Softball report

WarTiger

Some interesting tidbits from the weekend in case you missed it. 

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-Softball-Report-Feb-19-115293849

A look back at the week that was and ahead at the week to come in Auburn softball.

THE WEEK THAT WAS

Pitching was the big story as No. 13 Auburn went 7-0 for the week, winning at Troy on Tuesday night and going 6-0 in the Tiger Invite at Jane B. Moore Field.

Starters Makayla Martin and Kaylee Carlson, with some help from relievers Chardonnay Harris and Ashlee Swindle, pitched five shutouts in seven games.

Freshman shortstop Taylon Snow and sophomore infielder KK Crocker were injured in Sunday’s game against Maryland. Snow suffered a twisted ankle and Crocker a jammed thumb. Neither injury is thought to be serious, but they did not play in the final game against Georgia State. It is uncertain when they will return.

The Tigers improved to 13-0 in Mickey Dean’s first season as head coach.

The week’s results

Auburn 5, Troy 0

Auburn 15, Delaware 0 (5 innings)

Auburn 4, St. Francis 3

Auburn 12, Maryland 1 (5 innings)

Auburn 5, St. Francis 0

Auburn 8, Maryland 0

Auburn 5, Georgia State 0

Player of the Week

Freshman shortstop Taylon Snow went 8-for-13 for the week, batting .615. She hit a double and a triple, scored six runs and drove in three.

Pitcher of the Week

On Sunday, Makayla Martin pitched a five-inning no-hitter against Maryland, the first of her career. For the week she pitched 17 scoreless innings, struck out 20 and walked just one. She has yet to give up a run in 42 innings this season.

Other standouts

-- Senior catcher Courtney Shea was 8-for-14 for a .571 average and drove in eight runs.

-- Senior centerfielder Victoria Draper was 7-for-16 for a .437 average and upped her stolen base total to 13 in 15 tries.

-- Sophomore designated player Tannon Snow was 5-for-9 for a .555 average, drove in six runs and hit a home run.

-- Sophomore first baseman Justus Perry was 8-for-20 for a .400 batting average with a home run and two doubles. She drove nine runs.

-- Senior pitcher Kaylee Carlson gave up her first three earned runs of the season but earned three wins. She pitched 18 innings, giving up 10 hits and four runs (three earned). She struck out 21 and walked three.

-- Junior third baseman/catcher Kendall Veach had a home run and double.

-- Junior left fielder Morgan Podany had a home run and two doubles.

-- Sophomore outfielder Alyssa Rivera had a home run and a double.

WHAT’S AHEAD

The Tigers head to the West Coast on Tuesday, where they will face significantly tougher competition than they have to his point. It could be one of the more challenging pre-conference tournaments in recent seasons.

After a game on Wednesday at Cal State-Northridge, the Tigers will play in the Mary Nutter Classic in Cathedral City, Calif., starting with a Thursday game against Notre Dame. They will also play Wisconsin, Oregon State, San Jose State and Long Beach State.

In the Big Ten/ACC Challenge in Tallahassee over the weekend, Notre Dame (6-3) won three straight over ranked teams, beating No. 14 Minnesota 6-5 and 3-0 and No. 19 Michigan 4-3. Wisconsin (4-4) went 2-2 in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. Oregon State (7-4) defeated No. 21 Oklahoma State 8-2 in  its opener. The Beavers lost two closes one at LSU, losing 3-2 and 1-0. They beat Missouri 3-1.

San Jose State is 8-2 with a 7-6 loss to Tennessee. Long Beach State is 9-1, its only loss coming 6-4 to James Madison.

Cal State Northridge is 4-6. It lost to No. 3 Oregon 15-6 in its only game against a ranked team.

The schedule

Wednesday: At Cal State-Northridge, 4:30 p.m. CT

Thursday: Notre Dame, noon CT

Friday: Wisconsin, 2:30 p.m. CT

Saturday: San Jose State, 2:30 p.m. CT

Sunday: Oregon State, 2:30 p.m. CT

Sunday: Long Beach State, 9:30 p.m. CT.

NOTEWORTHY

-- Freshman catch Abby Tissier hasn’t had many chances, but she’s made the most of them. She’s 2-for-2 with a double and a walkoff bases-loaded drive that finished an 8-0 run-rule win over Maryland.

-- Auburn coach Mickey Dean told senior centerfielder Victoria Draper she would get plenty of chances to run, and he’s been true to his word. Draper has 13 stolen bases this season, just five short of total for the past three seasons.

-- Taylon Snow continues to lead the Tigers in hitting with a .545 average. Draper is hitting .500, followed by Perry and .429 and Shea at .417. Perry leads the team in home runs with three and RBIs wit 17.

-- Auburn pitchers have shut out 10 of 13 opponents so far this season. The team ERA is 0.26.

-- Auburn has 26 extra-base hits, including nine home runs, in 13 games. Coaches and players would like for those numbers to go up.

Boy....this week will be a major step-up in the level of competition.  

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Boy....this week will be a major step-up in the level of competition.  

And the teams facing Auburn are saying the same thing....

Will be good to see where this team is early. The SEC will be brutal so getting a few wins this week will boost confidence, especially for the young ones. 

This weekend will let us know where we are nationally.  If we can come home with no or even one loss, lookout SEC.  I sure wish we could watch or even had a feasible way to keep up with the games.  

WAR EAGLE LADIES!!!

23 minutes ago, around4ever said:

This weekend will let us know where we are nationally.  If we can come home with no or even one loss, lookout SEC.  I sure wish we could watch or even had a feasible way to keep up with the games.  

WAR EAGLE LADIES!!!

I haven't checked but maybe a chance one of the opposition teams will have TV coverage.   This is a high quality batch of schools...seems someone would cover some of the games...

Apparently, flosoftball.com will be streaming all of the Mary Nutter Classic games live and on replay.  But you have to sign up for their paid subscription to have access.  I did a quick search of the site but never saw a subscription fee.  But I did see where you can sign up for monthly service.  I may sign up for a month to get the games this weekend.  

On 2/21/2018 at 8:38 AM, around4ever said:

Apparently, flosoftball.com will be streaming all of the Mary Nutter Classic games live and on replay.  But you have to sign up for their paid subscription to have access.  I did a quick search of the site but never saw a subscription fee.  But I did see where you can sign up for monthly service.  I may sign up for a month to get the games this weekend.  

In previous seasons, Auburn has used facebook live to give us a stream of some games.  I'm at work during the week, so I'm not able to tune in to these afternoon games.   Might give that a look and see if they have it up there.   Not going to be any announcer or anything but would at least give some video, just have to keep up very closely to know what is going on.  :lol:

On 2/21/2018 at 9:38 AM, around4ever said:

They must have the exclusive....all school references point to them.

I have only seen flosoftball for video but was not willing to pay for it. The Auburn website, off the schedule has a listen tab and was able to get the AU announcer and listen in that way and that also had a link to gametracker which gave a bit more info - just have to watch the timing of the gametracker display in relation to call on the website.  I also was able to tune in on the radio on station 93.9 in the Auburn area.  Usually, 93.9, 97.9 or 99.9 will have the game being broadcast in the Auburn/Opelika area.  I believe you can also get the audio via AU tune-in app but I have not done that yet.

Bottom of 6th....0-0 and AU bats not doing much today.....but AU pitching been tough too. 

Top 7th.  McCrackin leads off with a double. Podany walks.   Draper infield single, McCrackin scores.   1-0.   Shea doubles to center to score Podany and Draper. 3-0 Tigers.   Rivera singles up the middle and scores Shea.   4-0

FINAL.....TIGERS WIN 4-0

Archived