‘Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying’ in Seattle’s Greenwood area – well, not quite

Auburn85

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/both-have-crosses-so-norwegian-flag-mistaken-for-confederate-flag/

By Eric Lacitis

A story about the times we live in, and assumptions we can make in our current political climate.

The news tip a few days ago said:

“Hi. Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying in front of a house in my Greenwood neighborhood. It is at the north-east corner of 92nd and Palatine, just a block west of 92nd and Greenwood Ave N. I would love to know what this ‘means’ … but of course don’t want to knock on their door. Maybe others in the area are flying the flag? Maybe it’s a story? Thank you.”

It was from Rebecca Morris, who is an author of The New York Times best-seller true-crime books.

So, of course, we drove to that corner.

There was no wind, and on a flagpole there was what obviously was the U.S. flag at the top, and below, a red flag with blue stripes.

Simply hanging down, not spread out, you could make some assumptions that it was the star-filled “Southern cross” of the Confederacy.

Darold Norman Stangeland lives at the corner house.

“That’s a Norwegian flag,” he says. “It’s been up there since the start of the Olympics.”

The Norwegian flag has a red background, with an off-center white-and-blue cross.

Norway, so far, has won 13 gold, 11 silver and nine bronze medals at the Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic Winter Games, totally dominating the event.

“I’m a proud Norwegian-American. My parents emigrated here in the mid-1950s. He skippered tugboats,” Stangeland says.

If you do some Googling, you find other incidents in which the same mistake happened.

From The Lewisboro Ledger in New York, Oct. 18, 2012: “Confederate or Norwegian? Flag misunderstood in reservation.”

The woman who had the small Norwegian flag on her property on Ward Pound Ridge Reservation was reported to the reservation’s office and was quoted, “It was embarrassing. Everyone in the county was asking me if I’m flying a rebel flag.”

When told she had mistaken the flag, Morris says, “Are you kidding me?”

She says she had even looked up the Confederate flag online and it sure looked to her like the flag on that corner.

But on a second look, “Well, it does look like the Norwegian flag!”

She says, “Maybe that’s the story … we’re so stressed by all things political that we see things that aren’t there.”

Better hope the Russian bots don’t decide to repost their slightly altered version.

How embarrassing(!)  This woman is obviously a newcomer to the area.  Greenwood is just a short distance from Ballard, another old-time neighborhood where many Scandinavian immigrants ended up settling.  Although the population today is much more diverse, Ballard's Nordic Heritage is hard to miss -- especially since the Nordic Heritage Museum is located there(!)   

When I see things like this it makes me question the entire premise behind genetics, heredity and selection....how can this be survival of the fittest and the the best that the gene pool has to offer?

On 2/25/2018 at 4:40 PM, japantiger said:

When I see things like this it makes me question the entire premise behind genetics, heredity and selection....how can this be survival of the fittest and the the best that the gene pool has to offer?

"Survival of the fittest" is a theory that applies more accurately to populations (in a macro sense). 

A given individual doesn't by itself determine a competitive advantage - or lack thereof - of a given population.   If the behavior is positive, it has a likely hood of spreading via reproducing.  If it's a disadvantage, just the opposite.

45 minutes ago, homersapien said:

"Survival of the fittest" is a theory that applies more accurately to populations (in a macro sense). 

A given individual doesn't by itself determine a competitive advantage - or lack thereof - of a given population.   If the behavior is positive, it has a likelyhood of spreading via reproducting.  If it's a disadvantage, just the opposite.

As usual, you missed the point.

The larger question, which remains unanswered, is did her mistakenly thinking she saw a Confederate battle flag "trigger" her and cause her to scurry to a safe place where she could curl up in a fetal ball and whisper details of her horrifying experience to other tremulous souls?

• 2 years later...

https://www.mediaite.com/weird/michigan-bb-removes-norwegian-flag-after-receiving-abuse-mistaking-it-for-confederate-flag/

•  

Michigan B&B Removes Norwegian Flag After Receiving Abuse Mistaking It For Confederate Flag

By Charlie NashJul 29th, 2020, 12:13 
submit to reddit
GettyImages-1169368737-scaled.jpg

Stuart Franklin/Getty Images

A bed and breakfast in Saint Johns, Michigan has removed a Norwegian flag from the building after dozens of people allegedly confused it for the Confederate flag and complained.

According to WILX-10, “dozens of guests and people driving by have accused the couple” behind the Nordic Pineapple Bed and Breakfast “of flying a Confederate flag.”

Kjersten Offbecker, one of the owners, said, “They are the same color, but there are no stars on the Norwegian flag, and the Confederate flag is a big ‘x’ and the Norwegian flag is part of the Nordic countries, they’re all crosses.”

Offbecker claimed angry passersby have told them, “You should be ashamed to fly the Confederate flag. You’re a bigot because you fly the Confederate flag,” and that the abuse became so “negative” they decided to remove the flag altogether over fears “it was deterring people” from visiting.

