Fair Catch Kickoff rule proposal

WFE12

I ran across this article on the internet and apparently the Ivy League has already been experimenting with kickoffs from the 40, and it appeared to be a huge success. Not sure about the 2017 data though.

IVY LEAGUE EXPERIMENTAL KICKOFF RULE LEADS TO SIGNIFICANT DECREASE IN CONCUSSIONS

PRINCETON, N.J. -- An experimental kickoff rule, considered an important and proactive initiative towards enhancing student-athlete safety, has produced tangible results, including a significant drop in injuries and concussions throughout the 2016 season, the Ivy League announced today.

After averaging six concussions per year during the Ivy League conference slate the previous three seasons, athletes suffered zero concussions on kickoff plays in 2016.

The Ivy League is again using the experimental rule in 2017 and will review the data after the season.

“We were very pleased when we reviewed the data to find our experimental kickoff rule had the desired effect, which is more touchbacks and fewer returns, leading to the most important goal which is the safety and welfare of our incredible student-athletes.” said Executive Director Robin Harris.

The NCAA granted the League’s request to implement the experimental rule for the 2016 season, moving kickoffs up five yards from the 35-yard line to the 40. The goal of the rule was to limit kickoff returns, which accounted for 23.4 percent of concussions during games despite representing only 5.8 percent of overall plays.

2016 Non-Conference Ivy
Avg. Kickoffs / Game 10.5 9.2
Avg. Kickoffs into EZ / Game 2.7 5.6
Avg. Touchbacks / Game 2.4 4.5
Avg. Kickoffs fielded b/w GL-10yrd line 4.8 2.3
Avg. Onsides Kicks / Game 0.3 0.5

Ivy FCS FBS
Touchbacks 2016 44.1% 23.9% 38.9%
Kickoff Returns 2016 57.3% 71.3% 53.5%
Touchbacks 2015 12.4% 23.0% 39.0%
Kickoff Returns 2015 72.5% 72.0% 54.1%

Despite averaging fewer kickoffs per game than the rest of FCS, the Ivy League more than doubled the amount of kickoffs into the end zone with its experimental rule, and nearly doubled the average touchbacks per game. Kicking from the 40-yard line enabled Ivy League kickers to record touchbacks 44.1 percent of the time, well ahead of the rest of FCS. The number of kicks returned dropped 15.2 percent in 2016, below that of the FCS, which stayed essentially the same.

The Ivy League complemented the experimental rule with a policy that originated from the League’s eight head football coaches to eliminate to-the-ground ("live") tackling in practices during the regular season, which also went into effect with the 2016 campaign.

Both the kickoff rule and the tackling policy are part of The Ivy League’s overall review of concussions, which began with football in 2010. The Ivy League expanded the review to include eight other sports (men’s and women’s lacrosse, men’s and women’s ice hockey, men’s and women’s soccer, wrestling and rugby). As a result of this comprehensive review of concussions, the League began an all-sports concussion data collection and study in 2013.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this open the door to try to pooch it between the returners and the first line of blockers in front of the returners? Maybe hope for a wobbly bounce affecting the effectiveness of their blocking and/or with an outside chance of the ball bouncing around giving us a chance to recover it as an "extended on-side kick"? Or at the very least eliminate the opponent fair catching it and forcing them to execute an off-kilter kickoff return?

I guess this gives an opportunity for an extended bathroom break after scores I suppose lol

57 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Does this open the door to try to pooch it between the returners and the first line of blockers in front of the returners? Maybe hope for a wobbly bounce affecting the effectiveness of their blocking and/or with an outside chance of the ball bouncing around giving us a chance to recover it as an "extended on-side kick"? Or at the very least eliminate the opponent fair catching it and forcing them to execute an off-kilter kickoff return?

I guess this gives an opportunity for an extended bathroom break after scores I suppose lol

For me, I'd Squib kick each kick to the goal line

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

For me, I'd Squib kick each kick to the goal line

There we go! That was the "loophole" I was trying to find but somehow couldn't put my finger on it. 

Still feeling the after effects of a birthday weekend I may need another 24 hours to regain what little mental sharpness I have left ;D

Expect some coaches might play around with some different ideas on that...but receiving team can let it go to the end zone.....or with a misplaced kick, it get's recovered on the 40 instead.    

I'm not sure there is any point in trying to outsmart the rule except as a "one-off" during a game,  hoping to catch someone napping. 

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

There we go! That was the "loophole" I was trying to find but somehow couldn't put my finger on it. 

Still feeling the after effects of a birthday weekend I may need another 24 hours to regain what little mental sharpness I have left ;D

Happy belated!

ETA - and get well soon.

