Gus's update on spring practice

WFE12

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who was our last player to play both ways?

Also good to hear that Tucker Brown will be getting to snap some.  Great idea for a backup plan.  I don’t think he would ever be a starter but if you got to your 6th center in a season and some of us older guys have seen it before just having someone with an idea of how to snap is good.  Plus the wrestling in the interior of the line will only make him better at TE/HB

52 minutes ago, toddc said:

Who was our last player to play both ways?

Rudy Ford

49 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Calvin Ashley’s body looks much more like a OT then an OG this spring.  Good to see.  He’s in good “Hands” now.

He is not big enough to be a horse, yet he is too big to be a man.

I love watching JB coach the guys on the line.  Don't know about his recruiting but I love his attention to detail.  Another thing I like about him is that he can coach calmly or get heated when it is not done correctly.  I think it is good to be both the good guy and the hard ass.  When teaching young players the fundamentals it is good for them to be able to take coaching in a calm teaching manner and then get the wrath when they don't listen or do what is being asked.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

Rudy Ford

Ford started there,  but changed to defense for good! I’m speaking of players who played offense and defense during a season!

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

For those questions about Iggy.  It’s best in the long run for him and the team to be in the defensive backfield.  He’s a Stove 2.0 good with the ball in his hands but not a dynamic pass catcher.  His athleticism is off the charts and the one question I had about him he answered with his no fear physical attitude on kick returns

If he's willing to give it a try then I think it shows some maturity on his part wanting to help where he can. Being a receiver I think he will naturally look for the ball which seems to be something our corners don't do enough of. 

44 minutes ago, toddc said:

Ford started there,  but changed to defense for good! I’m speaking of players who played offense and defense during a season!

Rudy did. He got a TD carry against a scrub team IIRC.

1 minute ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Rudy did. He got a TD carry against a scrub team IIRC.

Check that. Alabama A&M in 2016. 2 carries for 6yds and a catch for 25yds.

" Daquan Newkirk tore his Achilles tendon, according to Malzahn. “He was off to such a great start, he was doing really well in our mat drills, but it’s not the end of the world.”

It isn't the end of the world, but it damn sure ain't insignificant. I'm starting to fear that Newkirk is going to be one of those cases that never has things work out for him. A world of talent but something's always in the way.

About moving Iggy to defense: Maybe they've seen that coming for quite a while now. People wondering why we signed a lot of WR guys this time, I suspect this is part of the answer.

11 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I see your point. As long as this is just for a backup plan and not necessity I'm fine with it. He showed some spark at wr for the few times he got pt. As long as he doesn't run straight into people like he does on returns.

This is usually what we do before moving them over fully. I think they give a kid the chance to stay at their current position. It's a loaded spot at WR.

12 hours ago, corchjay said:

Looks like Asa has put on about 10ish pounds since Christmas.  Good to see.  Still need to see Malik under 220

Does look like he has added some weight. Which is great. Need to in a big way. Hope he can get to about 205 by next fall. We would be in business then. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

" Daquan Newkirk tore his Achilles tendon, according to Malzahn. “He was off to such a great start, he was doing really well in our mat drills, but it’s not the end of the world.”

It isn't the end of the world, but it damn sure ain't insignificant. I'm starting to fear that Newkirk is going to be one of those cases that never has things work out for him. A world of talent but something's always in the way.

About moving Iggy to defense: Maybe they've seen that coming for quite a while now. People wondering why we signed a lot of WR guys this time, I suspect this is part of the answer.

Iggy is a great athlete but just isn't electric with the ball. He is just like Trovon Reed. No need in being buried on the depth chart when you could contribute at another position. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Iggy is a great athlete but just isn't electric with the ball. He is just like Trovon Reed. No need in being buried on the depth chart when you could contribute at another position. 

My thoughts exactly. TR should've been moved his sophomore year.

14 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Asa will bring back fond memories I believe.

I believe so also, but it's likely to be a year or two at least before he reaches a KJ level. Well that or he will be our next heisman RB!

13 hours ago, corchjay said:

Calvin Ashley’s body looks much more like a OT then an OG this spring.  Good to see.  He’s in good “Hands” now.

Haha I see what you did there.

44 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Exactly my thought as well. 

Reed played a few seasons at the next level in the defensive backfield. Iggy very well could do the same.

• “I told our coaches, I want each player to improve in one area … I told the coordinators I want a two-deep at the end of spring,” Malzahn said.
  • “The running back position, that’ll be a big key this spring … This spring we’ll probably get tackled more than we have in the past. That will be by design
  • Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!!! Gus finally!

10 hours ago, Randman5000 said:
  • “I told our coaches, I want each player to improve in one area … I told the coordinators I want a two-deep at the end of spring,” Malzahn said.
  • “The running back position, that’ll be a big key this spring … This spring we’ll probably get tackled more than we have in the past. That will be by design
  • Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!!! Gus finally!

Probably so he can see how the backs look when hit! Lol then we'll know before the first game if they have butter hands.

I’m still holding out hope for getting Calvin Anderson. He could play LT, Ashley at RT, and Tega is athletic enough to play in the jumbo package and even lineup at TE on occasion. 

On 3/2/2018 at 7:28 AM, alexava said:

What injury has Josh Marsh out? 

He had knee surgery and is still nursing it a bit. He’s not fully cleared this Spring. He is another one that will likely be good to go by Fall. 

Archived