Projected depth chart to open spring practice

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

If Joey wins it this place will go nuts w/ hype & dredd. Lol

And I'm all for it. Let the chaos ensue.

IMG_1065.GIF

43 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Cam took years to develop into the player we saw at Auburn. That's all I hope folks remember when they think of Gatewood. Cam was a sub-package guy who was glued to the bench for multiple years. Appeared in six games with 12 pass attempts and 21 rush attempts in his first two years. It will take time for Gatewood to develop.

Might not take that long.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

Cam took years to develop into the player we saw at Auburn. That's all I hope folks remember when they think of Gatewood. Cam was a sub-package guy who was glued to the bench for multiple years. Appeared in six games with 12 pass attempts and 21 rush attempts in his first two years. It will take time for Gatewood to develop.

Yup... but sadly, the casual fan is going to see 6'4, 230+ lb QB with wheels and their mind is going to go one place. I hope he can handle the pressure of expectations or the staff can keep him somewhat isolated from them.

Noah Igbinoghene will play on both sides of ball this spring

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn coach Gus Malzahn had an easy solution to getting Noah Igbinoghene on the field more — have him play both ways. The sophomore wide receiver will start out spring practice taking reps at defensive back as well.

“It’s just kind of one of those things — we really feel like he’s got a special talent,” Malzahn said before the first day of spring practice on Thursday. “We were very impressed with him last year with him on special teams. Just want to make sure he has best chance to get on the field.”

Auburn’s depth at receiver — the team added four high profile signees at the position (Shedrick Jackson, Matthew Hill, Anthony Schwartz and Seth Williams — made the decision an easy one.

“I’m very excited for him,” Malzahn said.

Igbinoghene caught six passes for 24 yards last season as a true freshman and was the team’s starting kick returner. He had a memorable 70-yard return against Ole Miss. He returned six kicks in the Peach Bowl against UCF for 174 yards. The speedy 5-foot-1, 186-pounder finished the year with 24 returns for 571 yards (23.8 yards per return).

The Hewitt-Trussville (Ala.) alum is also running track for Auburn this spring. He placed seventh in the triple jump at the SEC Indoor Track & Field Championships last month with the best performance by an Auburn freshman in the event in the last two decades (15.24m/50-0).

Igbinoghene will start out spring focusing mostly on the defensive side of the ball to learn the “foundation and fundamentals” of the position.

“Then me and him will get back together after the break and determine how much he does of both,” Malzahn said. “The good thing is he’s got a full year under his belt at wide receiver.”

Malzahn was adamant about Igbinoghene getting snaps on both sides of the ball this fall as long as the sophomore feels comfortable with both of his roles.

“We got to try to find a way to get him on the field, he’s very open to it,” Malzahn said. “If he does stick with the corner position you will see him play both ways.”

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Iggy starting to get swallowed up in the depth chart.  They playing both ways things hasn’t happened under Malzahn.  

It kind of happened... as in they said it was going to but ended up not. Rudy Ford was said to be in the running back depth chart the end of his senior year when our backs were dropping like flies.

I like to see us shoring up our defensive back field, but I hate to lose Iggy's speed at receiver if it ends up just being a transition instead of playing both ways.

25 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Iggy starting to get swallowed up in the depth chart.  They playing both ways things hasn’t happened under Malzahn.  

I think he could potentially see more PT as a DB than WR.  There is a lot of talent at WR.

18 hours ago, Weagle1787 said:

We've really got to put more emphasis on the Advertising position in recruiting. 

I suppose if Ricky Bobby can sell his windshield, AU can sell one position to a sponsor. Got to pay for the stadium reno somehow...

Archived