Null



Sign in to follow this  
aubiefifty

Whitlow like a Pettway and Kerryon mix

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Looked at the stats...both teams ran about 60 plays total ......and Chubb was leading carrier with 13 and KJ had the same number.....did not look like anyone got worn down or overworked....both defenses were good.   For the season Chubb had quite a few more carries than Michel. 

But....if we have two backs of equal capability then splitting the time is fine but no way that Martin was near KJ running or blocking last year.  JMO.  

KJ only had 13 carries because he was hurt. Our next RB had 4 carries. uga had 2 RBs with 7 and a 3rd with 5. uga also had 10 more carries than we did, while their quarterback only had 3 to Stidham's 9. 

And Michel had 156 carries last season for uga. That's more than Pettway and KMart combined. Their 3rd guy- a freshman- had more carries than any RB on our team other than KJ. That's more than Miller and Barrett combined. 

And guys like you and @Mikey want to call people names for offering reasoned, rational critiques of the head coach. Okayyyyy.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




29 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I detect sarcasm.

 

22 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

you think?

 

21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

yeah. I, too, detect the sarcasm.

 

Your detectors are functioning properly. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Looked at the stats...both teams ran about 60 plays total ......and Chubb was leading carrier with 13 and KJ had the same number.....did not look like anyone got worn down or overworked....both defenses were good.   For the season Chubb had quite a few more carries than Michel. 

But....if we have two backs of equal capability then splitting the time is fine but no way that Martin was near KJ running or blocking last year.  JMO.  

There should have been at least 2 more backs ready to step in and you can't convince me that either at 80-100% weren't better options than KJ at less than 60% (if that).

KJ shouldn't have even been dressed for that game.  He was a liability.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

 

 

 

Your detectors are functioning properly. 

Say no more,

say no more.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

There should have been at least 2 more backs ready to step in and you can't convince me that either at 80-100% weren't better options than KJ at less than 60% (if that).

KJ shouldn't have even been dressed for that game.  He was a liability.

That's the whole thing. If we are going to be a run-first team, then we can't be dead in the water when a guy gets hurt. 

To be fair to Gus, I think Alaric Williams not qualifying ended up being a big deal. Whitlow couldn't go. Pettway couldn't go. We had legit roster issues. Gus isn't an idiot. But we knew these things as far back as September, and between Martin, Miller and Barrett, we seriously couldn't scrape up more than 6 carries in the SECCG? I just don't buy it. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Say no more,

say no more.

If only you all were so lucky; alas, my trap runneth over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want Whitlow to work out. I also would like to see us do a true 1a/1b like some are asking for here. Hopefully the rotation some have heard about in spring isn’t just our new backs learning the swing pass for their designed play they get once a game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's the whole thing. If we are going to be a run-first team, then we can't be dead in the water when a guy gets hurt. 

To be fair to Gus, I think Alaric Williams not qualifying ended up being a big deal. Whitlow couldn't go. Pettway couldn't go. We had legit roster issues. Gus isn't an idiot. But we knew these things as far back as September, and between Martin, Miller and Barrett, we seriously couldn't scrape up more than 6 carries in the SECCG? I just don't buy it. 

Yes, there's two points to my...er....point.

Point 1 being, evidently RB recruiting has been subpar vs what we all expected if those 3 guys (M, M & DB )were not capable by the end of the season.

Point 2, piggybacking off of @bigbird's post earlier, pointing out that the run game didn't exactly suffer with KMart running the ball at 6.7 ypc.

I understand that he and Barrett might be blocking liabilities in pass protection but that's where the creative juices should start flowing and get them out on patterns and keep Cox in to block, etc.

Anyway, there were clearly better (and viable) options than a broken down KJ in that game.

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yes, there's two points to my...er....point.

Point 1 being, evidently RB recruiting has been subpar vs what we all expected if those 3 guys (M, M & DB )were not capable by the end of the season.

Point 2, piggybacking off of @bigbird's post earlier, pointing out that the run game didn't exactly suffer with KMart running the ball at 6.7 ypc.

I understand that he and Barrett might be blocking liabilities in pass protection but that's where the creative juices should start flowing and get them out on patterns and keep Cox in to block, etc.

Anyway, there were clearly better (and viable) options than a broken down KJ in that game.

!!!!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think so too.  I think the way UGA wore us down and beat us down made Gus kind of reevaluate things...well, I hope so.

Actual learnin’? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I think its a good thing. 

Why?

wde 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think so too.  I think the way UGA wore us down and beat us down made Gus kind of reevaluate things...well, I hope so.

I just literally spit the anti-cancer kale based smoothie out of my mouth if you truly believe what you just posted even with  " well, I hope so".  Just damn, you must be carrying water for War Tiger. I hope you are getting paid for this.

 wde

  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Not Loof but as much as anything it's a wear & tear issue more than a numbers issue.  KJ was never a tremendously durable back while at Auburn and spreading the work load simply makes sense.

I think Mason's freakishly amazing durablility spoiled Gus.  Even the relatively huge Pettway wasn't the most durable.

It just makes sense that if you have capable bodies, play them.  If only to save your top guy's body.  It's a long, grueling season.... especially against SEC defenses.

