Tennesssee adds Grad Transfer QB

GwillMac6

Has me a little more worried about our game with them next season. I was not sweating it at all before with the Qbs they had coming back. None of those scared me a bit. This at least gives them a pulse at QB. Something they did not have before. He is solid.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Has me a little more worried about our game with them next season. I was not sweating it at all before with the Qbs they had coming back. None of those scared me a bit. This at least gives them a pulse at QB. Something they did not have before. He is solid.

Their O-line will not hold up vs our D-line. And we are 6-0 vs them this century. This is how bad things have been for UT. In the last 11 seasons, they are 1-21 vs UF and UAT. Good guys win this one big in Jordan-Hare!

UT always concerns me. Their recruiting over the last several years has been much better than their record. Their new coaching staff may be a fix, it may not but in the raw material department, they are well ahead of, say, Ol' Miss, Arky and Moo-State.

Besides, it's a rivalry for me. I went to the AU/UT games for over 20 consecutive years with a "mixed company" group of 10 to 15 people. I miss the annual games with UT and UF, they always got my juices flowing.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

UT always concerns me. Their recruiting over the last several years has been much better than their record. Their new coaching staff may be a fix, it may not but in the raw material department, they are well ahead of, say, Ol' Miss, Arky and Moo-State.

Besides, it's a rivalry for me. I went to the AU/UT games for over 20 consecutive years with a "mixed company" group of 10 to 15 people. I miss the annual games with UT and UF, they always got my juices flowing.

Here's something you & I definitely agree on.

I SO miss the UT rivalry (UF to a lesser extent).

Plus my wife's family are in/from Knoxville.  HUGE family... They might take up a 10th of Neyland Stadium on some gamedays. ...I exaggerate (a little).

I know some disagree but I have always considered it a true "friendly" rivalry.  Always seemed respectful between the fans to my observation.

8 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Their O-line will not hold up vs our D-line. And we are 6-0 vs them this century. This is how bad things have been for UT. In the last 11 seasons, they are 1-21 vs UF and UAT. Good guys win this one big in Jordan-Hare!

They have a losing streak to every SEC team.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

They have a losing streak to every SEC team.

I understand, but it is really bad vs some. AU nation would implode and rightfully so if we ever went 1-21 vs our top 2 rivals. 

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I understand, but it is really bad vs some. AU nation would implode and rightfully so if we ever went 1-21 vs our top 2 rivals. 

It is amazing the laundry list of things that have gone perfectly wrong for them. There has obviously been something wrong with their administration. I think Pruitt can potentially get them back, but hopefully not at our expense. It's just amazing how terrible the east has been the last four seasons.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

I miss those annual games too.  AU vs UT was always the first SEC game for both teams.  It defined the type of season each team would have.  The winner usually had a good year and the loser would end up with a not so good year.

10 hours ago, saminbama said:

I miss those annual games too.  AU vs UT was always the first SEC game for both teams.  It defined the type of season each team would have.  The winner usually had a good year and the loser would end up with a not so good year.

Yep...my first game as an API student...on the spur of the moment, I took a "road trip" with a couple other frosh to the 1959 game in Knoxville.    Rode up there with a friend in his 1949 or 1950 Plymouth that used more oil per mile than gasoline.  We roamed around the campus Friday evening and then stayed in the YMCA Friday night for something like $2 bucks maybe...slept on metal frame  beds in what looked like a barracks.

Had forgotten the score so looked it up....3-0 for Tennessee....that was definitely a forgettable game.   As noted....prelude to a season with great defense and poor offense.  BUT.....the trip was crazy and not forgettable.  

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep...my first game as an API student...on the spur of the moment, I took a "road trip" with a couple other frosh to the 1959 game in Knoxville.    Rode up there with a friend in his 1949 or 1950 Plymouth that used more oil per mile than gasoline.  We roamed around the campus Friday evening and then stayed in the YMCA Friday night for something like $2 bucks maybe...slept on metal frame  beds in what looked like a barracks.

Had forgotten the score so looked it up....3-0 for Tennessee....that was definitely a forgettable game.   As noted....prelude to a season with great defense and poor offense.  BUT.....the trip was crazy and not forgettable.  

I can relate AU64, my first experience on the road was in 1957 to Shields Watkins Field as it was known then. It was our first game on the 1957 schedule and we won 7-0 in a absolute offensive frenzy. I went to the game with a high school buddy from Nashville. We both went to high school at this military school in Lebanon TN for problem children. We both certainly qualified. Back then Knoxville was dry as a bone  and we had to go see the local bootlegger if we wanted anything with alcohol in it. It was a great experience and little did I know that that game put us on the way to our first national championship. Thanks for  the memory 64.

WDE

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

oh the memories

On 3/4/2018 at 8:00 AM, Mikey said:

Yep and most of us have seen 2 immediate turnarounds by a brand new coaching staff and a 2nd year turnaround by a third coach in the past 25 years. Strange things can happen. I miss the UT game too. We always knew what kind of team we had in September after we played them. 

On 3/4/2018 at 9:00 AM, Mikey said:

On 3/5/2018 at 8:07 PM, gr82be said:

Yep and most of us have seen 2 immediate turnarounds by a brand new coaching staff and a 2nd year turnaround by a third coach in the past 25 years. Strange things can happen. I miss the UT game too. We always knew what kind of team we had in September after we played them. 

I'm with you guys. A new coach and a stocked cupboard is a dangerous combination. Newly energized, talented dudes playing with nothing to lose... throw a QB in the mix... That might not be THE blueprint, but it's one of them. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm with you guys. A new coach and a stocked cupboard is a dangerous combination. Newly energized, talented dudes playing with nothing to lose... throw a QB in the mix... That might not be THE blueprint, but it's one of them. 

Terry Bowden and Gus Malzahn both say "Hi".  :wavey:

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Terry Bowden and Gus Malzahn both say "Hi".  :wavey:

Yup! And Chizik, to a lesser degree. Actually, he's like an accelerated/abbreviated version of the whole cycle. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yup! And Chizik, to a lesser degree. Actually, he's like an accelerated/abbreviated version of the whole cycle. 

True'nuff.  I was just keeping it in the "right out of the gate" category.

Chiz just needed that 1 super-recruit for year 2.

Honestly, I don't know enough about Pruitt but I "feel" more like if he's going to succeed, it'll be like TB and fizzle as time goes by.  But, that's just me.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

True'nuff.  I was just keeping it in the "right out of the gate" category.

Chiz just needed that 1 super-recruit for year 2.

Honestly, I don't know enough about Pruitt but I "feel" more like if he's going to succeed, it'll be like TB and fizzle as time goes by.  But, that's just me.

I think he is a better actual coach than kirby. Seeing as he had a lot of success as a DC away from Saban and kirby never did. He just is at the much harder job. 

21 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm hanging my hat on growing pains for the coaching staff, since so few of them have significant experience in the position they now hold.  Their head coach, OC, DC, Tight Ends, and Outside Linebackers coaches are all new, or nearly new to those positions. While the Outside Linebackers coach should transition pretty easily from being a lifelong DL coach, and their OC (2 years at Western Kentucky) and DC (1 year at South Alabama) had limited experience at MUCH smaller schools, I'd still expect at least some learning curve across the board.

Now... if Chryst was a Cam Newton or a Nick Marshall running a scheme that was virtually made for him, either of whom can single-handedly make up for coaching issues, I'd put them on title watch. But his 53% completion ratio as a back-up doesn't make him seem like a game changer.

Archived