Null



boomstick

SEC Postseason Honors

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Soooo the other teams ONLY figured this out by week 14 of the SEC schedule as to how to guard Brown? Your logic is not sound, sorry.

He never had a bad streak like the 3-4 game streak all year. It started with the shoulder, then he probably came back too soon, he struggled, then the problem with his foot which is very tough for a jump shooter, and finally I am sure it became mental. Once he got it back he was good to go.

SC at their place, was a struggle for him. So they were over guarding him, right?

4 weeks later SC again at home, Brown lit them up with 29, so what happened here? Simply healthier and confidence.

 

My logic is sound.

Brown had a very similar shooting slump last year.  His mother even got involved in helping him practice to break out of it.

When McClemore got hurt at SC and our inside game suffered, teams began overplaying our strength: 3-point shooting.  And Brown then had a very hard time creating his own shot.  Pearl even went on record as saying he was pressing too much and forcing things.  Even in the final game against SC, he shot very poorly for a significant part of that game.  And then he got some open shots and got very hot.

I like Brown and the team just fine.  I'm just trying to give an honest assessment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Good analysis but seems to me that when Harper disappears there is not much of a Plan B for him.   Maybe that's true for the other two guys but when Harper is on with his game, everyone else plays better too. 

True.  I don't think Davion Mitchell progressed as much as Pearl anticipated, so when Harper was off, we suffered more than when other starters were off.

Edited by KolchakAU85
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

My logic is sound.

Brown had a very similar shooting slump last year.  His mother even got involved in helping him practice to break out of it.

When McClemore got hurt at SC and our inside game suffered, teams began overplaying our strength: 3-point shooting.  And Brown then had a very hard time creating his own shot.  Pearl even went on record as saying he was pressing too much and forcing things.  Even in the final game against SC, he shot very poorly for a significant part of that game.  And then he got some open shots and got very hot.

I like Brown and the team just fine.  I'm just trying to give an honest assessment.

Bryce started the last South Carolina game 0-4 from the field through about 12 minutes of the first half and finished the game 9-11. He shot 9-15 for the game (8-12 from 3). He struggled early, but I wouldn't say it was for a significant part of the game. And Bruce also has said that Bryce's shooting struggles have been partially because of a foot injury he was dealing with that was causing him problems pushing off and planting.  He did get easier to defend, but I think that was more of a result of the injury preventing him from being as aggressive off the bounce as it was anybody missing from the team. Mac's absence has had an affect, no doubt, but I don't think Bryce's slump was tied to that too much.

Edited by boomstick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, boomstick said:

Bryce started the last South Carolina game 0-4 from the field through about 12 minutes of the first half and finished the game 9-11. He shot 9-15 for the game (8-12 from 3). He struggled early, but I wouldn't say it was for a significant part of the game. And Bruce also has said that Bryce's shooting struggles have been partially because of a foot injury he was dealing with that was causing him problems pushing off and planting.  He did get easier to defend, but I think that was more of a result of the injury preventing him from being as aggressive off the bounce as it was anybody missing from the team. Mac's absence has had an affect, no doubt, but I don't think Bryce's slump was tied to that too much.

OK, thanks for the correction.  He didn't shoot as bad as I thought to start that game.

I'm not down on him.  I hope he shoots great for many more games this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

OK, thanks for the correction.  He didn't shoot as bad as I thought to start that game.

I'm not down on him.  I hope he shoots great for many more games this season.

No doubt. We need Bryce to shoot well from now until the end of the season for us to have a chance to make a good run in both the SECT and the NCAAT. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The team's MVP is Harper. Whether his shooting is on or not, he's the "straw that stirs the drink". He deserved MVP of the SEC, but we Auburn folk are used to being hated and slighted by the rest of the league. To hell with them. If the SEC gets 8 teams in the NCAA, I hope the league's record is 6-7. Auburn goes 6-0 and the rest of them 0-7. That would be SWEET!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mikey said:

The team's MVP is Harper. Whether his shooting is on or not, he's the "straw that stirs the drink". He deserved MVP of the SEC, but we Auburn folk are used to being hated and slighted by the rest of the league. To hell with them. If the SEC gets 8 teams in the NCAA, I hope the league's record is 6-7. Auburn goes 6-0 and the rest of them 0-7. That would be SWEET!

If you watched a lot of SEC basketball and not just when AU is involved, it's hard to quarrel much with the all SEC selections.  JMO...Guys like Silva or Maten and the rest of them almost totally carry their teams and every opponent knows it and concentrates on them. ...and they still seem to get it done. 

As we've discussed....I think Harper is the SEC's MVP but otherwise, AU is a team blessed with several very good players who can share the load....and that might be considered a tribute to Bruce who has been able to win this year without a superstar to carry the team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If you watched a lot of SEC basketball and not just when AU is involved, it's hard to quarrel much with the all SEC selections.  JMO...Guys like Silva or Maten and the rest of them almost totally carry their teams and every opponent knows it and concentrates on them. ...and they still seem to get it done. 

As we've discussed....I think Harper is the SEC's MVP but otherwise, AU is a team blessed with several very good players who can share the load....and that might be considered a tribute to Bruce who has been able to win this year without a superstar to carry the team.  

I'd take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday's!

Give me a platoon mentality on a team any time over one superstar player who's performance can't make or break the team's production.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AU64 said:

If you watched a lot of SEC basketball and not just when AU is involved, it's hard to quarrel much with the all SEC selections.  JMO...Guys like Silva or Maten and the rest of them almost totally carry their teams and every opponent knows it and concentrates on them. ...and they still seem to get it done. 

As we've discussed....I think Harper is the SEC's MVP but otherwise, AU is a team blessed with several very good players who can share the load....and that might be considered a tribute to Bruce who has been able to win this year without a superstar to carry the team.  

Especially Maten.  I'm a big fan of the low post game, and he does it very, very well.  I've watched a couple Georgia games this year just to see him play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now