2019 5* OT Wanya Morris (1/18/20 Transfers to OU)

WFE12

OL is an extremely hard position to identify at the HS level (especially OT) hence why you will constantly see top NFL draft picks at the position coming from random as hell schools.  These kids obviously weren't 5-star signees out of HS, otherwise they wouldn't have ended up at the Central Michigans of the NCAA sphere.  So it IS entirely plausible to identify lesser-known talent that can be coached up or developed physically into All-SEC caliber.  The problem here is that we have an old-as-hell OL coach who obviously isn't known for traveling to scour talent, and that is what you need to do to unearth these kids.  So much of our OT recruiting seems to be targeting 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' nationally ranked kids who all end up signing elsewhere, and then we don't even have anyone left on the board.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, metafour said:

OL is an extremely hard position to identify at the HS level (especially OT) hence why you will constantly see top NFL draft picks at the position coming from random as hell schools.  These kids obviously weren't 5-star signees out of HS, otherwise they wouldn't have ended up at the Central Michigans of the NCAA sphere.  So it IS entirely plausible to identify lesser-known talent that can be coached up or developed physically into All-SEC caliber.  The problem here is that we have an old-as-hell OL coach who obviously isn't known for traveling to scour talent, and that is what you need to do to unearth these kids.  So much of our OT recruiting seems to be targeting 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' nationally ranked kids who all end up signing elsewhere, and then we don't even have anyone left on the board.

Dang. Well freaking out. You summed up what so many of us have tried to by talking in circles about this subject since he got re hired. BRAVO! If I was a mod I would pin this post! LOVE IT!

18 minutes ago, metafour said:

You in a few words clarified what I tried to say in my verbose manner about O-Line recruiting and developing.  You also gave a clear reason why our O-line recruiting is bad. To often we go after 3 or 4 top rated kids everybody else goes after.  If we don't get them we don't have a solid backup plan because we have not done enough work finding the players like you described at the Central Michigan's of the NCAA sphere,we don't get the lower rated kids with the higher upside that we can coach up.  I have defended people attacking Grimes because we haven't signed anybody like Wanya Morris in this cycle but I am defending him only because coming in this late he really is way behind the curve on building relationships. I do agree that his age and not liking to travel could have a profound impact on his finding the diamond in the rough types that you can develop.

Its silly to state that unknown talent doesn't exist when we just brought in a transfer from U-Mass, and before that the kid everyone wanted was coming from Rice (the guy that signed with Texas).  I constantly see people talking about wanting to sign ~3 RB's every class when in reality this is what you should be doing with OT targets IMO.  You can find mean ~6'6 kids with length and the frame to put on weight, if you identify a few of those every class you should be able to coach up 2 of them into legitimate starters.  I've been saying for years that our OT recruiting made no sense.  When we did target lower-ranked kids, it was to sign guys like Bailey Sharp who (bless his heart) obviously didn't have the frame to play the position at the SEC level.  That or we bring in Mike Horton under the pretense that supposedly this 6'2/6'3 dude is going to play Tackle, which anyone with a brain knew wasn't going to happen. 

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

Its silly to state that unknown talent doesn't exist when we just brought in a transfer from U-Mass, and before that the kid everyone wanted was coming from Rice (the guy that signed with Texas).  I constantly see people talking about wanting to sign ~3 RB's every class when in reality this is what you should be doing with OT targets IMO.  You can find mean ~6'6 kids with length and the frame to put on weight, if you identify a few of those every class you should be able to coach up 2 of them into legitimate starters.  I've been saying for years that our OT recruiting made no sense.  When we did target lower-ranked kids, it was to sign guys like Bailey Sharp who (bless his heart) obviously didn't have the frame to play the position at the SEC level.  That or we bring in Mike Horton under the pretense that supposedly this 6'2/6'3 dude is going to play Tackle, which anyone with a brain knew wasn't going to happen. 

Robert Leff...

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Robert Leff...

Perfect example.  Nobody thought that kid was anything; he sat on the bench for a few seasons and ended up becoming a decent starter.  If you aren't landing these national guys, you can't just leave a class with no viable Tackle prospects.  Bare minimum you need to sign ~2 guys like Leff who at least possess the frame to potentially grow into something.

