SEC Postseason Honors

boomstick

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess I'm not totally surprised by the first team....we had discussed that with three players of about equal skill, it was going to be tough for one of them to be selected over the others.  Auburn guys split the vote in my view.   The players selected were each one the obviously dominant player for their teams.   It was a tough league and there are some very good players scattered around and looks like the coaches tried to cover the league with their votes. .

As for the coach selection....the usual stuff from the rest of our SEC "brethren".....not much of a surprise that they found someone other than BP they could vote for.  

2 hours ago, wde21 said:

This! After the tennis player got SEC player of the year over Cam I quit caring about the conference. This nonsense just reinforces how I feel about the rest of the SEC!

Not only Cam, Spurrier was voted SEC Coach of the Year and Chizik's Tigers beat Spurrier's team TWICE! I quit caring about the SEC at that point. I give aTm and Mizzou a pass because they werren't members then, but the rest of the schools, coaches and players can jump in the lake.

Not only did coach Pearl not voted as SEC coach of the year, but no Auburn player was voted on the 1st team. The SEC and national media hates 100%. Since Auburn doesn't get credit for anything good that we do in any sports, maybe we should strongly consider leaving the SEC. The national media has their darling. It is and always will be Alabama and anyone else in the conference.

5 hours ago, fishepa said:

I stopped liking the "SEC" in 2010 and this just fuels my discontent even more.  

The SEC is a 4 team conference. Bammer, Georgia, Florida and insert everyone else except Auburn. 

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

The SEC is a 4 team conference. Bammer, Georgia, Florida and insert everyone else except Auburn. 

Can you imagine how the coaches, not to mention the bama sucking media wold have voted if bama, and the greatest coach to ever come from the nba, Avery Johnson  had done what Pearl and this Auburn basketball team did? Hell, PTB at bama would try to get him named NBA coach of the year.

WTF did Rick Barnes accomplish this year to be named COY?  If I recall they opened SEC play with a loss at home against who? Oh yeah, AUBURN!

Bruce has a shady past from UT, there’s also smoke surrounding his program this season with 2 players benched for the season by the NCAA and 3 coaches no longer on BPs staff.  I can somewhat see Bruce not getting the votes when Barnes was a decent alternative.  What I can’t stomach is the shaft job our players got, that showed massive disrespect.

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

Can you imagine how the coaches, not to mention the bama sucking media wold have voted if bama, and the greatest coach to ever come from the nba, Avery Johnson  had done what Pearl and this Auburn basketball team did? Hell, PTB at bama would try to get him named NBA coach of the year.

WTF did Rick Barnes accomplish this year to be named COY?  If I recall they opened SEC play with a loss at home against who? Oh yeah, AUBURN!

The PTB at Bama couldnt sway the SEC coaches AND the AP to get him voted COY.  Rick Barnes had a great season too, he and Bruce could have shared the award....the wide margin in the SEC coaches was asinine though.

Just when you think Bruce is just about out of bulletin board material...

I’m predicting it now - we will win the tournament and Heron will be tournament MVP

2 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Just when you think Bruce is just about out of bulletin board material...

I’m predicting it now - we will win the tournament and Heron will be tournament MVP

I can see that happening!  WDE!

People think Auburn is on probation or will be, thanks to fake news and media slander.

Screw the sec, those logos the team was carrying around when we beat South Carolina should be burned.

Auburn should take the sec logos off of the court as well. Probably some rule that requires it to be visible though.

11 hours ago, keesler said:

What I can’t stomach is the shaft job our players got, that showed massive disrespect.

Just wondering though....of AU's three best players, which one would you put on the first team all SEC?    

At various times of the season, each one had a great stretch and carried the team in some tough games.  Still thinking that with three quality players like Harper, Heron and Brown, when the votes were made, probably all three of them got support.....and spit the numbers.    

JMO  I don't view it as a slight....just the results of having three really good players on the team with pretty balanced contributions during the year.  The guys on first team SEC were clearly the best player on their teams....which helped their vote totals... and we saw them play and each one of them is very good.

BUT..as discussed.....just need to win this weekend....and all of our guys need to play well. .

The coaching selection....well...that's another thing... 

This makes me so DAMN MAD. So BP can win a championship with no players on the first team and he is not the coach of the year. Total BULL CRAP. I wish we would leave the SEC, we get no respect.

Generally speaking, I hate MVP awards, post-season awards, coach-of-the-year awards, etc.  Such awards are never "won".  They can't be won.  There is no definitive criteria for them to be won.  They are "awarded", based completely on opinion.  And to me, that makes them worthless.  So I'm not at all upset that Auburn didn't get any opinion-based awards.

To the contrary, I like it.

Question: What helped motivate our coaches and players to lead the SEC wire-to-wire after being decimated by the Chuck Person debacle and the loss of Austin Wiley and Danjel Purifoy? 

Answer: Being "snubbed" by preseason predictions.

