College basketball's FBI probe gets specific

PigskinPat

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

My stepdaughter played softball for an ACC school and Nike does supply them with a lot of shoes. Just saying it's a possibility. 

New shoes for every game is not uncommon when you are at a major school. Of all the dirtiness of college basketball the shoe companies supplying the schools with countless gear is not one of them. That is legal. I notice a lot of our guys wearing different shoes most games. It is quite common. BTW I am more or less responding to who you are responding to! haha.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ucla won all those titles because sam gilbert bought and paid for all of those stud players under "saint" John Wooden. You are so right it goes back decades. It goes back even further than UCLA I am sure. It is all about not getting caught. This is bs. The FBI should not be using so much resources on this. Why the heck do they all of sudden care about college basketball? ridiculous.

The only thing that's ridiculous here is that they let it get this bad before doing anything.  This kind of thing should have been done a long time ago.  There's a lot of culpability here that isn't limited to one aspect of this.   It's a culture that has been allowed to continue and grow for far too long.  Hope all those big time programs like duke, north carolina,  Arizona, Kansas, etc are taken down and taken down HARD whether its by the FBI through arrests or the NCAA (when that starts).  Cripple those programs for years for this crap.

6 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

The only thing that's ridiculous here is that they let it get this bad before doing anything.  This kind of thing should have been done a long time ago.  There's a lot of culpability here that isn't limited to one aspect of this.   It's a culture that has been allowed to continue and grow for far too long.  Hope all those big time programs like duke, north carolina,  Arizona, Kansas, etc are taken down and taken down HARD whether its by the FBI through arrests or the NCAA (when that starts).  Cripple those programs for years for this crap.

NCAA showed it had no teeth when it comes to major programs with giving UNC a slap on the wrist for basically committing academic fraud. Now if there was a school like ole miss caught up in all of this you better believe they would lower the boom on them.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

NCAA showed it had no teeth when it comes to major programs with giving UNC a slap on the wrist for basically committing academic fraud. Now if there was a school like ole miss caught up in all of this you better believe they would lover the boom on them.

The NCAA's ruling on north carolina was very odd to say the least.  They were widely thought to be caught with no way out, yet somehow managed to escape with basically  nothing.   Quite amazing frankly and without NCAA explanation.    

If the NCAA came out with a press conference to announce they found NOTHING at Auburn in the Cam Newton investigation, they should have come out with a press conference to explain their lack of action at North Carolina when the evidence piled up against them was overwhelming. 

lol WOW! they are going to let ayton play. Very suprised by this.

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

Mikey...you can focus on the source if you wish.....but better forget that and look at what's being disclosed.  No way all of that is "hearsay" or rumor.  Don't get into the mode that if you don't like the messenger, you discount the message.  And this isn't about AU anyway.....AU's problem is Chuck P and the FBI and the muckrakers had nothing to do with that. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/black-market-diaries-emails-hoops-corruption-case-detail-inner-workings-sports-underbelly-030605930.html

My experience with this "source" is that on two previous occasions, he facilitated rumors of an alleged scandal at Auburn and when all was said and done and the truth came out, Auburn was clean as a whistle and Thamel was revealed as a bald-faced liar. I'll go by his track record in this case. It would shock me not at all to learn that he has no source inside the FBI and these names and schools are nothing but supposition on his part. He would not be ashamed if he got caught red-handed in a pack of lies.

The only thing I don't understand about him is how, after getting fired at one place after another, he keeps getting hired somewhere else. He'd be unemployed if integrity mattered one bit in the world of journalism.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My experience with this "source" is that on two previous occasions, he facilitated rumors of an alleged scandal at Auburn and when all was said and done and the truth came out, Auburn was clean as a whistle and Thamel was revealed as a bald-faced liar. I'll go by his track record in this case. It would shock me not at all to learn that he has no source inside the FBI and these names and schools are nothing but supposition on his part. He would not be ashamed if he got caught red-handed in a pack of lies.

The only thing I don't understand about him is how, after getting fired at one place after another, he keeps getting hired somewhere else. He'd be unemployed if integrity mattered one bit in the world of journalism.

The FBI is investigating and Person was indicted. Blame the reporter if you want.

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

The FBI is investigating and Person was indicted. Blame the reporter if you want.

I blame the reporter for having a reputation of spreading false information to make it look like he has a scoop. There is no doubt the FBI is investigating and Person was indicted. DUH! Those are publicly known facts and have been known for some time.

What he's been putting out since then goes far, far beyond any known facts. He'd have to have an FBI agent that's willing to get fired in order to pass out information to him. I don't think he does have any such source.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The FBI is investigating

the FIBs need investigating themselves.....Person is gone due to wiretaps,along with the others but anything outside of obvious audio and/or video, is not to trusted when dealing with corrupt federal agencies,especially the FIB's

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I blame the reporter for having a reputation of spreading false information to make it look like he has a scoop. There is no doubt the FBI is investigating and Person was indicted. DUH! Those are publicly known facts and have been known for some time.

What he's been putting out since then goes far, far beyond any known facts. He'd have to have an FBI agent that's willing to get fired in order to pass out information to him. I don't think he does have any such source.

Think you are wrong about this.....and could be that some folks in the FBI don't want these players and coaches to get away with what they have been doing just because the NCAA has not ben able to conduct these type investigations.     And I'm betting that this case is like the ones in DC...someone in the FBI has authorized the release of this information to sources who they know have the ability to spread it around.  And in my view, at this point, it does not matter how or who let the information out,...time for some clean up in the sport.  

