Offense Needs to Change

Zeek

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

You know me. I'd be all for Gus just taking back over and running the 2010 & 2013 version and making Malik Willis the QB. 

I won't. 2010 requires Cam (remember how close some of those games were even with him), which Malik is not. 2013 requires defensive coordinators to forget what they've  learned about the read-opton since then. I think improving on what we started last year, and adding back some misdirection, are the ingrediants to the next great Auburn offense, and one that is actually sustainable without lightning in a bottle players.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

1) I don't feel Martin will ever be that guy. In all honesty it's like he peaked in his 10th grade year. Add in the fact he just doesn't have SEC speed. I have always thought this about him since he signed, and has done nothing in his time here to show otherwise, even just by playing in mop up duty.

For the record, Martin isn't in my 4.  It's Barrett, Asa, Whitlow and Miller.

4 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

We need more first down running plays that gain one yard.

The problem with that is then you are faced with a 2nd and 9.

42 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

For the record, Martin isn't in my 4.  It's Barrett, Asa, Whitlow and Miller.

LoL, for the record, I got Miller and Martin mixed up. Miller is the one who doesn't have the speed to contend in the SEC.  

Miller definitely has the speed, but I dunno about his body style. He is so small.

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The problem with that is then you are faced with a 2nd and 9.

But that's when Gus has'em right where he wants'em.

52 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I won't. 2010 requires Cam (remember how close some of those games were even with him), which Malik is not. 2013 requires defensive coordinators to forget what they've  learned about the read-opton since then. I think improving on what we started last year, and adding back some misdirection, are the ingrediants to the next great Auburn offense, and one that is actually sustainable without lightning in a bottle players.

Maybe.

Wishbones didn't die after one year.

FTR, I agree with @Auburn2Eugenethat 2010 & 2013 were very different so I shouldn't have lumped them together.

5 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Wow!

Half of our schedule was against the top 12 D's in the country!

Sometimes you have to look at the offenses that the defenses played against, for example Georgia at number 6.  Remember every time a Big 10 school is ranked in the top ten in Defense 90% of the board says it is because of the weak offenses in the conference.   SEC offenses were down for most schools this last season for multiples of reasons.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

LoL, for the record, I got Miller and Martin mixed up. Miller is the one who doesn't have the speed to contend in the SEC.  

Miller definitely has the speed, but I dunno about his body style. He is so small.

From what I've heard, Miller seemed to really have the stuff before he got hurt. Of course, that's all talk without seeing it on the field.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Sometimes you have to look at the offenses that the defenses played against, for example Georgia at number 6.  Remember every time a Big 10 school is ranked in the top ten in Defense 90% of the board says it is because of the weak offenses in the conference.   SEC offenses were down for most schools this last season for multiples of reasons.

Thank you for perspective .

5 hours ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

Remove the Play Sheet from Gus during the game. 

You serious Clark?  

Gus is the head coach.  He is the face of the program.  It’s his team and he can do what he wants as it should be.  

If he shouldn’t be running the show then we should let him go.  

13 hours ago, Glen from West Glenn Ave said:

Utilize plays where there are two running backs in the game at the same time.

This should be a no-brainer with the rb depth we have but ya know...

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

From what I've heard, Miller seemed to really have the stuff before he got hurt. Of course, that's all talk without seeing it on the field.

Yep talk is on the 99 cent menu...Tired of it with no results.

11 hours ago, TigerFanAU said:

Possibly. I think if we simply added a few simple 7 yard curl routes, that would loosen up the linebackers a bit and open the run up. 

That curl route to Chandler in the SEC CG....Need more of it.

I was wondering when someone would create another thread just for the sake of arguing for another month.  It was only a matter of time after the Carlton Davis thread died.  Anyone want to take an over/under on how many repetitive posts this thread gets (since this subject has been already talked about hundreds of times)?

10 hours ago, corchjay said:

You serious Clark?  

Gus is the head coach.  He is the face of the program.  It’s his team and he can do what he wants as it should be.  

If he shouldn’t be running the show then we should let him go.  

Didn't realize every head coach calls the plays. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Quite a few of them do...mostly offensive guys. It is not that unusual.  Would we hire Petrino or Briles and tell them that he could not call plays ?

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Add Spurrier to the list of head coaches that call/called plays. Adding to what @corchjay noted above, if we don't want the head coach controlling the offense, then fire him and hire a defensive head coach. Then the bashers can and will bash the defense.

37 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Quite a few of them do...mostly offensive guys. It is not that unusual.  Would we hire Petrino or Briles and tell them that he could not call plays ?

If they managed to go a whole season without laying multiple eggs, much less doing it in consecutive seasons, then no.

And I know that some coaches do it. Some have even been highly successful. Doesn't dispute what I said in the least.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Add Spurrier to the list of head coaches that call/called plays. Adding to what @corchjay noted above, if we don't want the head coach controlling the offense, then fire him and hire a defensive head coach. Then the bashers can and will bash the defense.

I didn't suggest that none do it.

We don't have to have another conversation about what a healthy level of control would be for Gus. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I didn't suggest that none do it.

We don't have to have another conversation about what a healthy level of control would be for Gus.

I agree we don't HAVE to have another such discussion, but that's what the usual suspects are trying to turn this into.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If they managed to go a whole season without laying multiple eggs, much less doing it in consecutive seasons, then no.

And I know that some coaches do it. Some have even been highly successful. Doesn't dispute what I said in the least.

Look deeper....Of the top total offense teams in the NCAA stats, about all are coached by offensive coaches and most of those coaches call their own plays....and tell me that Kingsbury or Petrino or the "pirate" don't lay some eggs. too.  The list of HCs calling plays for top offenses is too long to list here. 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

As Mikey noted, the real purpose of this thread is pretty clear because the arguments being made hold no water whatsoever. 

Archived