Let's face it: our players were emotionally rattled after losing Anfernee McClemore to a visibly gruesome injury that shook every player on our team.  We limped across the SEC regular season finish line.  Our young team needed some external motivation to regroup and regather the edge they so often displayed this season.  And based upon reaction to the all-SEC "snubbing", they may have just gotten the motivation they need to prove that our regular season was no fluke.

War Eagle.

And here's something else to ponder:

IMO, none of our guys are going to leave for the NBA.  Not Harper, Heron, Brown, or any of our other active players.  That's just my opinion, and I may be wrong.

Hell, I even think there's a chance that Purifoy and/or Wiley might return as well.  Probably not Wiley, but I wouldn't be surprised if Purifoy returns.

Can you imagine how these "snubbed" and "ineligible" players would be motivated next year?  They would have mercy on no one.  They would have all off-season to stew and boil and prepare to take their frustrations out on their opponents next year.

More snubs, please.  The more, the better.

And here's what would be really funny and would, at least for me, be a testament to just how worthless these opinion-based awards are: if Pearl is awarded NCAA Coach of the Year, when he didn't receive that award from the SEC.

Brown being in the thick of the SEC POTY award race for roughly 85-90% of the season (the injury got him off track) by itself is worthy of being a 1st teamer. Actually makes no sense for a guy who was in the top 2 or 3 of that race -- if not for #1 at a time -- to not be in the top 8 players in the conference. 

Oh well, time to show the doubters again what the deal is!

16 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

The debate should have been which player is SEC player of the year...Brown, Heron or Harper. 

I'd look for the MVP award for the SEC ....and would give my vote to Harper pretty easily.   

A for "Player of the year" ?   Some really good players out there and a few might be in the NBA next year and I'd be hesitant to pick one of our guys over the other two...or over some other guys who played exceptional ball and carried their teams. JMO

Jared Harper is the MVP by the literal definition IMO. He was our most valuable player. We went as far as he took us. He is the one driving our team and when he had an off game, Auburn had an off game. That being said, the award rarely goes to the actual most valuable player.

Either way Harper may end up being the official MVP of the SEC before he's done at AU. I can't wait to see how much more his game improves over the next 2 seasons!

Mustapha Heron is our best player.  He almost never disappears, either offensively or defensively.  He's very consistent.  But he's not flashy and doesn't draw a lot of attention to himself.

I love these guys, but:

Harper disappears at times.  He seems to be a streaky player - either hot or cold, and not much in between.  And he takes too many ill-advised shots from damn near half court.  He's just a sophomore, and his ceiling is very high, but over the course of the season, taken as a total body of work, I don't think he was the best point guard in the SEC.  But he will be before his time at Auburn is done.

Brown has a hard time creating his own shot.  And I don't think his recent 4-game shooting slump was all (or even mostly) due to injury.  Teams got wise to him standing around at the 3-point arc waiting to get a pass and take a jump shot, so they overplayed him there, and he had a difficult time adjusting.

Okeke might be our best player next season.  He's gonna be very good at both ends of the court, and all in between as well.

13 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Mustapha Heron is our best player.  He almost never disappears, either offensively or defensively.  He's very consistent.  But he's not flashy and doesn't draw a lot of attention to himself.

I love these guys, but:

Harper disappears at times.  He seems to be a streaky player - either hot or cold, and not much in between.  And he takes too many ill-advised shots from damn near half court.  He's just a sophomore, and his ceiling is very high, but over the course of the season, taken as a total body of work, I don't think he was the best point guard in the SEC.  But he will be before his time at Auburn is done.

Brown has a hard time creating his own shot.  And I don't think his recent 4-game shooting slump was all (or even mostly) due to injury.  Teams got wise to him standing around at the 3-point arc waiting to get a pass and take a jump shot, so they overplayed him there, and he had a difficult time adjusting.

Okeke might be our best player next season.  He's gonna be very good at both ends of the court, and all in between as well.

Good analysis but seems to me that when Harper disappears there is not much of a Plan B for him.   Maybe that's true for the other two guys but when Harper is on with his game, everyone else plays better too. 

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I love these guys, but:

Soooo the other teams ONLY figured this out by week 14 of the SEC schedule as to how to guard Brown? Your logic is not sound, sorry.

He never had a bad streak like the 3-4 game streak all year. It started with the shoulder, then he probably came back too soon, he struggled, then the problem with his foot which is very tough for a jump shooter, and finally I am sure it became mental. Once he got it back he was good to go.

SC at their place, was a struggle for him. So they were over guarding him, right?

4 weeks later SC again at home, Brown lit them up with 29, so what happened here? Simply healthier and confidence.

"Best" and "most valuable" are not always the same.

Take Heron out of the lineup and we can still win (data proves this)

Take Harper out of the lineup and we are struggling. Even when he plays and is having an off night our entire team looks out of sorts. He's the catalyst, even with his bad shot selection (which has been reduced by like 100000000% this year by the way from last year)

Archived