Jox Roundtable taking over 6-10 am slot.

Barnacle

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm sure the hosts will miss not having to get up at 4 am to be ready for a 6 am time slot.

I like Del Greco and didn’t care for the other two. This seems sudden though ....

I never listened to the OD but listen to Roundtable all the time even listen on the  app when I'm out of town.  I don't know how the new time slot will work out. I like Rick & Bubba also. 

I worked in radio and even worked for the same company and did my internship on WJOX when Matt and Scott were the morning show and Ryan Haney was just the producer of the morning show. He is the Operations Manager now, also known as "The Suit." If I had to bet, this was a contract thing. They had good ratings. I don't have any inside info but that that would be my guess from what I have seen. There aren't any competitors for sports in the morning drive slot. 

56 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

I worked in radio and even worked for the same company and did my internship on WJOX when Matt and Scott were the morning show and Ryan Haney was just the producer of the morning show. He is the Operations Manager now, also known as "The Suit." If I had to bet, this was a contract thing. They had good ratings. I don't have any inside info but that that would be my guess from what I have seen. There aren't any competitors for sports in the morning drive slot. 

Could be a contract issue. No clue, but none of the opening drive guys are being retained in any time slot. If they had good ratings it's because they had a good slot and no competition like you said. I thought the show was insufferable, personally.

The OD offered nothing in regards to information inside the 2 universities that Al and Jay played for.  They barely knew the rosters.  Tony is/was a babbling idiot.  They were all there just taking up space for a few hours talking to each other.  The round table is a great show even tho it's 3 bammer fans they do a good job of discussing guy things as well as the major sports stories.  Although I think the 6am slot will be a bad time for their humor and such.  

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

The OD offered nothing in regards to information inside the 2 universities that Al and Jay played for.  They barely knew the rosters.  Tony is/was a babbling idiot.  They were all there just taking up space for a few hours talking to each other.  The round table is a great show even tho it's 3 bammer fans they do a good job of discussing guy things as well as the major sports stories.  Although I think the 6am slot will be a bad time for their humor and such.  

I'm not a Kurre fan, but I will defend him to the point of saying that he had the insanely difficult job of trying to make Jay and Al sound interesting. I think a lot of his antics and opinions were just designed to get discussion going, no matter how ridiculous. I'm amazed the show lasted as long as it did. 

On the other hand, I really do enjoy the Roundtable. The guys all seem to have a good time on air and they also genuinely like each other. They also have the ability to talk about professional sports, something the OD guys never did. 

I just talked to someone with a little inside info. Ratings were down quite a bit. With the economy doing better people weren't feeling the need to advertise as much. With ratings down, ad spots that may have gone for $2000 a couple years ago might only get $1000. He suggested there might be an issue with one of the guys thinking he was better than the other two. I won't divulge who he said but, It won't take much for folks on this board to figure it out. And that was simply my sources opinion...

I'll say this, aside from what most people know of Tony Kurre from the airwaves, he is a genuinely good guy in real life. After hearing all I did, he is the one that is in a tough spot now. Al is still coaching (Samford) and Jay has his Country Music star wife and a sporting goods store in Mt. Brook. Tony will probably have to change markets which means uprooting his family. He has two small kids and I know one has some disabilities. It's sad. Tony has been in the Birmingham market and his voice has been heard on the airwaves around here for probably 30 years or more. 

32 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

I just talked to someone with a little inside info. Ratings were down quite a bit. With the economy doing better people weren't feeling the need to advertise as much. With ratings down, ad spots that may have gone for $2000 a couple years ago might only get $1000. He suggested there might be an issue with one of the guys thinking he was better than the other two. I won't divulge who he said but, It won't take much for folks on this board to figure it out. And that was simply my sources opinion...

I'll say this, aside from what most people know of Tony Kurre from the airwaves, he is a genuinely good guy in real life. After hearing all I did, he is the one that is in a tough spot now. Al is still coaching (Samford) and Jay has his Country Music star wife and a sporting goods store in Mt. Brook. Tony will probably have to change markets which means uprooting his family. He has two small kids and I know one has some disabilities. It's sad. Tony has been in the Birmingham market and his voice has been heard on the airwaves around here for probably 30 years or more. 

Great post. 

And, I think you are right about Kurre. I really do think much of his on-air persona is driven by having to be the witty, funny, outrageous guy to keep the ball moving on that show, so to speak. I always got the impression that he was a pretty decent guy and I think he would be much better on air with some guys who actually have chemistry.

Pretty sure we all know which of the three would be the one to think he was better than the others. 

I hate that the Roundtable will be on so early now.  They are my mid-afternoon entertainment.   I don't mourn losing the OD.  It was a bad show.  Jay could never say a bad thing about UA to the point that he would defend any and all criticisms of the program.  Al always seemed like he had something better to do, but I did like him.  Tony was such a character and I liked what he brought to the show.  He had to make the other 2 seem like they had a personality.  I will miss Tony, and I hope he gets another gig in Birmingham.  I think he is excellent on the radio.  I hated when they cancelled MASS on Jox.  Those guys were awesome in that time slot.  What replaced them...Well, to be generous, it sounds like a bad college radio show with talent that doesn't know what to do.  I can't even listen to it.

One thing that really seems bad is that Jox doesn't let their cancelled shows at least finish the week.  MASS and OD both got the ax that day.  I know you have to worry that they may say something you can not control, but it would have been nice to have at least had them say good bye.

Archived