimming for Auburn and within 10 years the lions share of SEC and a few NCAA championships along the way.  What a great story this would be!

Archived