SEC Tournament

AUDub

I hope we get Bama not atm. We just don't have the size to match up with their 2 outstanding bigs. The only way we beat them is to be on fire outside the 3 point line (12 to 13 3's made by us.) Bama does not play well enough as a team to beat us, unless we are just ice cold shooting the ball.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Most wide-open SEC tournament I can remember seeing.  But I'm with others here who just want to get out of the weekend injury free. I'm honestly not opposed to losing on Friday just so we can get more rest.  The only thing I think we may be playing for is weekend one location.  Whichever team finishes better in the tourney between us and UT will likely be sent to Nashville.

We differ. I don't think we have the depth to make a run to the final four in the NCAA anyway. In light of recent events, I'd rather have AU win the SEC tournament, thus telling the rest of the conference coaches, fans and media to stick it where the sun don't shine.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

We differ. I don't think we have the depth to make a run to the final four in the NCAA anyway. In light of recent events, I'd rather have AU win the SEC tournament, thus telling the rest of the conference coaches, fans and media to stick it where the sun don't shine.

See, I actually think we're better suited for a run in the big dance than we are in the SEC.  SEC Tourney requires us to play three straight days, which is where depth really comes in.  Plus, all of these teams have seen us this year, which puts our style at a disadvantage.

Teams get a day off between games in the NCAA's and only play on weekends, so even more rest between games there.  Also, good/great guard play almost always wins in the NCAA tourney, which is something we have.  Remember 2014?  Shabazz Napier basically won the title for UCONN by himself, despite being a 7 seed.

Anyone know why the top seed plays at 1 EST and the 2nd seed gets to play at night? I feel like the #1 should be rewarded with the evening tip-off

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Anyone know why the top seed plays at 1 EST and the 2nd seed gets to play at night? I feel like the #1 should be rewarded with the evening tip-off

Longer rest?

58 minutes ago, Weagle98 said:

Longer rest?

I'm not sure how the following rounds would be but are we actually rewarded with longer rest with how things stand now?

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I'm not sure how the following rounds would be but are we actually rewarded with longer rest with how things stand now?

Yeah, we will have about 2 1/2 hrs more rest than our opponent in the semis (When we win in the Quarters). At this point we need all the rest we can get.  Then we get 2 1/2 more hrs of rest than our opponent in the finals (When we win the semis).  Dunno

Going in, I thought there were only 2 scenarios I wanted to avoid in this tournament: losing the first game to Bama (if they get there) and losing in the championship game. The first is probably LBS, but I don't care. The second would suck because we likely wouldn't be as rested for the NCAAT, would possibly lose our two seed with the loss, and would lose the tourney championship. Any other scenario I'd have been fine with happening.

I figured an early exit was likely, either a first-game or semifinal loss. Just a little bit of mental and emotional fatigue catching up with us. Now with the news of the SEC coaches slighting one of the key cogs of this team and the belief that their coach also got screwed, I think this team will be on a mission. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see us win this tournament carrying another massive chip on our shoulders. It seemed that the "4-14" motivation might've run its course towards the end of the season, and we just didn't quite have that same fire that pushed us for much of the conference season. Don't think there will be a problem finding motivation for the SECT. And I'd love for us to shove it to Tennessee in the championship game to prove a point.

On 3/6/2018 at 10:08 AM, jared52 said:

I will say this, if AU finds a way to beat aTm or uat on Friday, I like their chances to play Sunday against UT. Will have to see how both are playing at that point to get a feeling on a winner, but I think UT is just too good and AU is reeling a but without Anfernee. With no Wiley and Purifoy on the bench leading the cheers, I think it somewhat diminishes the energy as well. I really think these guys sticking around in school and on the bench during this whole situation has been a visual reminder to the rest of the team that they are all still together. When they are missing from the bench away from home, that reduces the energy even more.

I'm like most it seems and have somewhat low expectation for the SEC tournament, but I don't want to see the guys play without a sense of urgency. How they play will matter for the NCAAs. Making the sweet sixteen needs to be the target for AU to solidify their place in CBB for the next year.

Can Wiley and Purifoy not go with them?

19 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Can Wiley and Purifoy not go with them?

I don’t think they can since they are ineligible.  They haven’t been on the bench for away games from what I remember. I could be completely wrong though. 

Seems like if that was the rule they would not have been allowed on the bench at home as well.

Would be great to see them in StL!

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Going in, I thought there were only 2 scenarios I wanted to avoid in this tournament: losing the first game to Bama (if they get there) and losing in the championship game. The first is probably LBS, but I don't care. The second would suck because we likely wouldn't be as rested for the NCAAT, would possibly lose our two seed with the loss, and would lose the tourney championship. Any other scenario I'd have been fine with happening.

I figured an early exit was likely, either a first-game or semifinal loss. Just a little bit of mental and emotional fatigue catching up with us. Now with the news of the SEC coaches slighting one of the key cogs of this team and the belief that their coach also got screwed, I think this team will be on a mission. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see us win this tournament carrying another massive chip on our shoulders. It seemed that the "4-14" motivation might've run its course towards the end of the season, and we just didn't quite have that same fire that pushed us for much of the conference season. Don't think there will be a problem finding motivation for the SECT. And I'd love for us to shove it to Tennessee in the championship game to prove a point.

No such thing as LBS against bama in basketball.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

No such thing as LBS against bama in basketball.

What is an LBS?

Wow....Georgia is slamming Vandy..41-19 near the half...

On 3/6/2018 at 6:36 PM, auburn4ever said:

Why even play in the SEC tournament? we won't get any credit for winning the conference.

Who are you? I want to meet you.

10 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Who are you? I want to meet you.

When you got through you wouldn't know if you were coming or going.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

What is an LBS?

Little Brother Syndrome.

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Little Brother Syndrome.

Gotcha. Is this a new acronym?

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Seems like if that was the rule they would not have been allowed on the bench at home as well.

Would be great to see them in StL!

It doesn’t cost AU money for them to travel to a home game. 

Hope y'all saw the story on Frank Marin between games....amazing recovery from some undiagnosed illness that appeared to be killing him. 

Also.....Andy Kennedy?   who knew.....doing a great job as color support for the crew.  

Archived