spring practice primer: Quarterback

aubiefifty

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

At the time of the Clemson game, Willis wasn't ready to play. His first time out wasn't impressive either. It took a little time for him to develop. Where you got the idea that Gus wanted to redshirt him after White was dismissed, I don't know.

Where did I post that Gus wanted to RS MW after SW was dismissed?  The post you quoted was in reference to the time period between the first week of the season to the Clemson game.  Gus had no choice but to take the RS off of MW after SW was dismissed.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Where did I post that Gus wanted to RS MW after SW was dismissed?  The post you quoted was in reference to the time period between the first week of the season to the Clemson game.  Gus had no choice but to take the RS off of MW after SW was dismissed.

Willis's redshirt was actually pulled before Sean was officially kicked off of the team (though I have no doubt that Gus knew that is was a strong possibility he would have to pull the trigger by then). Against Clemson, Gus was still hoping that Sean would comply with the ultimatums that he was presented with and he would have 2 seasoned QBs to work with last year, which made redshirting Willis a no-brainer.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Willis's redshirt was actually pulled before Sean was officially kicked off of the team (though I have no doubt that Gus knew that is was a strong possibility he would have to pull the trigger by then). Against Clemson, Gus was still hoping that Sean would comply with the ultimatums that he was presented with and he would have 2 seasoned QBs to work with last year, which made redshirting Willis a no-brainer.

I had actually put that out of my mind, but you’re correct.  Why would Gus not play MW in the opener and not have a scholarship back up QB to play against Clemson (if needed) just to turn around and play him vs Mercer?  If he had played MW in the opener, Gus could say it was to get him some experience going into the Clemson game. Playing MW when SW was available, sent a clear and distinct message to SW.  SW didn’t react to that incentive well.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

SW didn’t react to that incentive well.

Sadly, no... he did not. I hope the arrest wasn't a direct result of his response to that happening.

Archived