2019 5* OT Wanya Morris (1/18/20 Transfers to OU)

WFE12

23 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I lived this on the non-athletic side of things. I had offers and more scholarship money from schools that had more educational prestige in my area of study than Auburn but I chose Auburn because I fell in love with the school and the town. When it comes down to it, an SEC school is an SEC school (unless it's Vanderbilt or Kentucky... or Ole Miss in their current state). You can either sell the players on your current success or sell them on the idea that their talent is what they need to get them to the top, because the top is never that far away. These kids are still kids, leaving home for the first time and looking for a place that they will be comfortable on and off the field. The school and the surroundings still make a difference to many of these kids and while it's hard to wrap our heads around not loving Auburn, because we all do, some people just don't. 

This would pretty much be Ole Miss for almost every possible year except for that very brief period of time a couple of years ago. Their current state is their default state. 

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

This would pretty much be Ole Miss for almost every possible year except for that very brief period of time a couple of years ago. Their current state is their default state. 

I think their current state is looking up at their default state wishing it was there, but I get you. Still... they did make that one run, so they can still sell the potential.

• 3 weeks later...

5-star linebacker, top tackle target make quiet, crucial multi-day visit to Auburn

Back-to-back days of Owen Pappoe and Wanya Morris questions prove the growing hopefulness on Auburn’s side of signing the teammates at Grayson High School in Loganville, Ga.

If you missed the Wednesday question of the day, check it out here.

Something big came up shortly after that question published: Keith Niebuhr of 247Sports reported a three-day visit made by 5-star outside linebacker Pappoe and 4-star tackle Morris, which I can confirm. Initially, Morris was planning to make a Sunday-to-Monday visit. Then Pappoe joined him. Then it turned into a three-day occasion.

The importance of this can’t be overstated.

As I wrote earlier in the week, it’d be interesting to check for follow-up visits from one or both. That didn’t take long.

Also as I mentioned in the previous post, I received a call from a source close to Pappoe earlier this week suggesting this was the closest the race has been. It was the first time this source felt there was some legitimacy to the idea of Pappoe choosing a school other than Georgia. Morris has made several kept-quiet trips to the Plains this year. So many that the next one he takes, you’ll need a second hand to count it.

This is huge for Auburn.

In-state Georgia is obviously still a main contender for Pappoe — perhaps the public favorite. Tennessee is a major player for Morris. But at this moment, this is the strongest I’ve ever felt about Auburn landing either prospect, and bringing in both certainly seems more realistic than ever.

One tidbit worth mentioning is Pappoe’s relationship with another Auburn target — Jashawn Sheffield from Frederica Academy in St. Simons Island, Ga., a 4-star athlete on the 247Sports composite — who visited last weekend and called the Tigers his No. 1 school. Sheffield and Pappoe have been close friends since their freshman years of high school, when both prospects’ recruitments took off. It’s not a coincidence that Pappoe made an originally unplanned multi-day visit to the Plains shortly after Sheffield’s first visit and initial interest.

OMG yes!!!!!!!! This is exactly what we needed. Man I needed this. My day has been crappy so far. Thanks E!!!

IMG_1112.GIF

If we could get verbal from Papoe and Morris this class would skyrocket!

29 minutes ago, toddc said:

If we could get verbal from Papoe and Morris this class would skyrocket!

Yes because it could also have positive effects with 4* Athlete (likely Safety) JaShawn Sheffield & 4* CB Andrew Booth.

FWIW Pappoe is a composite 5*, Booth is in the top 40 on 2 sites, Wanya is in the top 20 on 2 sites, & Sheffield is in the top 40 on 1 site.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Yes because it could also have positive effects with 4* Athlete (likely Safety) JaShawn Sheffield & 4* CB Andrew Booth.

Is Booth teammates with Sheffield? I hadn't seen anything about him in a while.

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Is Booth teammates with Sheffield?

No. Not teammates either but Pappoe is the one to watch w/ Booth.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Pappoe is a composite 5*, Booth is in the top 40 on 2 sites, Wanya is in the top 20 on 2 sites, & Sheffield is in the top 40 on 1 site.

If we somehow landed all 4 of these guys, I’d likely soil myself and need to change my shorts...

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

If we somehow landed all 4 of these guys, I’d likely soil myself and need to change my shorts...

Your starting to sound like bird

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Whoa

20 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Critical visit for AU. Morris is a UT lean. 

It is hard to imagine what they are selling in Tennessee. Pruitt is probably one heck of a recruiter but that school has no offense and nothing else going for it to sell a kid right now.  

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

It is hard to imagine what they are selling in Tennessee. Pruitt is probably one heck of a recruiter but that school has no offense and nothing else going for it to sell a kid right now.  

Starting right away, I guess and playing in front of 100,00+

On 4/5/2018 at 8:20 PM, augolf1716 said:

Your starting to sound like bird

I thought birds soil on other un-suspecting people

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I thought birds soil on other un-suspecting people

I aim for Golf

22 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Tennessee has been a powerful recruiting force for as long as I've been following AU athletics. I'm not sure what they sell there. School, atmosphere, town, whatever it is, they always draw quality players and a goodly number of those come from Georgia.

The latest with Wanya Morris

cut his list to a top 2 following a visit to Knoxville early in March. This seemed to give the edge to the Vols since it was so close to his visit.

people around Morris felt like Tennessee was going to be the decision. One source was confident Thursday in telling me this was still the case.

Tennessee had a lead at one point, at the very least. It’s imperative to hold onto the lead with a decision possibly coming by the end of the month

Tennessee is offering a chance at early playing time and a chance to be a part of building something special. The Volunteers are coming off their first 4-8 season in school history. It can be challenging recruiting on only a vision. The coaching staff needs the appeal of playing time to be enough for this one.

Auburn’s pitch

Auburn clearly has a more established program right now. The Tigers are coming off a season that featured a run to the SEC Championship Game.

Auburn also is pitching the chance for Morris to play with his high school friends.

Morris took a three-day trip to the Plains earlier this month with Owen Pappoe, a 5-star linebacker who is rated No. 1 at his position and in the top 10 nationally on the 247Sports composite.

This might complicate matters with Tennessee. Morris and Pappoe took a trip together to Knoxville in March. The two are close and probably interested in the prospect of playing together in college.

Auburn also extended an offer to Pappoe and Morris’ teammate, center Jakai Clark, over the weekend. Clark committed to Auburn on Tuesday.

This clearly was an attempt to better the standing with Morris and Pappoe. Clark had drawn the most interest Boston College, Syracuse and Temple before last weekend. To put it simply, Clark likely wouldn’t have gotten the offer and chance to commit if he didn’t have a friendship with Pappoe and Morris.

It can be looked at as a shrewd move by Auburn to go after a friend. It also could be a sign of desperation and an attempt to try anything to impress Morris and Pappoe.

Some on the Auburn coaching staff believe the Clark commitment will tip the scales in their favor.

I think Tennessee still has a lead over Auburn but it’s closer than it was two weeks ago. The Tigers will continue to pull out all the stops in this one.

I can taste the salt in this dude's writing. Didn't know that Tennessee fans needed to preemptively make excuses to why they might lose a recruit. The Clark comment was simply disrespectful to Clark and Auburn both.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I can taste the salt in this dude's writing. Didn't know that Tennessee fans needed to preemptively make excuses to why they might lose a recruit. The Clark comment was simply disrespectful to Clark and Auburn both.

Sounds like a incredibly bitter and condescending rival fan.                      Or, and Auburn beat writer.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

All the more reason for Clark to become an All SEC lineman and then casually drop this article on social media the next day...

Archived