In a Facebook post last week, the Nordic Pineapple announced the removal of the flag, proclaiming, “It is a sad day at The Nordic Pineapple. We have decided to no longer fly The Norwegian flag on the front of the inn. This flag is so often mistaken for the Confederate flag and people are often offended by it before they realize that they are mistaken.”

“I am very proud of my Norwegian heritage and will fly it on special occasions like Norwegian Independence Day and maybe I will find a less conspicuous place to fly it but, for now we feel that it is the best decision to take it down,” Offbecker declared, adding, “If you got to know us you would see that we are very proud Americans and very patriotic.”

“Greg served this country in the Navy during Desert Storm and was a proud employee for the Department of Homeland Security. We have 2 adopted children who are both black and we have tried to teach them not to judge on first glance or outward appearances. We love being members of the St Johns community and are heartbroken to have had to make this decision,” she continued, concluding ,”Given the current cultural climate and the idea that people are judging us based on the misconception of the national Norwegian flag vs. the Confederate flag, this is what is best for our family and our Inn.”

This is easily avoided, dinguses (or dingi...): 

1. Stop

2. Breathe

3. Do a Google image search of the flag in question

4. Go on your merry way.

Gross stupidity...144 times worse than regular stupidity. 

3 hours ago, Auburn85 said:

https://www.mediaite.com/weird/michigan-bb-removes-norwegian-flag-after-receiving-abuse-mistaking-it-for-confederate-flag/

•  

Michigan B&B Removes Norwegian Flag After Receiving Abuse Mistaking It For Confederate Flag

By Charlie NashJul 29th, 2020, 12:13 
submit to reddit
GettyImages-1169368737-scaled.jpg

Stuart Franklin/Getty Images

A bed and breakfast in Saint Johns, Michigan has removed a Norwegian flag from the building after dozens of people allegedly confused it for the Confederate flag and complained.

According to WILX-10, “dozens of guests and people driving by have accused the couple” behind the Nordic Pineapple Bed and Breakfast “of flying a Confederate flag.”

Kjersten Offbecker, one of the owners, said, “They are the same color, but there are no stars on the Norwegian flag, and the Confederate flag is a big ‘x’ and the Norwegian flag is part of the Nordic countries, they’re all crosses.”

Offbecker claimed angry passersby have told them, “You should be ashamed to fly the Confederate flag. You’re a bigot because you fly the Confederate flag,” and that the abuse became so “negative” they decided to remove the flag altogether over fears “it was deterring people” from visiting.

In a Facebook post last week, the Nordic Pineapple announced the removal of the flag, proclaiming, “It is a sad day at The Nordic Pineapple. We have decided to no longer fly The Norwegian flag on the front of the inn. This flag is so often mistaken for the Confederate flag and people are often offended by it before they realize that they are mistaken.”

“I am very proud of my Norwegian heritage and will fly it on special occasions like Norwegian Independence Day and maybe I will find a less conspicuous place to fly it but, for now we feel that it is the best decision to take it down,” Offbecker declared, adding, “If you got to know us you would see that we are very proud Americans and very patriotic.”

“Greg served this country in the Navy during Desert Storm and was a proud employee for the Department of Homeland Security. We have 2 adopted children who are both black and we have tried to teach them not to judge on first glance or outward appearances. We love being members of the St Johns community and are heartbroken to have had to make this decision,” she continued, concluding ,”Given the current cultural climate and the idea that people are judging us based on the misconception of the national Norwegian flag vs. the Confederate flag, this is what is best for our family and our Inn.”

That irritates the fire out of me. We, the nation built beautifully diverse by the blessing of so many hardworking immigrants, so shamefully ignorant about them as to...I can't even.  I might side with removing or renaming Confederate memorials where contextually appropriate, such as the high schools in my nearby Montgomery, as is on the docket as of the last BOE meeting, but I don't tolerate mistaken identity cases such as this. My teacher's mind has a plethora of ways to eradicate that ignorance. Eejits! 🤬Here's some love for all things Norse. This flag wasn't cooperating, but you can find this gem just outside Rapid City, SD. Long may she wave, Norway...which has catapulted to high places on my bucket list. Welcome to "Chapel in the (Black) Hills." 🇳🇴

20200630_124038.jpg

20200630_121641.jpg

20200630_122945.jpg

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

That irritates the fire out of me. We, the nation built beautifully diverse by the blessing of so many hardworking immigrants, so shamefully ignorant about them as to...I can't even.  I might side with removing or renaming Confederate memorials where contextually appropriate, such as the high schools in my nearby Montgomery, as is on the docket as of the last BOE meeting, but I don't tolerate mistaken identity cases such as this. My teacher's mind has a plethora of ways to eradicate that ignorance. Eejits! 🤬Here's some love for all things Norse. This flag wasn't cooperating, but you can find this gem just outside Rapid City, SD. Long may she wave, Norway...which has catapulted to high places on my bucket list. Welcome to "Chapel in the (Black) Hills." 🇳🇴

If it was a "mistaken identity", how do you conclude it was an insult to Norway?

