Trade War!

TexasTiger

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Who’s all in?

Another campaign promise kept. The folks in Pennsylvania and Ohio are in for sure. And we aren't almost totally dependent on foreign steel if a war should break out which is always a possibility these days.

4 hours ago, AUDub said:

NsoFTC0.gif

Gotta say that is one spectacular, potential neck-breaking spill right there.  Thank God water was at the bottom ... ... whoa

6 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Who’s all in?

Not me. I understand the cost of a case of beer up 4 cents......................bottles not allowed on beach or in boat

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not me. I understand the cost of a case of beer up 4 cents......................bottles not allowed on beach or in boat

WTH impeach the sob now he has crossed the line

4 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Another campaign promise kept. The folks in Pennsylvania and Ohio are in for sure. And we aren't almost totally dependent on foreign steel if a war should break out which is always a possibility these days.

Depends on the industry:

http://radio.wosu.org/post/ohio-manufacturers-split-trumps-steel-aluminum-tariffs#stream/0

Hey, from what I've heard, Trump was in an "irritable mood".  ;D

Trumps presidency is turning out to be exactly as I expected.  I even called trade policy as the issue that ultimately breaks him with - whatever remains - of  the Republican party. 

:party:

5 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Can you provide a list of those campaign promises?

10 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

You do realize that one of the major causes of the Great Depression was because of a trade war with Europe, right?  Specifically the idiocy of the Smoot-Hawley Tariff of 1930 that was pitched as protecting American industry.  Trade fell by 2/3 from 1930 - 1934 after that, costing a lot of people their jobs.

What's the old saying.?  Oh yeah.  Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Alabama in particular is very reliant on trade exports. This doesn't bode well for us. 

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You do realize that one of the major causes of the Great Depression was because of a trade war with Europe, right?  Specifically the idiocy of the Smoot-Hawley Tariff of 1930 that was pitched as protecting American industry.  Trade fell by 2/3 from 1930 - 1934 after that, costing a lot of people their jobs.

What's the old saying.?  Oh yeah.  Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Didn't you know we weren't supposed to say but.........:Sing:

Anyone who has been involved with international trade knows that we have been in a "trade war" for decades.  Kinda like when Bin Laden declared war on the US and we thought if we ignore him, nothing will happen.   So we play like there is no "trade war" and allow China, Korea, India and several European countries to ruin our major industries and fine or penalize US companies who have the temerity to be too successful in their markets.

Our "friends" have been engaged in industrial espionage for as long as I can remember, stealing secrets, violating patents and discriminating against US products in what ever subtle way they could. 

One of the few things I have been somewhat supportive of the dems has been the need to do a better job of protecting American industry and American workers. Looks like DT is trying to do that for them....and they are saying nothing and letting him catch the heat from the GOP.  So much for bi-partisanship. 

On 3/3/2018 at 11:31 AM, AU64 said:

Anyone who has been involved with international trade knows that we have been in a "trade war" for decades.  Kinda like when Bin Laden declared war on the US and we thought if we ignore him, nothing will happen.   So we play like there is no "trade war" and allow China, Korea, India and several European countries to ruin our major industries and fine or penalize US companies who have the temerity to be too successful in their markets.

Our "friends" have been engaged in industrial espionage for as long as I can remember, stealing secrets, violating patents and discriminating against US products in what ever subtle way they could. 

One of the few things I have been somewhat supportive of the dems has been the need to do a better job of protecting American industry and American workers. Looks like DT is trying to do that for them....and they are saying nothing and letting him catch the heat from the GOP.  So much for bi-partisanship. 

You get the prize!  We're long past the time for propping up CH or helping them enter into the family of nations.  We're being taken advantage of...and have been for at least 20 years. 

I deal with this every day ...we built the tech industry for them, moved all the adjacent industries and the entire supply chain....taught them quality manufacturing and built a $3.2T tech manufacturing sector for them....and exported every US tech job in the process .... no different in India or Brazil either. 

India is attacking US companies that produce outside India, especially in CH, with a series of punitive administrative actions against US companies that produce in China and import to India due to the uncompetitive costs resulting from their domestic duties and taxes. They've instituted an administrative review process that allows them to arbitrarily cancel import certificates on products coming from  China or elsewhere.  The net result is built product; significant amounts of working capital tied up; that sets at the dock in India while the bureaucracy grinds thru it's less than transparent process review process.  This is a major sticking point with the Modi gov't right now for multiple US companies.  Last Oct, I had over $100m in product tied up in customs for 54 days while the political officials said one thing and the bureaucrats did exactly the opposite.  Product normally clears within 48 hours.  And then they also want us to import an unlimited number of their workers to provide them jobs  that their backwards economic policies won't create domestically.   

We need to grow a pair...reciprocal trade agreements make sense.  Tax my products; we'll tax yours....don't tax them, we won't either....simple....now let's go negotiate some real business.   

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:36 AM, AUDub said:

Alabama in particular is very reliant on trade exports. This doesn't bode well for us. 

What ever happened to the state's iron and steel industry?  and more recently, it's textile industry? 

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

What ever happened to the state's iron and steel industry?  and more recently, it's textile industry? 

The loss of our textile industry huge. A lot of money invested through out the south on nice plants and high tech machinery went to waste prior to losing the industry. Loved wearing a Russell shirt, "made in America", versus a made in Viet Nam shirt. Nice to dry off with towels made by WPP. A big part of my career was textile plant  construction. Poof gone, looking back. Correct me I wrong 64 but the old Game hats were originally made in Columbus, Ga. That ended with trade in China and their child labor. 

Remember driving into Alex City one morning when we were building Russell's Coosa plant. All plants had Coca Cola machines sitting  outside on the lawns. Mr Gwaltney had learned that Coke had given their uniform contract to a Chinese company.    

• 3 weeks later...

Archived