Trade War!

TexasTiger

I find it interesting how politics have seemed to change sides on trade since trump won.  These arguments were much different when Romney ran vs Obama. Republicans used to defend offshore outsourcing and blame the loss of jobs on regulations almost totally on regulations. Dems wanted to bring jobs back. Now it’s all flip flops. 

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

I find it interesting how politics have seemed to change sides on trade since trump won.  These arguments were much different when Romney ran vs Obama. Republicans used to defend offshore outsourcing and blame the loss of jobs on regulations almost totally on regulations. Dems wanted to bring jobs back. Now it’s all flip flops. 

Wish flip flops were only spoken about in context of the beach. 

My problem with trump is his bloviating. That Carrier plant in Indiana is an example. He blew a ton of smoke. It’s now worse than expected before they were given tax breaks. 

I don’t believe anything he does or says is done in earnest for the people of this country. He is a self serving prick. He brags at how he can sell. I can’t get on board with such an ego. 

I don’t oppose the tariffs simply because trump imposed them. I want a neutral party to assess the impact, pros/ cons. But I don’t think he did it to help steelworkers. There is an advantage for his or hi family to be had. 

34 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

DOW down 700+ points today after China tariff announcements.

Trashing your 401k to own the libs. 

10 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Trashing your 401k to own the libs. 

Schumer actually praised this move today.  I still don't understand it all.  We're largely a services economy now.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

DOW down 700+ points today after China tariff announcements.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Schumer actually praised this move today.  I still don't understand it all.  We're largely a services economy now.

That’s a problem too. 

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

That’s a problem too. 

Been that way for a long time.....50 years or so...what's dropped has been agriculture....aging population spending lots of our GDP taking care of the old and infirm.  Check leading employers in most counties and it is schools and medical care.   But if you don't have something going on in a country that adds value to a good or service, all you are doing in churning dollars.  . Countries with strong manufacturing are still the most wealthy.  

Interesting that foreign companies can come to the US and be successful as manufacturers and US management can ' t figure out how to do that.....it is shameful in my view.  

Image result for manufacture gdp chart trend

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Been that way for a long time.....50 years or so...what's dropped has been agriculture....aging population spending lots of our GDP taking care of the old and infirm.  Check leading employers in most counties and it is schools and medical care.   But if you don't have something going on in a country that adds value to a good or service, all you are doing in churning dollars.  . Countries with strong manufacturing are still the most wealthy.  

Interesting that foreign companies can come to the US and be successful as manufacturers and US management can ' t figure out how to do that.....it is shameful in my view.  

Image result for manufacture gdp chart trend

Exactly! You must be productive. It’s called “Value Added”.  You can’t  sustain on a service based economy. I supported Bernie because of this. I can’t oppose it now because of Trump. Although I still hate the bastard and I don’t agree with HOW he does anything, I can’t be against tariffs.

I wish he had built a stipulation into the tax reductions that corporations that outsource aren’t eligible. 

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

Exactly! You must be productive. It’s called “Value Added”.  You can’t  sustain on a service based economy. I supported Bernie because of this. I can’t oppose it now because of Trump. Although I still hate the bastard and I don’t agree with HOW he does anything, I can’t be against tariffs.

I wish he had built a stipulation into the tax reductions that corporations that outsource aren’t eligible. 

Figured you were a Bernie guy. Wish you would've come to Cuba with me last summer. 

Archived