2018 Spring Practice - Day 1

RunInRed

A Recap ...

• Defensive lineman Paul James III is no longer on Auburn's roster
  • Defensive lineman Daquan Newkirk to miss spring due to torn Achilles tendon
  • Malzahn confirmed Larry Porter will take over as special teams coordinator. Tim Horton will serve as recruiting coordinator, a role he has previously held at Auburn.
  • Marcus Woodson will focus on corners, Greg Brown on safeties.
  • Jarrett Stidham is out of his sling and "will be limited" this spring. Will do footwork the first week and throw after spring break.
  • Joey Gatewood will "be in the mix" in the two-deep.
  • Ryan Davis had a minor shoulder procedure, will be in orange jersey and limited the first week.
  • Noah Igbinoghene will play corner and wide receiver this spring.
  • Josh Marsh will not go through spring practice due to injury.
  • Ian Shannon is a full-time kicker now
  • Helmets only today and Saturday. Shells next week. Full pads after spring break.

d1b_a620180301auspring17447_jb.JPGJoey Gatewood (1) | Julie Bennett/al.com

f91_a720180301auspring17461_jb.JPG
Joey Gatewood (1) | Julie Bennett/al.com

b74_a720180301auspring17460_jb.JPGNoah Igbinoghene (4) | Julie Bennett/al.com

c3f_a720180301auspring17462_jb.JPG
Julie Bennett/al.com

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Noah Igbinoghene will play corner and wide receiver this spring.

Interesting to see him at corner with his speed

That Special Teams news seems like a win...

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

PJ3 gone? Didn't see that coming. Any back story?

Beat out by younger guys

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

PJ3 gone? Didn't see that coming. Any back story?

This is the time of year when guys see they aren't going to get much playing time and drop out. Most do stay until the end of the current school term, but some just pack it in. For all we know, James left before this term even started.

32 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Was told K. Kim got a lot of reps with the 1's at C yesterday? Would be HUGE and I mean HUGE if he could win that spot. 

It would also be huge if N. Brahms would be ready to start as well. I would take either assuming they are a good fit. Horton is too good of a guard for me to be happy putting him at center. 

51 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Was told K. Kim got a lot of reps with the 1's at C yesterday? Would be HUGE and I mean HUGE if he could win that spot. 

@lionheartkc, fingers crossed.

Change of scenery sure did Jason Campbell and our entire 2009 and 2013 rosters a lot of good. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Absolutely. Nick's snaps looked pretty raggedy in those videos, maybe understandably so - inexperienced guy coming off injury rehab. Kaleb's chance to shine.

2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Absolutely. Nick's snaps looked pretty raggedy in those videos, maybe understandably so - inexperienced guy coming off injury rehab. Kaleb's chance to shine.

Even better, a chance for an actual 2-deep at center. Can you imagine?

Just now, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

What scenery changed this year?

Hand > Grimes

Grimes recruited Kim, and Kim was very vocal at the time in citing how key Grimes to his choosing Auburn. I've remained firm that Kim very well could take a dramatic leap this season. (I think it will be good for the others, too- the other 4 guys that Grimes recruited as well as the ones recruited since- but my focus is always on center, and I think a lot of people think that is where the spotlight will primarily be this offseason as far as the OL is concerned.)

Before people jump @McLoofus. The first line up there is Hand -----> Grimes; not Hand is better than Grimes.

Careful with those mathematical symbols on a board full of Auburn (read: likely math-heavy) grads!

1 minute ago, mcgufcm said:

Before people jump @McLoofus. The first line up there is Hand -----> Grimes; not Hand is better than Grimes.

Careful with those mathematical symbols on a board full of Auburn (read: likely math-heavy) grads!

Great catch, and many thanks. 

The jam band fans among us will catch the song transition signifier. And for them, I can't believe Gus is giving us a super tasty Grimes > Hand > Grimes sandwich in the first set...

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Excited about this season. We have the pieces to do well. 

OT's are going to be a problem. Any kind of injury................................ yikes. 

Archived