How do we look in baseball?

That I am located in Louisiana, for obvious reasons I have a difficult time seeing Auburn play. What's everyone's thoughts on this year's team and how does our bullpen look? I understand that it's hard to tell right now after just three games, but thought I'd give it a shot anyways. 

Looking at the pre-season polls and I think that everyone in the SEC west except us is ranked already....Once we get into March it's gonna be a really tough schedule and with Florida and Kentucky on schedule,  our SOS ought to be off the charts.

Pitching looks solid.  Fully expect Burns to be our Saturday starter by SEC play with Daniel on Sundays.  Solid in the field.  No errors this weekend, which is an encouraging start.  I'm a little concerned about the offense, but there's not enough info to go in yet to sound the alarms.  Lots of runs on Saturday, but we struggled at the plate Friday and Sunday for stretches.

Our first real test isn't until we play at South Alabama.  Schedule is pretty soft until SEC play, so we need to run up the wins while we can. A .500 record in conference will be an accomplishment as we got one of the worst draws you can have.  8 of our 10 series are against current Top 20 teams.  However, it's very possible we will have two of the top arms in the conference by season's end.  Mize is already there and Burns shows some serious promise.

The addition of Steve Smith has not been talked about much, but I believe he's going to really help this pitching staff.  He's already got his guys hammering the bottom of the strike zone.  That is something to be impressed with no matter who the competition.  Calvin Coker threw almost nothing but strikes in two appearances and it seems that every guy that went to the mound over the weekend has added significant velocity on their fastball.  There was a time when we just about didn't have a single arm out of the bullpen that could throw 90 or better (which might have led to Keegan Thompson and Daniel Robert blowing out elbows in recent years).  Now just about everybody can.  I think our pitching and defense will be top of the conference good.  Offensively, there are some guys that we really need to increase their power numbers this year (Anthony, Davis and Ingram).  I'm pulling for Gabe Gross to help the middle of our lineup to deliver.  As for the schedule, the SEC west in baseball is a good bit better even than in football.  I know Belle loves the culture of respect and appreciation that Butch Thompson has brought to the dugout and I completely agree.  

I like our chances.

10 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Playing in the tough West division will only help come tournament time

Helps us with competition.  Hurts us with hosting chances (unless we finish top 3 in the West).

6 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

That I am located in Louisiana, for obvious reasons I have a difficult time seeing Auburn play. What's everyone's thoughts on this year's team and how does our bullpen look? I understand that it's hard to tell right now after just three games, but thought I'd give it a shot anyways. 

Not sure if you're aware, the games this weekend were on SEC Network + streaming online.  It's not in person, but it's excellent coverage and Mark Fuller is pretty good color guy.  I happened to switch over to the UT v Maryland game after ours was done on Friday night and that broadcast was done with a single camera high above home plate...not great.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

The addition of Steve Smith has not been talked about much, but I believe he's going to really help this pitching staff.  He's already got his guys hammering the bottom of the strike zone.  That is something to be impressed with no matter who the competition.  Calvin Coker threw almost nothing but strikes in two appearances and it seems that every guy that went to the mound over the weekend has added significant velocity on their fastball.  There was a time when we just about didn't have a single arm out of the bullpen that could throw 90 or better (which might have led to Keegan Thompson and Daniel Robert blowing out elbows in recent years).  Now just about everybody can.  I think our pitching and defense will be top of the conference good.  Offensively, there are some guys that we really need to increase their power numbers this year (Anthony, Davis and Ingram).  I'm pulling for Gabe Gross to help the middle of our lineup to deliver.  As for the schedule, the SEC west in baseball is a good bit better even than in football.  I know Belle loves the culture of respect and appreciation that Butch Davis has brought to the dugout and I completely agree.  

I like our chances.

Butch Thompson*. Thank God Butch Davis isn't our baseball coach haha. But I agree, CBT is very well respected in the baseball community and will have us competitive for as long as he's here, which is hopefully a very long time. 

Archived