Jake Tapper Goes On Tweetstorm Calling Out Louis Farrakhan: ‘Elected Officials Meet With Him Openly’

Auburn85

https://www.mediaite.com/online/jake-tapper-goes-on-tweetstorm-calling-out-louis-farrakhan-elected-officials-meet-with-him-openly/

CNN’s Jake Tapper was incensed when Reverend Louis Farrakhangave a blatantly anti-Semitic speech for Saviours’ Day, a national convention organized by the Nation of Islam, and it was attended by thousands, including Womens’ March co-chair Tamika Mallory. (Tapper incorrectly identified her as a co-founder.)

Tapper unleashed a tweetstorm noting the time stamps of some of Farrakhan’s most heinous comments, including that “the Jews were responsible for all of this filth and degenerate behavior that Hollywood is putting out turning men into women and women into men.”

The CNN anchor condemned not only Farrakhan and Mallory, but also the political leaders who have given Farrakhan a platform despite his views and statements.

“This is who Farrakhan is. It’s why folks are legitimately so offended when they found out that then-Sen. Obama and members of the CBC met with him in 2005,” Tapper tweeted, including a picture ofBarack Obama smiling with the reverend.

In response, ShareBlue Senior Writer Oliver Willis tweeted that “your regularly scheduled right-wing virtue signaling is noted,” noting that President Donald Trump said “Nazis are good people.”

“Right on cue, a left wing activist attacks a journalist for reporting on/condemning Farrakhan’s anti-Semitism,” Tapper tweeted back. “Either bigotry is ok or it isn’t.”

Read the whole thread below:

On Sunday, Rev. Farrakhan gave his Saviours' Day 2018 Address, attended by thousands including one of the co-founders of the Women's March.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DMPSt_IQac 

At 2:57:00 he begins approvingly quoting some of the anti-Semitic comments made by Rev. Billy Graham and President Richard Nixon in the Oval Office.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DMPSt_IQac 

At 2:59:00 Farrakhan approvingly cites Nixon and Graham attacking Jews' "grip on the media" and Hollywood and "how the Jews were responsible for all of this filth and degenerate behavior that Hollywood is putting out turning men into women and women into men.”

Assailing Keith Ellison, at 3:21 Farrakhan says, "let me tell you something, when you want something in this world, the Jew holds the door."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DMPSt_IQac 

at 3;49: “White folks are going down. And Satan is going down. And Farrakhan ...has pulled the cover off the eyes of that Satanic Jew and I’m here to say your time is up, your world is through." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DMPSt_IQac 

The difference between Farrakhan and some members of the alt-reich whose heinous bigotry has received a lot of attention this past year: Farrakhan has a much larger following and elected officials meet with him openly.
-fin-

And right on cue, a left wing activist attacks a journalist for reporting on/condemning Farrakhan’s anti-Semitism.

Either bigotry is ok or it isn’t. https://twitter.com/owillis/status/968890883079835650 

43 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is why I like Tapper.  Calls BS out no matter who it is for/against.

Yep. This. 

I'll never understand why Farrakhan gets the respect and or admiration he does. He every bit as bad as your run of the mill white supremacist. 

There are quite a few of his speeches that if you just grabbed a transcript and put it in front of someone and asked them to guess who the speaker was, they'd tell you that it was Richard Spencer, a speaker at the Charlottsville rally, or some other alt-right white nationalist.  Literally indistinguishable in their attitudes.  It would only be when you got a hold of one of his speeches to black audiences where he goes into 'blame whitey' mode that you'd see any difference.

THE Reason Farrakhan never gets called out on his craziness? Because it would embarrass a few on the Left. At some point, Muslims throwing gays off of buildings became tolerable in the MSM because to show America that would be "Islamophobic." See Bill Maher and how he has been attacked for just saying the truth about Islam. In a lot of Left Quarters, some of my brethren strive to "become so open-minded that their brains have fallen out." I had a pre-op transgender male make that observation to me. Hi Stephanie! 

