Whitlow like a Pettway and Kerryon mix

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Asa = Caddilac

Whitlow = Brown

Would love to see this scenario come true. Kmart is just not an every down back for us. I like him in the change of pace roll.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Onterio McCalebb a good pass protector? He got tons of snaps and carries with Gus calling the O

Not a pointed question, I honestly don't remember O-Mac's pass protection

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Was Onterio McCalebb a good pass protector? He got tons of snaps and carries with Gus calling the O

Not a pointed question, I honestly don't remember O-Mac's pass protection

I can't really remember the pass protection part, but he got way more use as a situation back then Kam.  Thats even playing behind Ben Tate his freshmen year and then Dyer his sophomore year.  McCalebb had 22 carries for 150 yards his 1st game as a freshman and then 16 carries against Miss St.

6 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I can't really remember the pass protection part, but he got way more use as a situation back then Kam.  Thats even playing behind Ben Tate his freshmen year and then Dyer his sophomore year.  McCalebb had 22 carries for 150 yards his 1st game as a freshman and then 16 carries against Miss St.

And O-Mac got carries within the game even when he wasn't RB1 in those days. Unlike KMart who ~85% of his attempts and yards came after the game was decided and we were just chewing clock.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

And O-Mac got carries within the game even when he wasn't RB1 in those days. Unlike KMart who ~85% of his attempts and yards came after the game was decided and we were just chewing clock.

Definitely interesting comparing the 2.  I would guess he got more use because of the offense we ran with Cam vs JS.  Also the fact that Cam could shove a DL off of him no problem verse holding your breath when JS gets sacked.

OMac had 95 carries in 2010. He was 3rd in total carries behind Cam (264, although rushing stats for QBs in college are figured... well, incorrectly) and Dyer (182). Man, imagine if we could have 3 guys over 90 carries this season, and not just because RB1 got injured (but especially if RB1 got injured). 

Corey Grant had 66 in 2013 behind Tre (317), Marshall (172) and CAP (91). In 2014, he had 60 behind CAP (303) and Marshall (153). 

My thing is that we didn't need a situational back in 2017. Eli Stove was doing fine with the sweeps. Barrett was around for, evidently, the extremely rare swing pass. Miller should have been able to come on and kill clock in a couple games but we needed legit depth behind KJ. We desperately needed it. And now suddenly KMart is atop the RB depth chart going into Spring ball? With the same guys coaching him? But he wasn't good enough to spell a hurt KJ just a few months ago? I just don't get it. 

6 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Definitely interesting comparing the 2.  I would guess he got more use because of the offense we ran with Cam vs JS.  Also the fact that Cam could shove a DL off of him no problem verse holding your breath when JS gets sacked.

He certainly complimented Cam's devastating inside run game with that incredible speed off the edge. When the defense sold out to stop Cam O-Mac was liable to pop a 60 yarder off on any play

I figure KMart will get the first snap or carry of the year due to seniority. Then it's anybody's guess how we rotate the backs. I figure so many backs will get a touch that it'll be hard for anyone to get in a rhythm. And if the OL isn't up to snuff who knows what happens with how we find our RB1

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And now suddenly KMart is atop the RB depth chart going into Spring ball? With the same guys coaching him? But he wasn't good enough to spell a hurt KJ just a few months ago? I just don't get it. 

This part actually makes the most sense to me. As the default #2 last year, he knows the play book better than anyone else, so he's the best one to help the young guys pick it up by example. I could very well be wrong, but I would be surprised to see him as #1 going into Fall.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

This part actually makes the most sense to me. As the default #2 last year, he knows the play book better than anyone else, so he's the best one to help the young guys pick it up by example. I could very well be wrong, but I would be surprised to see him as #1 going into Fall.

Agreed - Believe hes 1 right now because of seniority more then anything.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Then why is he even at running back? If he can play the position, then why didn't he play it more when we so desperately needed somebody to help out last year? If he can't play the position, then why would we have him helping anyone else learn how to play it?

If he shows out this year, then hooray for him and Auburn. I guess we'd just say that Gus bricked last year and try to let it go (again). If he doesn't... well, there is the possibility that Gus is using spring to give him one more shot. Maybe there's a plan B if it doesn't work out, a la Roc Thomas. We'll see. Just feels like, to a skeptic like me, Gus still doesn't know what to do with Martin and can't commit to a direction with him. (Which might have an effect on the RB position/depth chart overall.)

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

OMac had 95 carries in 2010. He was 3rd in total carries behind Cam (264, although rushing stats for QBs in college are figured... well, incorrectly) and Dyer (182). Man, imagine if we could have 3 guys over 90 carries this season, and not just because RB1 got injured (but especially if RB1 got injured). 

Corey Grant had 66 in 2013 behind Tre (317), Marshall (172) and CAP (91). In 2014, he had 60 behind CAP (303) and Marshall (153). 

My thing is that we didn't need a situational back in 2017. Eli Stove was doing fine with the sweeps. Barrett was around for, evidently, the extremely rare swing pass. Miller should have been able to come on and kill clock in a couple games but we needed legit depth behind KJ. We desperately needed it. And now suddenly KMart is atop the RB depth chart going into Spring ball? With the same guys coaching him? But he wasn't good enough to spell a hurt KJ just a few months ago? I just don't get it. 

