2018 Spring Practice - Day 1

RunInRed

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

OT's are going to be a problem. Any kind of injury................................ yikes. 

Yes. If OT’s get hurt were fricked. But that’s my only real worry right now. Agree? 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OT's are going to be a problem. Any kind of injury................................ yikes. 

Experience is in very short supply, but at least we have some athleticism. Well, at least 3 guys.

We only play 1 tackle at a time, right?

Oh dear. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Yes. If OT’s get hurt were fricked. But that’s my only real worry right now. Agree? 

Safety and RB for me. We tend to get our yards in the run game, but if we can't pass block, we're going to lean heavily on some young dudes. 

And P/K to a lesser degree. You never know until you know.

Thomas at the 1's with the safety's has me very concerned. But yeah the team looks loaded. No excuses for Gus this year. 

Thomas at the 1's with the safety's has me very concerned. But yeah the team looks loaded. No excuses for Gus this year. 

We said this last year and he got a contract extension. I still think we have more concerns than last year with a new o line, inexperienced RBs and the defensive back field. Sure we do have talent but questionable on how they will handle it all at first. Might be one of those seasons where we get stronger as the season goes along.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

We said this last year and he got a contract extension. I still think we have more concerns than last year with a new o line, inexperienced RBs and the defensive back field. Sure we do have talent but questionable on how they will handle it all at first. Might be one of those seasons where we get stronger as the season goes along.

Gus wouldn't be Gus without doing that, which is why he will probably want us losing to Washington, so he can point out how we have improved every week. :Sing:

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Agree on Thomas. I’m not worried because RB’s because it’s Gus and we know at least one of them will go for 1000 yards. I think Stid takes a step forward and our WR’s ball out. 

2 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Gus wouldn't be Gus without doing that, which is why he will probably want us losing to Washington, so he can point out how we have improved every week. :Sing:

I am just preparing the masses . I hate to say it but I would be pretty surprise if we win against Washington opening day, yet wouldn’t be surprised if we are in the SEC title game.

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Thomas at the 1's with the safety's has me very concerned.

Me too!

@bigbird you think Sherwood could take a safety spot this spring? 

I think both he and Monday have a great opportunity in front of them. I believe both their skill sets and potential are higher than Thomas'.   That said, I would be very happy to be proven wrong. Dinson will need to take over the role Trey held as the communicator back there. Trey's leadership will be greatly missed.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

ho was running with the first team at RB? KMart?

And Asa. I can't wait to see Asa come September. Kid is going to play early and alot.

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

And Asa. I can't wait to see Asa come September. Kid is going to play early and alot.

I just have a feeling the Asa will end up being our #1 back next year.  That's not a knock on any of the other guys, just a feeling I have.

1 minute ago, AUatHeart said:

I just have a feeling the Asa will end up being our #1 back next year.  That's not a knock on any of the other guys, just a feeling I have

Me too. He has the build for it, now just needs the reps.

10 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I just have a feeling the Asa will end up being our #1 back next year.  That's not a knock on any of the other guys, just a feeling I have.

I agree. I know it was high school, but he was putting up full game stats in one half.

3 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I agree. I know it was high school, but he was putting up full game stats in one half.

He wasn't the only back we signed that was doing that.

20 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

The opportunity is there, that's for certain.  Would love to have Whitlow step into that rotation as well, making us three deep between Kam, Asa and Whitlow.

And before I forget, because I always seem to forget - Mr. Shivers. If history is an indicator, the fact that I keep overlooking him (no pun intended), means he'll probably ball out this season.

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The opportunity is there, that's for certain.  Would love to have Whitlow step into that rotation as well, making us three deep between Kam, Asa and Whitlow.

I'll be surprised if it's not K. Martin and Whitlow running 1A and 1B in no particular order to start the season, with Whitlow taking over every-down duties and KMart finding more situational opportunities.

I would not be surprised to see Miller, Barrett and Shivers get a similar number of touches as A. Martin this season. Miller and Shivers have niche appeal (with both having an opportunity to grow into more generalized players), while A. Martin 2018 looks and sounds a lot like Barrett 2017. Tons of guesswork and ankle-depth analysis there, but hey, it's the offseason.  

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'll be surprised if it's not K. Martin and Whitlow running 1A and 1B in no particular order to start the season, with Whitlow taking over every-down duties and KMart finding more situational opportunities.

I would not be surprised to see Miller, Barrett and Shivers get a similar number of touches as A. Martin this season. Miller and Shivers have niche appeal (with both having an opportunity to grow into more generalized players), while A. Martin 2018 looks and sounds a lot like Barrett 2017. Tons of guesswork and ankle-depth analysis there, but hey, it's the offseason.  

Ankle deep and I'm already out of my depth. Spring game will tell us a lot, I think. 

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I can't believe it's already spring ball. Who was running with the first team at RB? KMart? 

Time flies when you have basketball.

Has anyone seen Whitlow run? Without seeing his skills in real time, how can we tell how he stacks up with other backs. Just his size alone doesn't tell me. Malik Miller has great size, but is not moving up the chart, and not shown in games he has been in to have that special skill you want from your RB. I know what the coaches said at the bowl game, but I have seen this talk before, then the player hardly sees the field.

I want to see Asa and Whitlow in spring game, doing their thing, then we can tell we have someone with special skills for our RB.

7 hours ago, DAG said:

I am just preparing the masses . I hate to say it but I would be pretty surprise if we win against Washington opening day, yet wouldn’t be surprised if we are in the SEC title game.

Right there with you.

Even if they do lose to YouDub, as long as they look well coached and compete well I'm good with that... would give me hope.

Will be glad to see any of the backs do well, as this means the o-line is jelling and doing their thing. If this happens and the o-line does well, Gary Walker can run thru the holes. 

Just think the o-line is the key to our success. 

8 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yes, and actually the whole OL is going to be.

wde

13 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Was told K. Kim got a lot of reps with the 1's at C yesterday? Would be HUGE and I mean HUGE if he could win that spot. 

Why would this be huge? Seems like it would be bad news if he is the starting center as I recall seeing where Kim is not an SEC caliber lineman. If so, then yikes.

Archived