In the never stopping, mind-numbing, corkscrewed, convolutedness that is American Politics, we often see denials of the obvious by otherwise educated sane people because they would rather cede a salient point that may cost them a nanosecond of negative backtracking than to allow "the other side" a nanosecond of victory in a debate. That is how you now have Left-leaning people now siding with Sharia Law Imposing Islamic Nutjobs rather than admit that a Conservative may have a point. 

Farrakhan has always been a nutjob. Those that side with him do so because they would rather side with a nut job that hates their political enemies than admit the truth that he is indeed a nutjob. Conservatives now side with an embecilic, womanizing, misogynistic ass like Trump because he pisses off the Left rather than admit the truth that the man is completely out of his league in the WH. Woman's Leadership Groups and Feminists like Nina Burleigh, NOW, et al defended WJC and Ted Kennedy to the bitter end rather than do the right thing and join the Right and call these cretins what they actually are...womanizing, misogynistic asses just like Trump.

Farrakhan is just one of a hundred examples of stupid political choices made by both sides of American Politics in the last 50 years.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/womens-march/555122/

The Women's March Has a Farrakhan Problem

A year ago, the Women’s March punctuated Trump’s inauguration with what was likely the largest single-day mass demonstration in American history. Today, it finds itself embroiled in an unexpected controversy after the initial refusal of several of its leaders to distance themselves from one of America’s leading anti-Semites, the Nation of Islam’s Louis Farrakhan. It’s a conflict that stems from the long, entangled history between black and Jewish communities in the United States, in which friendship and friction are giving way to struggle over the dimensions of peoplehood. It also reveals anti-Semitism as a crucial blind spot of contemporary left-wing activism.

https://newsone.com/3779389/tamika-mallory-saviours-day/

[EXCLUSIVE] Tamika Mallory Speaks: ‘Wherever My People Are Is Where I Must Be’

Activist Tamika Mallory has faced backlash in recent weeks for attending Saviour’s Day, an annual gathering held by the Nation of Islam in Chicago last month. In an exclusive op-ed, the Women’s March co-chair addresses the criticism, her connection to the event and her commitment to building an “intersectional movement.”  

Iproudly serve as a leader for one of the largest women’s advocacy organizations in the world. For that reason, my recent presence at the Nation of Islam’s Saviour’s Day convocation troubled some of the very people who I have fought for and worked alongside for most of my life.

I have heard the pain and concerns of my LGBTQAI siblings, my Jewish friends and Black women (including those who do and those who don’t check off either of those other boxes.) I affirm the validity of those feelings, and as I continue to grow and learn as both an activist and as a woman, I will continue to grapple with the complicated nature of working across ideological lines and the question of how to do so without causing harm to vulnerable people.

I didn’t expect my presence at Saviour’s Day to lead anyone to question my beliefs, especially considering that I have been going to this event regularly for over 30 years. I first went with my parents when I was just a little girl, and would begin attending on my own after my son’s father was murdered nearly 17 years ago. In that most difficult period of my life, it was the women of the Nation of Islam who supported me and I have always held them close to my heart for that reason.

I am the same woman who helped to build an intersectional movement that fights for the rights of all people and stands against hatred and discrimination of all forms. I am the same person today that I was before Saviour’s Day, which begs the question – why are my beliefs being questioned now?

I was raised in activism and believe that as historically oppressed people, Blacks, Jews, Muslims and all people must stand together to fight racism, anti-Semitism and Islamophobia. I believe that LGBTQAI people are not an abomination or a creation of man, but simply people, and that religion is not to be used as a tool to abuse, divide, harm, bully or intimidate.

Where my people are is where I must also be. I go into difficult spaces. I attend meetings with police and legislators—the very folks so much of my protest has been directed towards. I’ve partnered and sat with countless groups, activists, religious leaders and institutions over the past 20 years. I’ve worked in prisons as well as with present and former gang members.