We’ve only had three practices so I don’t think anyone is rb1 or rb2 yet! Give CGM a minute or two as we sort this out, geez!

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Then why is he even at running back? If he can play the position, then why didn't he play it more when we so desperately needed somebody to help out last year? If he can't play the position, then why would we have him helping anyone else learn how to play it?

As has been mentioned repeatedly, at his size, he's a change of pace back. The kid can run, but it's hard to imagine him taking the continual beating a featured back does, or providing the level of protection needed for the QB. He could surprise a bunch of people and become that guy, but even if he doesn't I would expect him to have some serious yards during the season.

Whether or not he's the right guy for the featured roll one we hit the field has little to do with the ability to execute the plays in practice. Remember, Jeremy Johnson was a rock star in practice but wasn't the right guy on the field.  I know, if I was the coach, for the first few days I'd want my guy with the most experience out there getting my #2 QB good reps and giving all of my other, younger backs examples of the plays.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

As has been mentioned repeatedly, at his size, he's a change of pace back.

As a bunch of message board warriors have mentioned repeatedly. As a bunch of message board warriors have mentioned repeatedly about every single Auburn back who ever came in under 220 lbs. And it's still annoying as all hell. Don't confuse popular opinion with fact. Hate to play this card, but Tre Mason says hi. So do Dexter McCluster (181 carries in 2009) and Noel Devine (200+ the next season). So do Worm Shivers and his mom. 

It's just really frustrating to see a guy who Gus refused to use in December atop the depth chart in March. Feels like salt in the wound, is all. 

And @toddc, you're right, but Gus is now in his 6th year at Auburn and KMart is in his 3rd. Gus should know what KMart is by now.

This depth chart is probably meaningless, though. Y'all are right. 

1 hour ago, atl-tiger said:

Which is why we are recruiting more agility type guys instead of statues. MW and Kam in the backfield would be a nightmare.

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As a bunch of message board warriors have mentioned repeatedly. As a bunch of message board warriors have mentioned repeatedly about every single Auburn back who ever came in under 220 lbs. And it's still annoying as all hell. Don't confuse popular opinion with fact. Hate to play this card, but Tre Mason says hi. So do Dexter McCluster (181 carries in 2009) and Noel Devine (200+ the next season). So do Worm Shivers and his mom. 

It's just really frustrating to see a guy who Gus refused to use in December atop the depth chart in March. Feels like salt in the wound, is all. 

And @toddc, you're right, but Gus is now in his 6th year at Auburn and KMart is in his 3rd. Gus should know what KMart is by now.

Just think if our basketball team sucked like it usually does, how bored and agitated everybody would be?

The Shivers kid might take a lot of the carries away from Stove. He is OMAC fast and has moves.

OMAC in high school ran a 10:44  100meters and 22:44 200.

Shivers ran a 10:47 100 and a 21:13  200.

1 minute ago, WDavE said:

The Shivers kid might take a lot of the carries away from Stove. He is OMAC fast and has moves.

OMAC in high school ran a 10:44  100meters and 22:44 200.

Shivers ran a 10:47 100 and a 21:13  200.

10 minute 100 meters?!  I kidd I kidd . But realistically Anthony should take all O Mac and Eli stove type motion runs. He only is potentially the national track athlete of the year.

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

10 minute 100 meters?!  I kidd I kidd . But realistically Anthony should take all O Mac and Eli stove type motion runs. He only is potentially the national track athlete of the year.

I was kind of impressed with the Shiver's 200 meter time versus Omac's.

Me kidding now.....

I bet Shivers doesn't trip over imaginary objects like Omac on occasion did. In one game, I thought a sniper got Omac.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

1 minute ago, WDavE said:

I was kind of impressed with the Shiver's 200 meter time versus Omac's.

Me kidding now.....

I bet Shivers doesn't trip over imaginary objects like Omac on occasion did. In one game, I thought a sniper got Omac.

I think this might be one of those fun arguments for the next few years. Unless these kids don't ever see the field...

Either guy would be able to run those sweeps, I think, but Shivers is going to bring a lot more between the tackles and Schwartz is a true deep threat receiver.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think this might be one of those fun arguments for the next few years. Unless these kids don't ever see the field...

Either guy would be able to run those sweeps, I think, but Shivers is going to bring a lot more between the tackles and Schwartz is a true deep threat receiver.

Seems like on the sweeps it is the ability of a player to put his foot in the ground and make the quick cut upfield that really makes the difference.   Good as Omac was, that was something he had to learn over time.   Just wondering if Shivers might not be the one who comes here with that ability ?  

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Your right on both.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems like on the sweeps it is the ability of a player to put his foot in the ground and make the quick cut upfield that really makes the difference.   Good as Omac was, that was something he had to learn over time.   Just wondering if Shivers might not be the one who comes here with that ability ?  

Yep Corey grant was the master of that and it is still showing at the next level.

18 hours ago, toddc said:

We’ve only had three practices so I don’t think anyone is rb1 or rb2 yet! Give CGM a minute or two as we sort this out, geez!

A minute?  Gus needs at least 5 games.

wde

Archived