Offense Needs to Change

Zeek

Looking at the Total Offense rankings we finished #26

#64 Passing Offense

#26 Rushing Offense

T-36th Red Zone Offense

These numbers aren't terrible but I definitely feel like we should be higher in all of these categories if we are supposed to have an "Offensive Mastermind" as our head coach. So the question is, what can we do to be better than we are?

The first struggle is defining what type of offense do we run? It's not a Zone-Read anymore with Jarrett Stidham at quarterback but it's most definitely not a spread with such low passing numbers. So we're instead this weird amalgamation of ideas that just hasn't gelled into what I would call a "system".

I think we could look at Lincoln Riley and his offense that he ran at Oklahoma as a blueprint for something we should aim for. Regardless we have to aim for some type of identity on offense and work towards it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've never really ever been a spread team. We've always been a power running team that used to have some amount of hurry up to it. Spread teams make a living exploiting the shallow and intermediate passes. We've never done that with Gus.

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We've never really ever been a spread team. We've always been a power running team that used to have some amount of hurry up to it. Spread teams make a living exploiting the shallow and intermediate passes. We've never done that with Gus.

I'm an Auburn fan could you please explain what these are.  Thanks in advance for your help.

13 minutes ago, AuGrad2004 said:

I'm an Auburn fan could you please explain what these are.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Somebody please explain it to Gus too

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Looking at the Total Offense rankings we finished #26

#64 Passing Offense

#26 Rushing Offense

T-36th Red Zone Offense

These numbers aren't terrible but I definitely feel like we should be higher in all of these categories if we are supposed to have an "Offensive Mastermind" as our head coach. So the question is, what can we do to be better than we are?

The first struggle is defining what type of offense do we run? It's not a Zone-Read anymore with Jarrett Stidham at quarterback but it's most definitely not a spread with such low passing numbers. So we're instead this weird amalgamation of ideas that just hasn't gelled into what I would call a "system".

I think we could look at Lincoln Riley and his offense that he ran at Oklahoma as a blueprint for something we should aim for. Regardless we have to aim for some type of identity on offense and work towards it.

It is still a zone read, just not the same zone-read that Cam or Nick ran.  This zone read is more for the third option to be a quick pass.  I think we will see more of this really shine next year with CCL gets to really get out there and call his plays.  At that point, you will see where we are throwing the quick passes off the option rather than QB keep.  Whether we do see this or not, the O is still a power running game off the zone-read.  We just will not run the QB as much as we use to.  Just enough to keep people honest like we did sparingly this year.

Get more sophisticated with the passing game and it is going to start with how well JS progresses . I am thinking , at least, in the beginning the passing game will have to open up the run. That means JS is going to have to make quicker reads and trust his deep threats more often. Also means the skeleton routes need to be progressed further along with more options. Of course what this offense needs is a QB who can move. Doesn’t need to be Cam Newton but able to escape and improvise . It is looking that way with the next 3.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Like to know what a "slant pass" is also. 

Even better a slant to a big receiver like NCM or MM that has the ability to shield off a corner or safety rather than Hastings or Davis than get blown off their routes.

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

Led sec in points vs sec teams. Scrap it. 

Unfortunately we play teams out of the SEC as well. I guess we should be content.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Unfortunately we play teams out of the SEC as well. I guess we should be content.

No never content. Realistic. To scrap an offense that had it’s worse games vs the weakest opponents ( minus clempson) is ridiculous. The problem was not the offense. It may have been those particular game plans, change in preparation due to injuries and looking ahead, or lack of emotion for patsy games. But it outpaced the rest of the league in big games. Several possible root causes, hence adjustments, continuous improvements to be made. But to “change the offense “ is ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

But to “change the offense “ is ridiculous. 

In football, the phrase evolve or die is just as applicable as in other areas.  I don't think we need to scrap the O, but there are certainly some aspects that need to evolve and others that need to be tweaked. 