Meanwhile...I notice that Arizona is sitting their coach today. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol WOW! they are going to let ayton play. Very suprised by this.

They've come this far what's another game they'll have to forfeit? Lol

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

They've come this far what's another game they'll have to forfeit? Lol

It is just something teams do!!! I appreciate the bravado! JUST GO FOR IT! the kid only has a few games left in a arizona uniform anyways! lol

Is the FBI only trying to do this because of all the tax implications? Seems like it should be low priority to clean up college hoops

MSU, UK, AZ, USC & turds all said the players mentioned in the FBI probe have been deemed eligible by the “Schools”. 

That was fast? 

MSU is in first place in the B10

AZ is in 1st, with USC in 2nd in P12

Seems like the schools want the conference title and are willing to take their chances with NCAA. 

37 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Is the FBI only trying to do this because of all the tax implications? Seems like it should be low priority to clean up college hoops

The FBI doesn't care about cleaning up college hoops. They are on this case because of racketeering, bribery and so forth. The NCAA, if the FBI makes public enough information for them to move on it, will be the entity responsible for any cleanup. In the end, the NCAA won't get any more info than the press gets. That's how the FBI works.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

He wouldn't care one bit if he got caught in a pack of lies.  MANY reporters were caught in a pack of lies in the Cam Newton saga, and all they did was convenient quit mentioning it without any repercussions from anybody and no retraction.   These idiots aren't held accountable when they spread made up stories, so there's nothing to stop them from doing so.

He doesn't have any sources for anything.  There's absolutely NO way anybody in the FBI would even remotely talk about this case, much less share this many details.  They would be risking everything to do this.  I just don't buy it.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What he's been putting out since then goes far, far beyond any known facts. He'd have to have an FBI agent that's willing to get fired in order to pass out information to him. I don't think he does have any such source.  He certainly wouldn't have anybody that could even remotely validate anything.  Of course given his track record of reporting, he probably considers a 3rd grader at a local elementary school as a source.  That's about as close as he would get to anything of this magnitude.  The FBI doesn't share this info and certainly wouldn't in a current investigation.  

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The FBI doesn't care about cleaning up college hoops. They are on this case because of racketeering, bribery and so forth. The NCAA, if the FBI makes public enough information for them to move on it, will be the entity responsible for any cleanup. In the end, the NCAA won't get any more info than the press gets. That's how the FBI works.

Generally that's true if you look at the FBI as an institution...but the FBI is thousands of people and it's not beyond my belief that someone(s),  somewhere in that organization realized that during their investigation they had uncovered some really, really shady  (if not exactly illegal) activities and decided that it would be a good idea for some of that information to come to the public's attention.  

Maybe the FBI did not see itself as having responsibility to clean up college basketball....but at the same time, why should the agency conceal information that has such a impact our the American public's view of the sport?  and why should it protect sleaze balls from getting what they deserve?  why should the FBI let coaches and "agents" grossly violate the rules of the game just because they know the NCAA can't conduct a real investigation of suspected (or unsuspected) blatant violations of NCAA rules.    

We know from experience, you really have to be dumb or careless to get caught by the NCAA considering that it can't compel anyone to testify about such matters. . 

Note to War Tiger.....if you read the paper you certainly know that the FBI share information about current investigation every day.  So why not something like this that is not actually part of it's investigation. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

He’ll be set but I have to doubt he’ll ever be head coach at a D1 school again. I guess stranger things have happened....

2 hours ago, fredst said:

He’ll be set but I have to doubt he’ll ever be head coach at a D1 school again. I guess stranger things have happened....

He will go the kelvin sampson route and be a nba assistant coach for awhile.

16 hours ago, fredst said:

Wonder if Jimmy Sexton is his agent.....that's quite a contract he was able to sign. 

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

Generally that's true if you look at the FBI as an institution...but the FBI is thousands of people and it's not beyond my belief that someone(s),  somewhere in that organization realized that during their investigation they had uncovered some really, really shady  (if not exactly illegal) activities and decided that it would be a good idea for some of that information to come to the public's attention.  

Maybe the FBI did not see itself as having responsibility to clean up college basketball....but at the same time, why should the agency conceal information that has such a impact our the American public's view of the sport?  and why should it protect sleaze balls from getting what they deserve?  why should the FBI let coaches and "agents" grossly violate the rules of the game just because they know the NCAA can't conduct a real investigation of suspected (or unsuspected) blatant violations of NCAA rules.    

We know from experience, you really have to be dumb or careless to get caught by the NCAA considering that it can't compel anyone to testify about such matters. . 

Note to War Tiger.....if you read the paper you certainly know that the FBI share information about current investigation every day.  So why not something like this that is not actually part of it's investigation. 

Just because its in the paper doesn't make it any more true than anything posted online.  In fact,  most of what's in the paper was online 3 days before and still isn't credible. Putting it in the paper doesn't make it true or more valid.  They all have the same (often made up) sources or more often than not, NO SOURCE at all.     Note:  Why would anybody bother to read a paper today anyway? 

27 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Just because its in the paper doesn't make it any more true than anything posted online.  In fact,  most of what's in the paper was online 3 days before and still isn't credible. Putting it in the paper doesn't make it true or more valid.  They all have the same (often made up) sources or more often than not, NO SOURCE at all.     Note:  Why would anybody bother to read a paper today anyway? 

What’s a paper?

Archived