2019 4* RB John Emery Jr.

WFE12

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louisiana’s top RB John Emery calls Auburn ‘top contender’ after first visit

Benjamin Wolk

AUBURN, Ala. — John Emery admits he wasn’t an Auburn guru before he took a visit.

The 4-star running back from Destrehan, La., made his first trip to the Plains this weekend, arriving on Friday with his family and leaving Sunday. Emery wasn’t laden with Auburn-related knowledge prior to the trip. He didn’t know much about the school history, or even the Iron Bowl rivalry.

But he came to learn — and that’s exactly what he did.

Emery immersed himself in the campus and program culture. He’s in the evaluation stage of his recruiting process.

What did he find? Auburn is a “top contender,” he said.

RELATED: Notes, updates from Auburn’s second spring junior day 

“Really, before I came here, I didn’t have that much interest. I wasn’t high on them. But Auburn, right there around the corner, a five-hour drive, I came to check it out. I loved the environment. The atmosphere, everyone is just happy. I could see myself playing here, most definitely,” Emery said. “I loved it, man. I didn’t expect this. They’re a top contender, I would say that, most definitely. After this visit, it felt like home.”

Emery, the No. 7 running back nationally, hasn’t taken many visits this spring so far, even to home-state LSU, who many believe is the favorite to land him. He has taken a junior day visit to Oklahoma already. Oklahoma and Auburn fit similar molds as traditional programs with strong running back history and not too far from home. Emery said on two separate occasions that Auburn is “right around the corner,” so the 5-hour drive didn’t deter him.

The fact Emery opted to come up for an Auburn junior day weekend speaks to the initial intrigue in the Tigers despite not knowing much about them.

He left with much more knowledge and much more interest.

“I feel special. I feel special here, man. No doubt I could see myself playing here,” Emery said. “Absolutely [I’ll be back soon]. It’s right around the corner. Spring, fall, all that. I’ll be checking them out.”

One source close to the situation named Emery and Noah Cain as Auburn’s top-2  running back targets in 2019, and Auburn will work to sign at least one. Of course, Emery and Cain are also the top-two targets for places such as LSU and Georgia, and potentially others, so it’ll be a competitive battle for both.

Auburn is using a combination of Kodi Burns, Larry Porter, Tim Horton and Chip Lindsey to recruit Emery.

Horton, the running backs coach and new recruiting coordinator, spent a lot of time with Emery on Friday and Saturday. The message from Horton to Emery is clear.

“Tim, he’s a forward guy. He told me about the offense they run, that they get their backs to the league. That’s one thing that I love. They’ve got a lot of the top rushers in the SEC. That’s major right there. The spread, I’m used to running that. He asked if I’ve been running that all my life,” Emery said. “I could see myself here. It’s all about fit. That’s what he told me.”

Emery doesn’t have any leaders at this time, but he holds offers from Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Tennessee and Southern Cal, among others. He doesn’t have specific visits planned in the near future, though he’s considering a few. Emery wants to use those visits to narrow down on a top 5, which he expects Auburn to crack.

“I would give by the start of the summer,” he said.

From then on, it’ll be a chase by Emery’s top 5 for one of the best running backs in the nation.

I like the way he gets to and through the hole quickly. I also like that he doesn't get caught from behind.  

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

He and Cain are 1a & 1b for RB targets. I don’t know who I like more

Either one would greatly ease the sting of missing on Teague. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I felt like the Teague thing really sucked, but the staff knew that 2019 would be huge for us and knew they could get a stud. Asa Martin was a nice consolation prize as well! 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Not for me. Teague,. IMO, would've won the Heisman if he played in our system

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

I felt like the Teague thing really sucked, but the staff knew that 2019 would be huge for us and knew they could get a stud. Asa Martin was a nice consolation prize as well! 