It is impossible for me to agree with every statement or share every viewpoint of the many people who I have worked with or will work with in the future. As I do not wish to be held responsible for the words of others when my own history shows that I stand in opposition to them, I also do not think it is fair to question anyone who works with me, who supports my work and who is a member of this movement because of the ways that I may have fallen short here or in any other instance.

My fellow Women’s March leaders believe that we can be the bridge to connect different groups in the name of our shared liberation. We don’t just step into difficult spaces, we create new ones. I am guided by the loving principles of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., though I have fallen short of them at times. And it is with the belief that “non-violence seeks to win friendship and understanding” and “non-violence seeks to defeat injustice, not people” that we organized a march on January 21, 2017, that 5 million people participated in worldwide; and we have been guided by those values the whole way through.

It is my intention to walk the tradition of Dr. Dorothy Height, successor to Mary McLeod Bethune as President of the National Council of Negro Women. In 1995, she faced criticism for participating in the Million Man March, which was organized by the Nation of Islam. Financial support was withheld from her organization, and there were attempts to bully and intimidate her. Nevertheless, she stood strong and proudly addressed the massive crowd of Black people who gathered on the National Mall. Her first words? “I am here because you are here.”

I also take cues from my mentor, Hazel N. Dukes, President of the New York State Conference of the NAACP, who has brought together Muslims, Blacks and Jewish people and clergy from all denominations. Her office and her home are open to gang members, teen mothers and formerly incarcerated people as well.

Coalition work is not easy, and these women have operated from a place of authentic love for all people. My work requires an operational unity that is sometimes extremely painful and uncomfortable, even for me. But I push forward even when I am personally conflicted because our people are more important.

– Tamika D. Mallory, Freedom Fighter

On 2/28/2018 at 5:25 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Although inconsistent, he occasionally nails it. Good for him on this matter.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:49 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Meh. Jake Tapper is a gem CNN should count themselves lucky to have. He's blunt, fair and well-informed. 

4 hours ago, Auburn85 said:

Remember she is a student of Mao's teachings. Some say she was the shadow president during Obama's reign.

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Meh. Jake Tapper is a gem CNN should count themselves lucky to have. He's blunt, fair and well-informed. 

And he often gets run over. Look no further than the recent town hall in Fla. Out of his league. In other words, Meh.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Took him more than ten years to get incensed about Louis?   what took so long?.

The guy has been an anti-Semite bigot for as long as I can remember and I've yet to see a prominent black leader say anything about him.  Good for Jake...but why has he given every member of the black caucus a pass over their involvement with Louie..?

Jake will be moving along to something else by Tuesday.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:49 PM, AUFAN78 said:

It's more than occasionally.

Louis Farrakhan ok to meet with and work with, but not pro-life women. They get the boot.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/01/17/pro_life_feminist_group_new_wave_feminists_removed_from_women_s_march_partnership.html

The March has hundreds of official partners, and New Wave Feminists was added to that list on Friday. In an in-depth story in the Atlantic, reporter Emma Green described how the Women’s March was shaping up to be a feminist space that welcomed women from along various ideological spectrums. Bob Bland, one of the event’s co-chairs, told Green that “We must not just talk about feminism as one issue, like access to reproductive care,” and said she was happy to see women of all backgrounds involved. “Perhaps the Women’s March on Washington is a sign that feminism is changing,” Green wrote: “a first gathering of a truly ‘intersectional’ movement which makes room for women with diverse convictions, including a moral opposition to abortion.”

Not so fast! Several prominent feminist writers quickly pushed back online:

Intersectional feminism does not include a pro-life agenda. That's not how it works! The right to choose is a fundamental part of feminism.

Horrified that the @womensmarch has partnered w/an anti-choice org. Plse reconsider - inclusivity is not about bolstering those who harm us.

