Gus's update on spring practice

WFE12

What Gus Malzahn said to preview Auburn football spring practice

AUBURN, Ala. — After a season in which Auburn won the SEC West and reached the conference title game in Atlanta, the Tigers are getting back to work.

The Tigers will practice for the first time this spring on Thursday afternoon after an offseason spent in the weight room. Before that, Tigers coach Gus Malzahn will speak to media members and preview what he expects in the coming weeks.

RELATED: Jarrett Stidham, other key storylines for fans as Auburn returns to practice

Malzahn is known for emphasizing the importance of spring football on The Plains. It’s a time for young players to get acclimated and for veterans to take over as leaders. As always, there are new faces in the locker room this March, and many of those newcomers could play critical roles this season.

Here’s what Malzahn said in advance of the Tigers’ first spring practice:

• Malzahn kicks things off talking about how excited Auburn coaches and players are for spring practice.
  • Larry Porter will take over special teams and Tim Horton will take over as recruiting coordinator. Marcus Woodson will be focused on corners and Greg Brown will focus on safeties.
  • Quarterback Jarrett Stidham is out of his sling, according to Malzahn, and he’s expected to come back and throw after spring break. “We’ll kind of see where that goes.”
  • Wide receiver Ryan Davis had a “minor procedure done on his shoulder.”
  • Daquan Newkirk tore his Achilles tendon, according to Malzahn. “He was off to such a great start, he was doing really well in our mat drills, but it’s not the end of the world.”
  • Noah Igbinoghene will play corner and wide receiver. “It’s one of those things we really feel like he has a special talent.”
  • Auburn will be in helmets only Thursday and Saturday and will transition to shells.
  • The plan is to get a foundation built and then really get going after spring break.
  • “I told our coaches, I want each player to improve in one area … I told the coordinators I want a two-deep at the end of spring,” Malzahn said.
  • “The running back position, that’ll be a big key this spring … This spring we’ll probably get tackled more than we have in the past. That will be by design.”
  • Offensive line: “I’m excited to see how that thing plays out, who steps up,” Malzahn said. He’s also looking forward to seeing how the safety battle shakes out.
  • Malzahn said this probably is the healthiest Auburn has been going into spring.
  • On freshmen: Malzahn is looking for “every one of them” to step up and be ready. “I think there will be some very good competition … It’s a very athletic group … I’ll be able to tell you more as spring goes on.”
  • On running backs: “We need to know who can protect. There’s more to playing that position than just running the football. That’s going to be a big key, just seeing who can separate themselves.”
  • Stidham’s absence will give Malik Willis a chance to work with the first group, especially during the first four days.
  • Malzahn emphasizes spring will be simple by design.
  • Malzahn says freshman quarterback Joey Gatewood will be “in the mix” in the two-deep. “The thing about Joey, he’s very coachable. He has a great attitude.”

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iggy at CB is an eyebrow raiser. Very interested to see his potential there.

48 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Iggy at CB is an eyebrow raiser. Very interested to see his potential there.

Don’t like this two way thing. He needs to excel at a position first at least.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don’t like this two way thing. He needs to excel at a position first at least.

I see your point. As long as this is just for a backup plan and not necessity I'm fine with it. He showed some spark at wr for the few times he got pt. As long as he doesn't run straight into people like he does on returns.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Already with the footwork Stidham.

That's what I thought too or maybe that assistant was being meticulous about it.

Just now, AidiAU said:

I miss KJ. 

Asa will bring back fond memories I believe.

11 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I see your point. As long as this is just for a backup plan and not necessity I'm fine with it. He showed some spark at wr for the few times he got pt. As long as he doesn't run straight into people like he does on returns.

I would bet what is happening is that we need depth in the defensive backfield and we have plenty at receiver, so the focus will be on getting him ready for the first and the latter will happen if it happens. 

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

On running backs: “We need to know who can protect. There’s more to playing that position than just running the football. That’s going to be a big key, just seeing who can separate themselves.”

Confirmation of what many have been saying about who gets time on the field and why at running back.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I would bet what is happening is that we need depth in the defensive backfield and we have plenty at receiver, so the focus will be on getting him read for the first and the latter will happen if it happens. 

I wonder how Broussard will shape out in these camps...I hadn't paid attention to him in the past but see that he had some really good looking tape. Is McCreary an automatic redshirt? Really hoping Tutt along with the other freshmen safety grow up fast.

Goodness it’s good to have JB back!!!  No more wrestling with a board.  I know we all use tools to work on specific drills but getting back to basics on the line is gonna be a good thing with this raw group...

Woodson = Corner

Brown = Safeties

I really like Brown coaching the safeties. They will need his experience and teaching

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Woodson = Corner

Brown = Safeties

I really like Brown coaching the safeties. They will need his experience and teaching

Win win!  Other then getting the playbook down in our defense if you can handle the island then CB is easy

Just now, bmartin3228 said:

May have missed it but why did they move whitlow back to WR? I heard he was killing it at RB and potential starter next year . 

Haven’t heard that.  

Just now, bmartin3228 said:

May have missed it but why did they move whitlow back to WR? I heard he was killing it at RB and potential starter next year . 

He's still at RB. That's how it's just been since he's gotten on the team.

1 minute ago, bmartin3228 said:

Maybe misprint on roster that I just saw posted 

IMG_1888.PNG

For those questions about Iggy.  It’s best in the long run for him and the team to be in the defensive backfield.  He’s a Stove 2.0 good with the ball in his hands but not a dynamic pass catcher.  His athleticism is off the charts and the one question I had about him he answered with his no fear physical attitude on kick returns

4 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Looks like Asa has put on about 10ish pounds since Christmas.  Good to see.  Still need to see Malik under 220

Archived