Absolutely. Love Worm, too. I always feel bad complaining about missing on Teague, because it sounds like I'm complaining about the guys that we *did* get. Which isn't true. I just wish we could have gotten him, too. I want all the RBs. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Not for me. Teague,. IMO, would've won the Heisman if he played in our system

Well, technically, I didn't say it would make the sting totally go away... :beer2:

How's his pass blocking? Just kidding. I like his acceleration. Also, looks like he can catch out of the backfield. He can play to the outside, but also run between the tackles. Would be a good get.

• 4 weeks later...

https://sec.news/2uxCzH3 

Emory calls Auburn RBU in his latest interview regarding his list of final eight! How about that perception by a top ten rb?

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

Emory calls Auburn RBU in his latest interview regarding his list of final eight! How about that perception by a top ten rb?

Nice! Coaches doing a good job with that sales thing.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Nice! Coaches doing a good job with that sales thing.

Added link just now! Sorry I forgot first time.

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

I might have to go check out his highlight tape now. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I might have to go check out his highlight tape now. 

It's nice.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's nice.

It is nice indeed. I hate looking at film until I know the recruit is definitely interested. Otherwise it makes me feel like I’m window shopping.

Emery sets up his blocks well. I liked it when his arm was on his offensive lineman trying to guide a block. He’s a natural at RB.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

"My plan going into college is starting,” Emery explained. “I don’t want to be a No. 2. I want to be No. 1. I also have to think about the long-term and making it to the league. I don’t want my body beat up, so that’s something I need to look at.

I feel like I should be that No. 1 like Leonard Fournette [at LSU] and the amount of carries he got each game. I don’t want to be Derrius Guice when Fournette was playing. I plan on starting and that’s the goal I have set up. I plan on starting when I go to college and doing big things. I don’t plan on being No. 2 or being a part of a duo. However, I’ll play my part, but my goal is eventually to be No. 1 for sure.”

These quotes in particular don't seem to bode well for us :-\

But then this quote is also interesting that I saw in a different article 

They’re a great program and how they know how to utilize their running backs,” Emery said. “They gave me the real. If the running backs want to run the rock 30 times a game, they let them. They don’t intend on doing that. They look at less carries because of the future and that’s what I like.”

Link

45 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

"My plan going into college is starting,” Emery explained. “I don’t want to be a No. 2. I want to be No. 1. I also have to think about the long-term and making it to the league. I don’t want my body beat up, so that’s something I need to look at.

I feel like I should be that No. 1 like Leonard Fournette [at LSU] and the amount of carries he got each game. I don’t want to be Derrius Guice when Fournette was playing. I plan on starting and that’s the goal I have set up. I plan on starting when I go to college and doing big things. I don’t plan on being No. 2 or being a part of a duo. However, I’ll play my part, but my goal is eventually to be No. 1 for sure.”

They don't seem to bode well for him playing for any SEC team. He wants to be number 1, not number 2, and he wants to not have too many carries so he doesn't wear himself out for the NFL, but he doesn't want to be part of a running back duo either. So... looks like he's Big 12 bound. Welcome to the air raid Mr. Emery. 

59 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Could be taken literally or it could just be a cocky kid playing up the "I believe in myself" schtick. Also, almost any future RB1 feels this way, whether or not they say it. 

Give me the cocky, competitive kids. Every time. 

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

They don't seem to bode well for him playing for any SEC team. He wants to be number 1, not number 2, and he wants to not have too many carries so he doesn't wear himself out for the NFL, but he doesn't want to be part of a running back duo either. So... looks like he's Big 12 bound. Welcome to the air raid Mr. Emery. 

Yeah and the mention about not wanting to be apart of a duo....But UGA is in his top 8? UGA had a friggin trio last year.

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

What an eye roll of a quote. If he wants to be the BMOC, come to Auburn and run like a demon possessed RB and be adored by 87,000 fans . If you want a Kenyan Drake, 8 carries a game role, come to Auburn and we will be sure to protect your mileage while you’re on the bench while we are rolling no huddle. If you want to be both then I have beach front property in Kansas to sell you..:

Archived