Baseball at South Alabama

AU64

57 minutes ago, Mikey said:

First base open, late in a one-run game, opponent's best hitter at the plate, two outs.... I think walking him is an easy call.

Depending, of course, on what your scouting reports say about the next hitter and your confidence that your pitcher is unlikely to get into control trouble.

I know what you’re saying, but I’ll remind you of the bottom of the ninth in the ‘17 Tallahassee regional. In hindsight, Dylan Busby probably shouldn’t have been allowed to swing it against Cole Lipscomb....I’ll agree that last nights’ circumstances were significantly less difficult to put him on. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I know what you’re saying, but I’ll remind you of the bottom of the ninth in the ‘17 Tallahassee regional. In hindsight, Dylan Busby probably shouldn’t have been allowed to swing it against Cole Lipscomb....I’ll agree that last nights’ circumstances were significantly less difficult to put him on. 

I was always taught to never put the winning run on base....but of course managers get paid the big bucks to ignore things like that....and worked out fine for AU.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

First base open, late in a one-run game, opponent's best hitter at the plate, two outs.... I think walking him is an easy call.

Depending, of course, on what your scouting reports say about the next hitter and your confidence that your pitcher is unlikely to get into control trouble.

I would usually agree about not putting the winning run on base, but Swaggerty is an absolute stud. It was a risky but good decision to walk him. He's a first round talent. Already has 3 or 4 homeruns this year (one went 464). And he already had two solid ropes last night against us. He's the one guy you don't let beat you. 

I attended last night's game. The last Auburn pitcher was very impressive. He gave up a ringing two run double on his initial pitch. But was unfazed by it as the Jags did not get any good swings the remainder of their at bats. Throws in the low 90s and his curve is ball is workable.

And man, that homerun was launched. The air was heavy, other well struck balls did not carry like that one did. 

Nice win against a good team at their place.

10 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Oh, and it won’t be long until you start hearing commentary about a Tiger offense that “scores runs in bunches”.  Makes life a little easier when you don’t have to be absolutely flawless on the mound and in the field. 

So are you happy with the initial look of Gross's 2nd stint on the staff?

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball at South Alabama
1 hour ago, SCTiger2011 said:

So are you happy with the initial look of Gross's 2nd stint on the staff?

I haven't done a numbers comparison, but it definitely feels like our offense is more productive.  Much of the increased power numbers are from new guys (Wright, Williams and Venters)...would really like to see Anthony get to where everyone thought he would be with the long ball (but if he can keep a .310 average and .75 RBI per game I certainly won't complain).  What I like about Gabe is simply a personal preference and that is he coaches for big innings...I LOVE crooked numbers on the scoreboard.  We rarely sacrifice any more and haven't needed to stand on our heads to produce runs, which leads to overthinking everything which leads to base running blunders and was a hallmark of the previous regime.  So far I love just about everything about this team, but that's just one guy's opinion.  Do you see it any differently?

13 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

which leads to overthinking everything which leads to base running blunders and was a hallmark of the previous regime. 

Well, if you ignore the comedy routine the other day that ended up with a double play on what could have been an RBI and a FC.   But I have to say that I'm willing to have a few of those if the coaches are more aggressive with having guys try and take an extra base....especially turning singles into doubles right out of the batter's box.    I'm good with the offense being aggressive and putting pressure on the defense to make good plays.   

As for the power, Butch has brought in a few bigger guys (ones you mentioned) who seem to have some power...which I am glad to see.     

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

I haven't done a numbers comparison, but it definitely feels like our offense is more productive.  Much of the increased power numbers are from new guys (Wright, Williams and Venters)...would really like to see Anthony get to where everyone thought he would be with the long ball (but if he can keep a .310 average and .75 RBI per game I certainly won't complain).  What I like about Gabe is simply a personal preference and that is he coaches for big innings...I LOVE crooked numbers on the scoreboard.  We rarely sacrifice any more and haven't needed to stand on our heads to produce runs, which leads to overthinking everything which leads to base running blunders and was a hallmark of the previous regime.  So far I love just about everything about this team, but that's just one guy's opinion.  Do you see it any differently?

I have noticed a more aggressive, opportunistic offense and I like it. It's baseball....so it doesn't always work out but it is a great strategy.  Might as well go for it when a good opportunity arises and become a proactive team instead of the old days of being reactive. That's what I see with Gabe....jump on it when it looks good and see what happens. So far it seems to be working well.

3 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

....jump on it when it looks good and see what happens. So far it seems to be working well.

Can't believe this is sitting out there like a hanging curve and nobody has taken it out of the park.  With all due respect....

Image result for thats what she said gif

...Sorry Belle :(

28 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Can't believe this is sitting out there like a hanging curve and nobody has taken it out of the park.  With all due respect....

Image result for thats what she said gif

...Sorry Belle :(

Men always have their minds in the gutter......:brickwall:

Archived