2019 5* OT Wanya Morris (1/18/20 Transfers to OU)

WFE12

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

FTR, Nall didn't recruit Grubbs. He was recruited as a defensive lineman, and played TE and LB in high school. I remember very well the cleat marks he left on my high school team (we graduated the same year). He was a freak of an athlete, too, so it's not like there wasn't a great deal of potential already there.

I can't say as I agree with the downing of Grimes, either. Give him a little time to get himself connected again, and I suspect we'll be fine.

I never said Nall recruited Grubbs. Grant and I did correctly say that Nall put him into the league. 

Grubbs gives credit to Hugh Nall, the Tigers' line coach since 1999, for his fast start. "He took me in from day one," Grubbs said. "He's a hard coach. If you mess up he'll get on you, but if you do well he'll give you praise as well. I looked up to him and respect him. He played center for Georgia, and he blocked for Herschel Walker, so when you look at his background you can't help but respect the guy because he has the accolades to back up his talk.

"I just really paid attention to what he was coaching me to do and tried my best to apply it on the field. He helped me out with my technique -- he taught me to be patient for one because we really didn't get the techniques he was teaching us (at times), but he stuck with us and he made us better players."

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marathon not a sprint. His mind will change come November, once he sees Grimes produce another 1st round O-Line prospect 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Marathon not a sprint. His mind will change come November, once he sees Grimes produce another 1st round O-Line prospect 

Who do you have your money on being that guy?

4 hours ago, DAG said:

I’m hearing Wanya isn’t a done deal regardless of what is out on the interwebz...  will we wait if we identify equal talent.  No.  But Morris is a 2 year down the road guy anyway.  Very high ceiling similar to Tega just with more experience.  Tega probably more athletic and stronger 

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

will we wait if we identify equal talent.

5* talents, especially at OT are hard to find in terms of equal talent.

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

But Morris is a 2 year down the road guy anyway.

Really? Generally speaking 5* OT are expected to be able to compete for a starting spot year 1.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

5* talents, especially at OT are hard to find in terms of equal talent.

Really? Generally speaking 5* OT are expected to be able to compete for a starting spot year 1.

I don’t have him as a five star in my evaluations.  Probably around a 93 if using the 247 point system.  Elite guy but definitely not a 5 star guy.  He will drop during his senior season unless he commits to the weight room fierce.  Just my opinion of course.  

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Who do you have your money on being that guy?

The guy I am most critical of on the line. Prince Tega. One of the reasons why? He has an innate ability of athleticism. Things that absolutely cannot be taught. From that standpoint, he is already going to kill it. He will have those insane combine numbers. Two: He has the best fundamental teacher in the nation. This is what is holding him back in my eyes. He has strength, athletic ability, but if your fundamentals are shaky, it absolutely can put you at a disadvantage, especially on the offensive line. My feeling has been, he could find his way on potential alone, but if he can become a student of his craft, there honestly is no reason why he couldn't be considered one of the best offensive linemen in the SEC next year.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I’m hearing Wanya isn’t a done deal regardless of what is out on the interwebz...  will we wait if we identify equal talent.  No.  But Morris is a 2 year down the road guy anyway.  Very high ceiling similar to Tega just with more experience.  Tega probably more athletic and stronger 

Ironic you bought this guy up. I just referenced him.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

The guy I am most critical of on the line. Prince Tega. One of the reasons why? He has an innate ability of athleticism. Things that absolutely cannot be taught. From that standpoint, he is already going to kill it. He will have those insane combine numbers. Two: He has the best fundamental teacher in the nation. This is what is holding him back in my eyes. He has strength, athletic ability, but if your fundamentals are shaky, it absolutely can put you at a disadvantage, especially on the offensive line. My feeling has been, he could find his way on potential alone, but if he can become a student of his craft, there honestly is no reason why he couldn't be considered one of the best offensive linemen in the SEC next year.

Agree with everything you said... at the same time, I hate to have him come into his own next year and only have him at that level for a year because he jumps early.

• 1 month later...

I would love for Gus and Company to steal the crown jewel from Coach Pruitt’s recruiting class.  

I'm pretty sure OP thinks Morris has a good chance of flipping.

5 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I'm pretty sure OP thinks Morris has a good chance of flipping.

Na. He's just working hard & hoping it pays off.

I agree if signing day were now or even a month away it would be very difficult to flip Morris. But looking at Tennessee schedule they may lose 5 to 7 games. If that happens and we are in contention again to win the SEC West, I personally would not be surprised at all to see him sign with Auburn. We certainly could use him.

1 hour ago, Samau said:

I agree if signing day were now or even a month away it would be very difficult to flip Morris. But looking at Tennessee schedule they may lose 5 to 7 games. If that happens and we are in contention again to win the SEC West, I personally would not be surprised at all to see him sign with Auburn. We certainly could use him.

He knows Tennessee is going to struggle, and he knows that will mean he's got a faster path to starting there. IMO.

There are many ways to take this. A bad season for the Vols could play in our favor.  If he is that good, he could start for us as early as he would for the vols. Maybe a beat down on UT with him in attendance could bode well for us.  You never know and OP could work some magic before it is all said and done with his recruiting. Maybe just maybe things could go our way come NSD.

3 hours ago, Samau said:

Looking at Tennessee schedule they may lose 5 to 7 games. If that happens and we are in contention again to win the SEC West, I personally would not be surprised at all to see him sign with Auburn.

I would. Current year records historically don't matter much in a recruiting class if there isn't a coaching change during or after that season or threat thereof. Pruitt is in year 1 & likely has 3 years of security right now. Pruitt is staying a few barring some kind of scandal forcing him out.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

There are many ways to take this. A bad season for the Vols could play in our favor.

It would have to be 0-12 bad or close to it to truly help us out.

Just now, ellitor said:

how about starting out 2 wins 4 losses?  I think he's keeping an eye to AU and anything is possible.  Especially with high school teammates barking in his ear

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He knows Tennessee is going to struggle, and he knows that will mean he's got a faster path to starting there. IMO.

I am not sure at all that he’s got a faster path to starting at Tennessee. Our OT recruiting (especially the last couple of years) has not been that great. 

1 minute ago, Samau said:

I am not sure at all that he’s got a faster path to starting at Tennessee. Our OT recruiting (especially the last couple of years) has not been that great. 

Tega, Driscoll, Ashley, and Troxell... plus you have depth guys like Sammons and Sharpe.  Plus in dire need you could move Carr outside if consequences dictated.  That's like 5 or 6   4 and 5 star players at OT.  Granted we need some depth builders we aren't as in a bad a spot as everyone is making it out to be.  Center now and long term concerns me much more then OT.

Again we need 2 OT's in this class!!  

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I think if Tennessee goes 7-5 or worse and we have a successful season it would have a positive impact. But I could be wrong. 

Archived