Why did Holland leave early?

GwillMac6

23 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Found the question intriguing. Only a cursory search, but

5-yr old HS (though notably large) study shows:

"...A new article published in the Journal of Physical Activity and Health examines the epidemiology of 10,000 high school football injuries to determine if there were patterns of injury by position played. Participating athletic therapists reported the injury rate was 4.08 per 1,000 athlete-exposures overall, with injuries more commonly occurring in competition. Offensive lineman (center, offensive guard, and offensive tackle) sustained the most injuries (18.3%) of all positions, however running back had the highest percentage of injury for any one position (16.3%)...."

Also shows injuries from player-player contact far outnumber contact with the field ("...being tackled (24.4%) and tackling (21.8%) accounted for a majority of the injuries..."

http://www.humankinetics.com/news-and-excerpts/news-and-excerpts/why-offensive-line-is-footballs-most-dangerous-position

Dang @McLoofus, looks like the Journal of Physical Activity could have saved themselves the trouble and just asked us what our barely educated guess was...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Dang @McLoofus, looks like the Journal of Physical Activity could have saved themselves the trouble and just asked us what our barely educated guess was...

Serious -

Hang out a shingle.

35 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Found the question intriguing. Only a cursory search, but

5-yr old HS (though notably large) study shows:

"...A new article published in the Journal of Physical Activity and Health examines the epidemiology of 10,000 high school football injuries to determine if there were patterns of injury by position played. Participating athletic therapists reported the injury rate was 4.08 per 1,000 athlete-exposures overall, with injuries more commonly occurring in competition. Offensive lineman (center, offensive guard, and offensive tackle) sustained the most injuries (18.3%) of all positions, however running back had the highest percentage of injury for any one position (16.3%)...."

Also shows injuries from player-player contact far outnumber contact with the field ("...being tackled (24.4%) and tackling (21.8%) accounted for a majority of the injuries..."

http://www.humankinetics.com/news-and-excerpts/news-and-excerpts/why-offensive-line-is-footballs-most-dangerous-position

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Further to both:

The authors of the study found no clear patterns in players' positions — offensive and defensive linemen and running backs were most prominently represented in the sample and among those diagnosed with CTE.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-football-cte-brain-20170725-story.html

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Further to both:

Very informative, and seriously unlikable.

Many Thanks.

ETFurtherA - and that one's an recent (and mostly) NFL study. Though of narrower sample, without control, shows vividly that if stuff don't look right, it's probably not!

11 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Many Thanks.

ETA - and that one's an NFL study.

And that is why I think they need to stop "improving" the existing uniforms, take a step back, and see if they can't find a new direction entirely that would provide better overall protection. I enjoy watching football, and I know the players enjoy playing it, so I'd hate to see it go away entirely, but science and design need to be applied to the problem or that may be the only viable endgame. 

25 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Many Thanks.

ETFurtherA - and that one's an recent (and mostly) NFL study. Though of narrower sample, without control, shows vividly that if stuff don't look right, it's probably not!

Indeed. 

We (or the next people) with look back on this era with the same morbid amusement with which we look back on leather helmets sans facemasks.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. I'd be curious to see the comparison across all positions, if such exists. Guessing not.

They say that guys along the lines are experiencing the violence of small head-on car collision on every snap. Force = mass x acceleration, and there is a lot of mass in the game now, and guys these days have enough explosiveness in their legs to run 5-5.5 second 40s at 300+ lbs. And they experience more contact than anyone else on the field, even if some of the other guys are involved in more high speed collisions. 

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

And that is why I think they need to stop "improving" the existing uniforms, take a step back, and see if they can't find a new direction entirely that would provide better overall protection. I enjoy watching football, and I know the players enjoy playing it, so I'd hate to see it go away entirely, but science and design need to be applied to the problem or that may be the only viable endgame. 

Concur, but

Be willing to bet that we'll never be able to compare whether switch from leather to padded-shell helmets improved collision protection more than encouraged collisions.

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Concur, but

Be willing to bet that we'll never be able to compare whether switch from leather to padded-shell helmets improved collision protection more than encouraged collisions.

I don't think there's any way today's athletes play the way they do in those earliest rigs. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think there's any way today's athletes play the way they do in those earliest rigs. 

Can't disagree.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Great hand fighter. His arc doesn’t have enough bend. Great aggressive attack. Needs better situational awareness.  how did I do @bigbird?

Perfect, especially the point about his bend.

51 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Time for people to hang up the cleats.

Robots are the future of football.

Bama will need to change their recruiting tactics.   ‘Bots go for Tesla’s!

18 hours ago, auburnphan said:

As a 4-3 DE:

Great hand fighter. His arc doesn’t have enough bend. Great aggressive attack. Needs better situational awareness.  how did I do @bigbird?

Sounds a bit like you are describing Ford before his light came on 100% in the NFL.

20 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

You don't get published or a government grant doing it that way.  Even though the conclusions would come out the same: cause we're all that!

"Follow the money"

-Deep Throat

On 2/24/2018 at 10:08 AM, Auburn2Eugene said:

But I think it's ok, I feel Coe will step right in and not miss a beat. But it sure would be been nice to see sensei mud lined up for us next season.

Coe isn't going to be the guy who steps right in.  It'll be TD Moultry.

29 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Coe isn't going to be the guy who steps right in.  It'll be TD Moultry.

It will be interesting to see TD and Big Cat battle this spring

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree.  I'll be surprised if Big Cat jumps past him yet though.  He still needs to put on some weight IMO.

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I agree.  I'll be surprised if Big Cat jumps past him yet though.  He still needs to put on some weight IMO.

I think this is where I'll make my quarterly comment. We're really not making a big enough deal out of the fact that we have a guy whose name as listed on the roster is Big Cat. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I agree, but can see Big Cat coming in on 3rd down as the designated pass rusher.

Just now, bigbird said:

I agree, but can see Big Cat coming in on 3rd down as the designated pass rusher.

Maybe.  But that's assuming he's better at that than Moultry is and will be.  And Moultry is damn good already.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Maybe.  But that's assuming he's better at that than Moultry is and will be.  And Moultry is damn good already.

I agree he is very good. I think TD is like Lawson and Holland, while Big Cat is more like Groves and McClover

I've seen some pre-season roster predictions have Big Cat starting and others that have TD. Seems like everyone is predicting big things from both but there is no consensus on who is going to be the guy. Seems like the best kind of problem to have. Steele probably sleeps well at night.

Archived