Dinson ready to be 'point guy' at safety

aubiefifty

Jeremiah Dinson ready to be 'point guy' at safety for Auburn

Updated Mar 3, 1:43 PM; Posted Mar 3, 1:45 PM

Auburn defensive back Jeremiah Dinson (20) celebrates a fumble recovery over Clemson Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017, during the first half at Clemson Memorial Stadium in Clemson, S.C. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)

0 shares

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

Sometime between Auburn's loss to UCF in the Peach Bowl and the start of spring practices this week, Jeremiah Dinson made sure to find some time to talk with Tray Matthews and Stephen Roberts -- Auburn's two starting safeties the last couple of seasons.

Dinson knew that with both of them graduating and moving on to the NFL, he would have to step up. After starting at nickel for the majority of last season, Dinson has moved to safety this spring to help fil the void left by Roberts' and Matthews' departure and take over that mantle on the back end of the Tigers' defense.

"It's been strange," Dinson said. "It's crazy but it's all about the process. You grow up, people leave and then you have to replace them. Those are two good, excellent players and I just have to be the next one, the vocal leader to step up in the back room."

That aspect of the position is certainly new to Dinson, who hasn't been accustomed to being vocal in the secondary. While playing nickel last season, he had to communicate with the rest of the defense, but it was usually relaying signs.

"Once those guys left I talked to them and both of them said: You next up," Dinson said. "'You've got to be the leader. You've got to be that vocal leader.' I'm taking that in practice every day starting now so in the fall it's just second nature to me."

Dinson excelling in versatile role in Auburn secondary

Dinson has played well in an expanded role in his return from multiple knee and shoulder injuries.

There's something else that needs to come second nature for the redshirt junior defensive back--technique. While playing nickel, Dinson was used to turning and running with receivers. At safety, he's working on backpedaling more.

One thing that he believes will help in that regard is the Tigers' addition of a second defensive backs coach in Marcus Woodson. While Woodson will work with the cornerbacks, Greg Brown will focus on the safeties. With an additional coach in the secondary, where Auburn typically fields five defensive backs on a given down, that means more one-on-one time for the safeties with Brown to get everything down pat.

"That's the biggest difference right now: We back pedal so much in the middle of the field," Dinson said. "I used to play a little bit of safety back in high school but it's been a long time. I'd say back pedaling."

Dinson, who finished last season with 47 total tackles and four pass breakups, said he has also put on about 15 pounds since last season. He's up to 200 pounds now, thanks to a new workout regimen with strength and conditioning coach Ryan Russell paired with some extra protein shakes here and there.

He hopes to keep that weight between 195-200 for the season, but believes adding that on will help him play the position more effectively come fall.

Dinson finds forgiveness, perspective during recovery

Jeremiah Dinson still hasn't heard from former Texas A&M receiver Ricky Seals-Jones, whose blindside hit in 2015 nearly ended Dinson's career.

The other aspect he is focusing on is the chemistry between him and fellow safety Daniel Thomas. That's something that will further develop with time, and a big reason by Matthews and Roberts were so effective on the back end of the defense last season.

So far, however, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn believes Dinson is in a good spot and will transition well to the role of "point guy" on defense.

"Every really good secondary that I've ever seen always had point guy back there that could make sure and make the calls," Malzahn said. "Especially nowadays with all the offenses with the motions and different formations, unbalanced formations, it really is critical that you have somebody on the backend that can get everybody on the same page. We believe Dinson can definitely do that."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Made great comments about Smoke and Tutt. Would be very happy to see Dinson excel at that safety spot. 

Archived