2 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Happy belated!

ETA - and get well soon.

Thank you! Recovery times seem to be much more challenging with each passing birthday lol!

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Thank you! Recovery times seem to be much more challenging with each passing birthday lol!

"The hangovers hurt more than they used to..." I've yet to find a cure, but the most helpful thing I know of is pho. Something about that broth is magical. I used to order a large to go the day/night before, eat the noodles and meat and such, and save the rest of the broth for the morning. 

Happy Belated!

16 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Hmm.  very doubtful, IMO and most rule changes (not all) start at the higher levels and filter down, so it's highly unlikely no kicking starts at the high school level.  It won't happen ever, imo.

Hope you’re right, but rule changes regarding  head injuries (specifically targeting) have already trickled into HS with those players being ejected w/o the benefit of replay. 

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"The hangovers hurt more than they used to..." I've yet to find a cure, but the most helpful thing I know of is pho. Something about that broth is magical. I used to order a large to go the day/night before, eat the noodles and meat and such, and save the rest of the broth for the morning. 

Happy Belated!

Thank you, good sir. That is the type of info I come to these boards for!

No but really, I will take this advice and try it out. Common colds, hangovers, male pattern baldness...things are looking up if we can scratch one of these off the list!

52 minutes ago, Tiger said:

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Happy Belated!

Actually, I've found that if you live through it/them long enough, you can eventually build up an immunity (or, at least, become accustomed?)

6 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Actually, I've found that if you live through it/them long enough, you can eventually build up an immunity (or, at least, become accustomed?)

I don't see how this is possible, given the amount of work that I've put into this project, but I reckon I'll keep sciencing on it.

12 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't see how this is possible, given the amount of work that I've put into this project, but I reckon I'll keep sciencing on it.

I am with you @McLoofus.  I have put in a ton of research over years and have yet to build up this immunity thing.  But I guess that gives me something to look forward to in my future endeavors.

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

20 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I am with you @McLoofus.  I have put in a ton of research over years and have yet to build up this immunity thing.  But I guess that gives me something to look forward to in my future endeavors.

Drifting OT,

Had a college bud that bought a '72 Duster w./ one of those newfangled "You ain't wearing a seat belt" buzzers. He hadn't asked for it, and was sufficiently (at least lower case) libertarian to resent a damn' car telling him how to behave. He ignored it 'til it died (took ~ 5 yrs, though it became increasingly whimper and sputtering for the last two). Hated to ride with him.

Persevere. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but it may be painful to look at 'til you get there.

Back to topic:

Football - Foot = ?

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Best Hangover cure = menudo

Like loof said, there is something in that broth.

I'm not man enough for menudo. Have tried it a few times and just can't power it down, no matter how much hot sauce I put in it. But a good bowl of pozole with pork is almost as curative. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not man enough for menudo. Have tried it a few times and just can't power it down, no matter how much hot sauce I put in it. But a good bowl of pozole with pork is almost as curative. 

Living in San Antonio during my formative years taught me a lot.

Haven’t had a hangover since a Christmas Party in 2016 and when my oldest daughter was already two. I needed two nights of rest to fully recover. I tried something called “blowfish” from CVS but it didn’t help my bubble gut. 

In college though,  I was Frank the Tank and never bad hangovers. I guess my metabolism and built up immunity were already at peak performance. By the time that I turned 21, alcohol had no effect on me other than get expensive. 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Try 6to 8 slices of greasy slab bacon pour grease into shot glass and chase with a tall glass of room temp. buttermilk:poke:

The only sure-fire cure for a hangover is not drinking the night before!lol

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

That's true but if you follow some of these  political discussions there is no way to avoid needing a drink (or two) to pull yourself together after browsing a couple screens of comments. 

19 minutes ago, toddc said:

Okay, I'm going to need you to take that one from the top again, and please go a little more slowly this time. I'm just not getting it.

Image result for confused gif

3 hours ago, doug3020 said:

Hope you’re right, but rule changes regarding  head injuries (specifically targeting) have already trickled into HS with those players being ejected w/o the benefit of replay. 

Have already?  Again, with most rules they follow what the higher levels do.  It was in college rule book for several years before it got to the federation level.   The last part of your statement isn't true.  The targeting rule is in the high school game (as of a few years ago), but its never been an ejection at the federation level.  

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Best Hangover cure = menudo

d4e61ceb1f158e2e6deaa352be643351--hangov

Like loof said, there is something in that broth.

???

All we ever got was dog hair*,

and we were thankful for it!

*My Bloody Marys are still held in high regard

in many circles (yea, unto the nexteth generation),

ETA - Googled menudo - sounds offal

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Killjoy

Archived