Our runnings game has become stagnant.  We used to use misdirection as well as equally run inside and outside.  However, Last year, we rarely ran outside and never used misdirection. We were very predictable.  Our passing routes need to evolve to exploit the MoF and underneath the safeties. We also desperately need to utilize our backs in the passing game more than swing passed to Barrett. These types of things would evolve the offense into something that is even more difficult to defend. That's not a bad thing.

We just had first 3,000+ passer in a long time, and also set the school record for # of receptions in a season by a receiver, and 9th 1000 yard rusher in a row! “Yeah, change the offense “! Should have an even better passing game in 2018 too. I think CGM has evolved his offense and CCL is going to evolve it even more.imho

Auburn Offense Needs to Change?

Of course.

One (and, hopefully, every) player, one (ditto) practice, one(...) play, one game, one season at a time.

If you're standing still...

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

In football, the phrase evolve or die is just as applicable as in other areas.  I don't think we need to scrap the O, but there are certainly some aspects that need to evolve and others that need to be tweaked. 

Our runnings game has become stagnant.  We used to use misdirection as well as equally run inside and outside.  However, Last year, we rarely ran outside and never used misdirection. We were very predictable.  Our passing routes need to evolve to exploit the MoF and underneath the safeties. We also desperately need to utilize our backs in the passing game more than swing passed to Barrett. These types of things would evolve the offense into something that is even more difficult to defend. That's not a bad thing.

I don’t understand why we haven’t always stayed with the misdirection. When it works we are exciting. It might be personnel or lack of a particular spot on the line. I agree with all your points on areas that could improve. But we were still pretty damn good on offense compared to the best teams in our league. We were more balanced than ever. 

Building more depth and avoiding let down games are more desirable improvements on my list. The running game worries me this year as it has the last two. We just don’t have that sure fire go to rb waiting to chew up a 1200+yard season. And please don’t start the rb utilization gripes now

1 hour ago, toddc said:

We just had first 3,000+ passer in a long time, and also set the school record for # of receptions in a season by a receiver, and 9th 1000 yard rusher in a row! “Yeah, change the offense “! Should have an even better passing game in 2018 too. I think CGM has evolved his offense and CCL is going to evolve it even more.imho

LOL  CGM has never evolved his offense, besides whirlybird cox cat, or any other gimmick play.  CCL was responsible for the limited evolution of the offense last season and I as well have high hopes that Gus will let him do it even more and that the new contract doesn't go to his gigantic ego.

There is nothing terribly unique about the offenses ran by this years playoff teams, or Ohio State. Great players, be strong in the trenches, and execute and almost any scheme will work. We need to tweak some tendencies, but everyone does from time to time. 

So last seasons offense looked like the 2013/14 seasons offense?  I don’t get the offense not evolving.  

Do we put out some crappy games sometimes? Yes but not because our offense hasn’t evolved.  

We tried the slant route last year.  NCM show zero effort on one of those and the DB picked it.  Another was against UCF another of the picks on a bad read by Stidham.

Maybe the slant isn’t a good route for Stidham.  He had 6 INTs last year and I know at least 2 of those was off the slant route.  He’s seems much better on the shallow crossing and the short stop routes to R. Davis and Hastings.

Maybe its a Chip thing, Malzahn’s offense has always thrown the slant and the skinny post. 

Also what are we looking for?  We praised the defense.  Finished #25 in total D.  Then bash the offense and finished #15 in total offense.  

Maybe we will be top 10 in both in 2018 but this idea that our offense is bad or hampered by Gus or whoever the blame is today is foolish and not supported by facts.

24 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Also what are we looking for?  We praised the defense.  Finished #25 in total D.  Then bash the offense and finished #15 in total offense.  

Maybe we will be top 10 in both in 2018 but this idea that our offense is bad or hampered by Gus or whoever the blame is today is foolish and not supported by facts.

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't think it's bad, but I do think it could be much more dynamic and much more difficult to defend.  

I guess the OP didn't think there were enough threads about this topic yet.

Archived