If we share the title

tigerbrotha12

We win it. Kind of a dumb rule that you have to share the title when you played one game against the other team and beat them. I’ll claim an outright title if we win one more or Tennessee loses. I don’t think that’s too bammer of me.... 

• WarTiger changed the title to If we share the title

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

We win it. Kind of a dumb rule that you have to share the title when you played one game against the other team and beat them. I’ll claim an outright title if we win one more or Tennessee loses. I don’t think that’s too bammer of me.... 

I am with you on this.  It would feel more of a consolation to Tennessee than us IMO since we beat them outright. Now we just need that win.  Hopefully we get it Tuesday night instead of waiting for the last game. 

I mistakenly thought that we held a real "tie breaker" over Tennessee, but alas. The only good beating them did us is that should we share the title, Auburn gets the top seed in the SEC tournament. That's not really a big deal. The big deal is the double bye the top four teams get and we've already secured that.

Even if I was a UT fan I'd feel dirty trying to claim a championship in a year where we tie for the record but lose h2h to the team we tied with.

#1 seed in the conference tourney is all you need to know about who the regular season champion would be and I wouldn't be opposed to the banner flatly saying SEC REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONS 2017-2018

*knock on wood*

I loved Tubs but those “shared SEC west titles” in 2001, 2002 and 2005 were cringeworthy.

If I had it my way, for both basketball and baseball, the top two teams would play in the SEC tournament. Simple as that.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd want these players to have the recognition of a shared title. Yeah, UT could say they have the h2h but it's still a tie and would go in the SEC record book as a shared title. Why not recognize it. Now, if AU can go take care of business and make sure that they can in fact have at least a share of the title, that would be great.

8 hours ago, Beaker said:

head to head....pretty simple.  Even I can understand that.

Since SEC schedules are so uneven in terms of who you play and how may times you play each season, the share is about the only option available. 

3 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Since SEC schedules are so uneven in terms of who you play and how may times you play each season, the share is about the only option available. 

It just is apparent to me that there should be stipulations. Like if you play each other head to head once, the winner is the champion. Or if you play twice, it’s total points in each game or something. 

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

It just is apparent to me that there should be stipulations. Like if you play each other head to head once, the winner is the champion. Or if you play twice, it’s total points in each game or something. 

I get what you're saying. But if we had played UK, Florida, Miss St (this year when they're good), Bama, and aTm twice (which would be a really tough schedule this season), and UT only had to play one or two of those teams twice while getting easier double headers and UT beat us in the H2H, we'd be raising hell about wanting a shared championship because of the same record and having played a much tougher schedule to get that shared record. I just don't think there's an easy way to declare an outright winner in the event of a tie, even if H2H seems like a simple solution when applicable. 

On 2/25/2018 at 4:41 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

it doesn't matter to me if we share it or not, or even if we win a tourney game or not, i just want to hang a banner to recognize what this team and these coaches have done this year....i predicted a 20-11 season and nit bid, but that was with the full roster....this team has been incredible and they need a banner

After last night, and watching this team lead the conference all year until the last week, I was pretty bummed for what I see is a best-case title share after Saturday (I have no faith in UGA in Knoxville).  After a day to reflect, if someone offered me a chance to watch Auburn basketball share a conference championship in October, I'd say where do I sign?  Enough moping, officially pumped for this Saturday.  Let's finish this, Tigers!

we still have to win sat and we have not been the same since mclemore got hurt. we better get hot shooting the ball and clean up are sloppy plays or we wont go far in tournament

17 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

we still have to win sat and we have not been the same since mclemore got hurt. we better get hot shooting the ball and clean up are sloppy plays or we wont go far in tournament

AU blew uat’s doors off without Mac. They will be better Saturday. Yes it will be hard, but I can’t imagine they would do anything but scrap for that win. Just have to hope the bigs can stay out of foul trouble. 

On 2/27/2018 at 8:29 AM, auburnphan said:

The fact that we have an opportunity to win one, that we are talking basketball going into March is just a wonderful thing.  #TEAMBRUCE

It will hurt if we lose to South Carolina, 1st game of SEC tourney, and 1st game of NCAA tourney. The season isn't so magical if that happens.

I’m very anxious about Saturday. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’m really ok claiming a title if we share it. I just know that we probably need to beat SCAR to accomplish that. While SCar isn’t the same on the road as they are at home, and while we are completely different at home, I just hope these guys don’t let such a wide open opportunity with three games left pass them by. I also, however, hope that this is not their mentality. Our thinking should be “go get it.”

lets go get it Saturday and get some momentum back. 

7 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

It will hurt if we lose to South Carolina, 1st game of SEC tourney, and 1st game of NCAA tourney. The season isn't so magical if that happens.

Losing AM hurt, but if what you say happens it does not diminish what this team has accomplished and the continued fight they showed.  Losing 3 of your 6 big men is just tough.

I'll give Auburn a pass for losing to uf and to Arkansas, away games against talented teams. But no excuses Saturday, at home against a mediocre South Carolina. Come out, attend to your business and crown yourselves Conference champs.

Being a long time Auburn fan I am sure that win or lose it will be in dramatic fashion late  in the game!! I will be there to cheer them on- first game of the season for me!

12 minutes ago, wde21 said:

Being a long time Auburn fan I am sure that win or lose it will be in dramatic fashion late  in the game!! I will be there to cheer them on- first game of the season for me!

Good gosh I hope you’re wrong. I hope it’s a 30 point blowout at halftime 

16 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

Yes it will hurt and I will be extremely disappointed FOR the team. I will not be one bit disappointed IN this team. They have already exceeded all expectations for even a full roster. Now without Mclemore and with a less than 100% Bryce Brown, they are still scrapping and showing that they can play with anyone in the country. And there ain’t no shame in that.

If Bruce can pull of 24+ wins with a shorthanded roster just wait until he's got all of the studs he's recruited as his disposal. Bruce isn't a flash in the pan so I'm confident that we are going to be seeing much of what we saw this year moving forward.

What I love the most about Bruce is that regardless of the recruiting rankings if Bruce wants a guy you know he's going to be a stud in our system if he puts in the work. And that is something I'm very much looking forward to!

Archived