The march’s leadership responded almost as quickly, removing New Wave Feminists from its list of partners and issuing a statement that said the march’s platform is pro-choice and that “the anti-choice organization in question is not a partner of the Women’s March on Washington. We regret the error.” Herndon-De La Rosa sounded amused by the idea that her inclusion was an “error.” She said she had to submit a bio and links to her website and social media accounts in her application, all of which make clear that her goal is to “make abortion unthinkable.” She also said no one from the march contacted her before revoking her partnership and releasing the statement. (The co-chair of the march who sent Herndon-De La Rosa confirmation of her group’s partnership did not respond to an email request for comment as of Tuesday morning.)

The Women’s March platform, released last week, is indeed firmly pro-choice. Herndon-De La Rosa applied for partnership before that platform was released, but it didn’t stop her from being willing to stand side by side with women with whom she profoundly disagrees on the question of abortion rights. “We have a different opinion, but there are so many ways our beliefs overlap,” she told me. “The idea that feminism is this club, and you can be anything you want but not pro-life is so ironic.”

Of course, feminism is a kind of club—if it has no shared principles, then it has no meaning. But by publicly rejecting the “membership” of women who oppose abortion rights, feminist leaders leave many potential allies on other issues behind. That may be a rational calculation for the sake of movement unity, but it’s no small number of people to reject. A 2015 poll by PPRI found that more than half of millennial women who identify as feminists consider themselves pro-life (18 percent) or both pro-life and pro-choice (37 percent).

When she first applied for partnership in this weekend’s march, Herndon-De La Rosa had expected to attend with between 50 and 100 pro-life feminist peers, including representatives of Life Matters Journal and other groups. She is still planning on attending—she’s flying to Washington on Friday—and she hopes the publicity over her revoked partnership status will encourage even more people to turn out. Her group has signs all ready to go, with slogans including “Pro-peace, Pro-life,” “Women are never property, even in the womb,” and “Abortion is the epitome of ‘Might makes right.’ ” She could add one more, a quote from Hillary Clinton in an interview last spring: “Of course you can be a feminist and be pro-life.”

8 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It's more than occasionally.

This. Tapper's objectivity should never be questioned. He was very hard on Obama and this isn't the first time he's butted heads with people involved in the women's march over their bull****. 

https://www.mediaite.com/online/keith-ellison-issues-statement-after-scrutiny-over-past-ties-to-farrakhan-this-is-a-smear/

Keith Ellison Issues Statement After Scrutiny Over Past Ties to Farrakhan: ‘This Is a Smear’

With Louis Farrakhan back in the news over recent vile comments he made and some Democrats’ ties to him, Congressman Keith Ellison issued a lengthy statement today addressing the scrutiny surrounding him in particular.

A CNN report from late 2016 documented his past ties to Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam at the time, and a recent fact-check fromThe Washington Post said Ellison is “trying to have it both ways, publicly distancing himself while privately doing something else,” pointing to interactions between Ellison and Farrakhan in recent years.

Ellison has a post up on Medium this afternoon to defend his record against hate and intolerance, denouncing Farrakhan’s “disparaging” and divisive views before addressing those more recent interactions:

I do not have and have never had a relationship with Mr. Farrakhan, but I have been in the same room as him. About a decade ago, he and I had a brief, chance encounter in Washington, D.C. In 2013, I attended a meeting in New York City with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and nearly 50 others where I advocated for the release of an American political prisoner. I didn’t know Mr. Farrakhan would be there and did not speak to him at the event. Contrary to recent reports, I have not been in any meeting with him since then, and he and I have no communication of any kind.

The DNC vice chair adds, “[A]s the attacks on me and my fellow Black representatives in Congress intensify, I want to be clear: this is a smear by factions on the right who want to pit the Jewish community and the Black community against each other, and distract from the hatred and bigotry on display by the president and the white supremacists who stormed Charlottesville this summer with their anti-Semitic chants and Confederate flags.”

“The critics will not be satisfied,” he continues. “They won’t be satisfied any more than President Obama’s production of his birth documents satisfied his critics, or Hillary Clinton’s eleven-hour testimony before the House Select Committee on Benghazi sated her detractors… [T]hose who aim to make me guilty by false association have made themselves hard to ignore.”

Archived