It's a mistake. It doesn't ask for "toleration", it requires polite correction.

And - if one assumes such a mistake was founded in ignorance - you "eradicate" that ignorance (as you say) hopefully in a diplomatic way.  I am sure there are plenty of people in this country who don't know what the Norwegian flag looks like.

Geez.

(Oh, and I like Norway too.  One of my wife's good friends she met in college moved to Norway with her husband and two kids as ex-patriots for a job he was doing.  After a while, he died unexpectedly and she decided for various reasons to stay there and raise her kids.  They now have dual citizenship.  My wife visited her in Oslo to babysit her kids for a month or so while her friend traveled on business. My wife loved it. )

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If it was a "mistaken identity", how do you conclude it was an insult to Norway?

It's a mistake. It doesn't "toleration", it requires polite correction.

And - if one assumes such a mistake was founded in "ignorance" - you "eradicate" that ignorance (as you say) hopefully in a diplomatic way.  

Geez, if this is representative, I'd hate to be one of your students.

You might actually learn something for once instead slinging insults. 

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

20200630_124038.jpg

20200630_121641.jpg

20200630_122945.jpg

Amen

38 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

You might actually learn something for once instead slinging insults. 

Yeah that was stupid. Embarrassing actually. Eejits 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

It's a mistake. It doesn't ask for "toleration", it requires polite correction.

And - if one assumes such a mistake was founded in ignorance - you "eradicate" that ignorance (as you say) hopefully in a diplomatic way.  I am sure there are plenty of people in this country who don't know what the Norwegian flag looks like.

Geez.

(Oh, and I like Norway too.  One of my wife's good friends she met in college moved to Norway with her husband and two kids as ex-patriots for a job he was doing.  After a while, he died unexpectedly and she decided for various reasons to stay there and raise her kids.  They now have dual citizenship.  My wife visited her in Oslo to babysit her kids for a month or so while her friend traveled on business. My wife loved it. )

Homer, why did the BnB pull the flag down? 

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Out of likes, but yeah that was pathetic. Embarrassing actually. 

I guess so embarrassing he had to delete what he originally said. Lmao 

I wouldn’t expect any less though. Must be one of his idiotic “syntax errors.” 

My idea of eradicate ignorance...a little research project or two for a population segment who proves the sad geographical ignorance stats right is what I had in mind. I'm really not okay with people not getting to represent their country because someone else doesn't know what their flag looks like and makes a stink about it. If it's a "just a mistake", how about, "Oh, please put it back up. I was mistaken...I now see it looks nothing like a Confederate flag." 

And further..."I'm so sorry my ignorance caused such a stir. Let me see what I can do to fix it." 

I mistakenly read the article to believe that the Norwegian couple pulled it down because of someone else's perceptive "mistake" ... which as some quote here, lessens the cause of TRUE empathy where it's genuinely needed for overdue change. 

Geez. 🤣

P.S. Good job on the edit button. THAT'S how to handle a mistake. 😊😉

(I wouldn't have withstood the 22 years in if my students felt about me as you first mentioned. Our arguments and points of view will come across better as we're mindful to reconsider how we come across. It's been said amply that we don't HAVE to respond to every post that gets our goats, for whatever reason. Glad your wife got to enjoy Norway.)

35 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I guess so embarrassing he had to delete what he originally said. Lmao 

I wouldn’t expect any less though. Must be one of his idiotic “syntax errors.” 

Literally took down a statement of condemnation towards Tora and replaced it with "I like Norway." Eejit

36 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

My idea of eradicate ignorance...a little research project or two for a population segment who proves the sad geographical ignorance stats right is what I had in mind. I'm really not okay with people not getting to represent their country because someone else doesn't know what their flag looks like and makes a stink about it. If it's a "just a mistake", how about, "Oh, please put it back up. I was mistaken...I now see it looks nothing like a Confederate flag." 

And further..."I'm so sorry my ignorance caused such a stir. Let me see what I can do to fix it." 

I mistakenly read the article to believe that the Norwegian couple pulled it down because of someone else's perceptive "mistake" ... which as some quote here, lessens the cause of TRUE empathy where it's genuinely needed for overdue change. 

Geez. 🤣

P.S. Good job on the edit button. THAT'S how to handle a mistake. 😊😉

(I wouldn't have withstood the 22 years in if my students felt about me as you first mentioned. Our arguments and points of view will come across better as we're mindful to reconsider how we come across. It's been said amply that we don't HAVE to respond to every post that gets our goats, for whatever reason. Glad your wife got to enjoy Norway.)

Out of likes girl. Well done!

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Literally took down a statement of condemnation towards Tora and replaced it with "I like Norway." Eejit

What makes it worse is he didn’t take it down until we commented about it. It’s not the first time he’s done this childish crap. I know it won’t be the last either. Eejit is right!! 

Archived