Yes, play them if they are ready for SEC play, blitz pickups, understanding the whole playbook, formations etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Yes, play them if they are ready for SEC play, blitz pickups, understanding the whole playbook, formations etc...

Absolutely.

And if 3 out of AU's 5 running backs are not able to do those things well enough to spell KJ or make an emergency start after a full season then either recruiting or coaching failed.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Absolutely.

And if 3 out of AU's 5 running backs are not able to do those things well enough to spell KJ or make an emergency start after a full season then either recruiting or coaching failed.

Understand; but it does take some longer than others to catch on. I know we’re talking about the RB position here, but just look most recently at JJ and others from the QB position. All the talent in the world, but the light never came on.

Look at the five-star QBs the turds had that just never caught on. Regardless of recruiting and coaching, it doesn’t automatically happen and sometimes it takes till their junior or senior year to happen, if at all.

Then some of them get frustrated due to lack of playing time or getting passed over on the depth chart their sophomore or junior year and they want to transfer. Things aren’t always as they appear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Understand; but it does take some longer than others to catch on. I know we’re talking about the RB position here, but just look most recently at JJ and others from the QB position. All the talent in the world, but the light never came on.

Look at the five-star QBs the turds had that just never caught on. Regardless of recruiting and coaching, it doesn’t automatically happen and sometimes it takes till their junior or senior year to happen, if at all.

Then some of them get frustrated due to lack of playing time or getting passed over on the depth chart their sophomore or junior year and they want to transfer. Things aren’t always as they appear.

Not disagreeing with you at all.

I just think that, especially for the RB position which arguably is the most physically punishing position in all athletics (save Rugby or Ausie Rules Football players), a top notch SEC team known as RBU should be much better prepared than to have only 2 questionably durable players ready to go.  

Then, if one is hurt/doghouse (whatever KP truly was) you don't find yourself in the position AU was in late in the year.

For all the ink these guys (M, M & DB ) got coming in it just seems like a waste and frankly, surprising.

To circle back to the OP,  I hope whoever the work horse ends up being (and I like what I've seen of Whitlow) I hope the 2-3 or 4 backs get meaningful reps, at least in the "sisters of the poor" games this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I just think that, especially for the RB position which arguably is the most physically punishing position in all athletics (save Rugby or Ausie Rules Football players), a top notch SEC team known as RBU should be much better prepared than to have only 2 questionably durable players ready to go

Gus is being lazy. He could very well train up the other backs, just gets comfortable and would rather not deal with it. The offensive wizard has been retired.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Gus is being lazy. He could very well train up the other backs, just gets comfortable and would rather not deal with it. The offensive wizard has been retired.

Though I will give Gus more credit than to call him "lazy", I won't disagree with you on the *too* "comfortable" part.  IMO that's one of his biggest problems.

Each of the last 3 years I keep hoping he'll break that trend and rekindle the creativity, or let go entirely and let CCL do his job, but I'm not holding my breath (this year).  We'll see...

Either way, AU is stuck with him for the foreseeable future so I'm trying to make lemonade out of the situation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whitlow sounds like the second coming of Bo Jackson...I can't wait for him to break all of our rushing records.  I'm expecting it.  And what's even more exciting is that the other guys are apparently just as special.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Whitlow sounds like the second coming of Bo Jackson...I can't wait for him to break all of our rushing records.  I'm expecting it.  And what's even more exciting is that the other guys are apparently just as special.

Bo, Caddy, Tre... they're all very lucky they didn't have to compete against this backfield TBQH. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 5, 2018 at 7:53 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

We have had 11 players rush for 1000 yards since Gus joined us in 2009. 

A real RB by committee isn't going to happen, not for a whole season. 

It will most likely be a by committee approach for the first 3 or 4 games until Gus finds his next workhorse... that is if the past is any indication. 

I agree. And there in lies the problem. Gus runs them into the ground until they are no longer effective. We have not had a true durable back since tre mason in 13. Running a few of them out there  is okay. But Gus tends to run them into the ground without giving carries. to other change of pace and fresh backs. Kam  Martin will not survive the season carrying 15 or more a game. He is way too small to run between the tackles. A new strategy is needed.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Though I will give Gus more credit than to call him "lazy", I won't disagree with you on the *too* "comfortable" part.  IMO that's one of his biggest problems.

Each of the last 3 years I keep hoping he'll break that trend and rekindle the creativity, or let go entirely and let CCL do his job, but I'm not holding my breath (this year).  We'll see...

Either way, AU is stuck with him for the foreseeable future so I'm trying to make lemonade out of the situation.

I hope I'm wrong but in my opinion the only way Gus changes his workhorse running back mentality is if the NCAA makes a rule that limits the number of carries a player can have based on some injury study or something like that. Gus is Gus and to get the good we have to take the bad along with it. He doesn't realize that sometimes less is more in this situation. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gr82be said:

I hope I'm wrong but in my opinion the only way Gus changes his workhorse running back mentality is if the NCAA makes a rule that limits the number of carries a player can have based on some injury study or something like that. Gus is Gus and to get the good we have to take the bad along with it. He doesn't realize that sometimes less is more in this situation. 

At this time.... ....I cannot disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

notbuyingit.gif

He will have to make me a believer but I'm just not buying into the preseason hype.

I've been hurt too many times before. :dead::beer2:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this