Just now, metafour said:

Perfect example.  Nobody thought that kid was anything; he sat on the bench for a few seasons and ended up becoming a decent starter.  If you aren't landing these national guys, you can't just leave a class with no viable Tackle prospects.  Bare minimum you need to sign ~2 guys like Leff who at least possess the frame to potentially grow into something.

I remember the gnashing of teeth when he committed. If you watched his film you saw the potential you're talking about

Just over a year ago we were celebrating what was widely considered one of the best o line classes in the nation. 5 Star Ashley, 4 Stars Troxell and Brahms, and Hamm who sat out a year after his illness. That’s a dang good haul and I’m confident there are some significant producers in that group, so we,are not without talent. This year we fell flat on top targets and numbers.   Somewhere in between, our transfer from I-AA Jax St more than held his own against some great SEC talent. 5 Star, 3 Star, or transfer, it’s on Grimes to get them ready. I’m excited about Clark, since his HS coach is on record that he may be their best lineman. We need 3-4 more to go with him. 

I think the whole debate over our OL is premature. No one knows if Ashley, Troxell, Hamm, Manning, or Brahms are going to pan out or not. Too young. If they do, we won’t have depth or talent issues. If they don’t, we will. We had a hole in classes above them, which is why we don’t have dudes developed at Tackle ahead of them. If we don’t sign guys this year, it’s an issue. Still way way too early to write this class off, and way to early to write off any of our young linemen. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I remember the gnashing of teeth when he committed. If you watched his film you saw the potential you're talking about

For sure.  He was a great late get IMO.  .

i like going after the big dogs,. But I would be happy landing everyone Dan Mullen leads for.  We are talking Oline.  

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

Guilty. ☹️

Why couldn't coach Grimes pull Wanya Morris into the Auburn family. I hope he does better in getting other OL.

7 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Why couldn't coach Grimes pull Wanya Morris into the Auburn family. I hope he does better in getting other OL.

just because

15 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Why couldn't coach Grimes pull Wanya Morris into the Auburn family.

Just to make you ask such questions.

4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Because Grimes wasn't his area recruiter. T-Will was.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

lol here you go again taking subtle drive by shots at t will. I thought we were passed that. I mean he is the best recruiter on our staff. What exactly is your end game here? LEAVE MUHHHHHHH MAN CRUSH T WILL ALONE!!!! haha. He is one of the rare coaches who FROM DAY ONE he became a full time on the field coach he already was showing good crutin shops! I say he deserves a pass every now and  then for being the mvp the last couple of cycles for us. 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Area recruiter does not always equal lead recruiter. Sometimes they can be contact points. You know this.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol here you go again taking subtle drive by shots at t will. I thought we were passed that. I mean he is the best recruiter on our staff. What exactly is your end game here? LEAVE MUHHHHHHH MAN CRUSH T WILL ALONE!!!! haha. He is one of the rare coaches who FROM DAY ONE he became a full time on the field coach he already was showing good crutin shops! I say he deserves a pass every now and  then for being the mvp the last couple of cycles for us. 

Not a pot-shot at all. Just stating a fact. Maybe to help you along the road to acceptance. Acceptance of.....nobody, even T-Will, wins them all.

I think this one has been discussed to death. Auburn was late on him and Tenn. already had him. I don't think any coach is going to be able to change his mind at this point. That said, one very good LB might.

31 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not a pot-shot at all. Just stating a fact. Maybe to help you along the road to acceptance. Acceptance of.....nobody, even T-Will, wins them all.

You could have just as easily and much more accurately put a former coach in your crosshairs instead. 

Even if that wasn't obvious, Pappoe and Clark show that location wasn't the problem. 

Contrarians gon contrary, tho. Rock on. 

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Why are we keeping this thread around?  He's not flipping anytime soon, is he?

Wanya mind your own business, buster. We're getting important things done in here. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Wanya mind your own business, buster. We're getting important things done in here. 

OK

Archived