women at Miss State

AU64

Well, this looks like it will be really ugly. MSU is undefeated and up there with UCONN among the national elite and AU is visiting there tonight. 

Game is on ESPN stream so thought I would check it out.

Auburn totally outclassed but playing hard....down 22-7 halfway through the first quarter.....gonna be a high scoring game at this point.  

AU rallied a bit...closed the score to 28-15 at the end of the first quarter.  

Auburn's swarming defense giving MSU some trouble but no way for us to handle their center who looks like 6-7 or so....ladies keeping the score in the 15 point range...up a down a basket of so from that margin...  36-19 with 3 minutes to go in the half..

Nice play in the latter half of quarter #2 and cut the deficit to  13 at 42-29.....some nice shooting from the key for AU ladies and swarming defense....played MSU even the last 12 minutes...

Just now, augolf1716 said:

thanks 64 but its a losing effort gotta give them credit for trying

I expected a 40 point loss....so IMO at least, they are hanging tough and working hard.....gotta reward effort in an obvious talent mismatch. 

AU comes out firing and cuts the lead to 9 in less than a minute..

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I expected a 40 point loss....so IMO at least, they are hanging tough and working hard.....gotta reward effort in an obvious talent mismatch. 

Hard to believe how Ms. St got such a good coach

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Hard to believe how Ms. St got such a good coach

Took a look...came from Sam Houston State with a losing record....who would hire a guy like that?  

Started slow but has built them into a power and I read somewhere that he just did it with ordinary players...and his daughter 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Took a look...came from Sam Houston State with a losing record....who would hire a guy like that?  

Started slow but has built them into a power and I read somewhere that he just did it with ordinary players...and his daughter 

wow had no idea

Meanwhile 50-38 with 3 minutes in the quarter....holding tight and matching MSU pretty well.  Fourth quarter has been out downfall most of the year so will be interesting to see how things shake out in a few minutes... 

Things getting out of hand in the 4th quarter...MSU has run the lead up to 24 points...68-44.      Wondering if it's conditioning or what but the last quarter has done this team in several times including the bama game recently. 

Well that's it....82-61 against the #2 team in the nation.   SEC is plenty tough and we are about in the middle I guess....but still quite a bit of distance between the top 2 or 3 and the rest of the schools. 

• WarTiger changed the title to women at Miss State
15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Well that's it....82-61 against the #2 team in the nation.   SEC is plenty tough and we are about in the middle I guess....but still quite a bit of distance between the top 2 or 3 and the rest of the schools. 

In the middle? No, this team under her is more towards the bottom third. Winning only 4 SEC games is not middle of the league. they are last in points scored, and other than LSU, they are 200 points behind the next team. 

It is just hard to imagine keeping this coach after 6 years with no better record in the sec than .500 one year.

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

In the middle? No, this team under her is more towards the bottom third. Winning only 4 SEC games is not middle of the league. they are last in points scored, and other than LSU, they are 200 points behind the next team. 

It is just hard to imagine keeping this coach after 6 years with no better record in the sec than .500 one year.

That's true...I was just trying to go easy on her and the team 'cause I think the decision probably has already been made. 

No reason for my opinion other than the new AD needs to show he is in charge and has high expectations for the programs....and women's basketball is about the best place to demonstrate that.  .

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

That's true...I was just trying to go easy on her and the team 'cause I think the decision probably has already been made. 

No reason for my opinion other than the new AD needs to show he is in charge and has high expectations for the programs....and women's basketball is about the best place to demonstrate that.  .

its ok. :). You always have good insight and I enjoy reading your posts, and those of others who just don't make comments because they dont like a coach, or expect instant success.

Just for curiosity. What coach is second to her that could be considered under performing based on their time in the program?

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

its ok. :). You always have good insight and I enjoy reading your posts, and those of others who just don't make comments because they dont like a coach, or expect instant success.

Just for curiosity. What coach is second to her that could be considered under performing based on their time in the program?

Good question ....we seem to be in the middle of the pack in many minor sports yet I don't see upsetting the apple cart all over the athletic department because of that.  Most of those sports seem to perform about in accordance with their budgets and probably within expectations of the bosses.....if the "squeaky wheel" theory applies.   

From the amount of emotion I hear and read (and based on past success) I'm thinking that Swimming will be near the top of the list.  However....I see that we are 14th nationally but unfortunately 5 of the ones above us are SEC school so our "problems" might look worse than they are?   

But...we have a pretty fair investment in that program and have been very successful in the past so there is reasonable expectation that we could be better....but I'm not believing that Marsh will be coming back.  And looking at the top swimming schools.....all of them are major state universities...so I'm not sure where we could poach a good coach to move us up the rankings.    It would be foolish to dump our coach without a pretty solid idea about who we could bring who would do better and also be ready to spend some money on facilities to woo a big time coach.  

We field something like 20-22 teams and all but 5 or 6 are pretty much invisible in the sports pages and in this forum.   So....what do you think :-\

I thought Swimming too. I researched a little and we havent won an SEC champ in mens since 2012, and womens since 2007. Hawke has not coached a womens champ, and many say his 3 mens champion (2010-11-12) were done with Marsh and Quick recruits). Someone knowing swimming noted that once we could not recruit the foreign swimmers that hurt Hawke. But we seem to not even be in the top 3 in the SEC. 

I think our successful history in swimming is what's driving fans to want a change, as we are not competing any more.

At one time no cared about softball, but look what happened in this sport once we got a big time coach? It has created a lot of fan interest now, and AU fans really enjoy it. 

Same goes with WBB. Everyone remembers Ciampi's teams, and our success, so they want to get back to it. 

Right now our best sport is equestrian, and our last national champ. So who would have thunk it. lol.

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Same goes with WBB. Everyone remembers Ciampi's teams, and our success, so they want to get back to it. 

I scanned a few minutes of the USCe game and the Auburn (Miss State) game last night....both places were packed....probably 15,000 in Columbia for that game and maybe 10,000 or more in Starkvegas.    I remember when we had some crowds like that.....and I guess it could be the same if the coach and team were able to stir people. 

Archived