2019 5* OT Wanya Morris (1/18/20 Transfers to OU)

WFE12

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Grimes is getting his butt whooped. 

Grimes just came on board. He has managed to pull a 2 year GT in a short time and Wanya who was in the Tenn camp when he came on board has moved Auburn to number 2 and we still might get him but I doubt it. So how is that getting your butt whooped.  Getting your butt whooped is when you have been on a guy for a couple of years and everybody thinks he is yours and he goes to another school. He may get his butt whooped in the future but if we don't get Wanya it is not Grimes fault.

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Grimes just came on board. He has managed to pull a 2 year GT in a short time and Wanya who was in the Tenn camp when he came on board has moved Auburn to number 2 and we still might get him but I doubt it. So how is that getting your butt whooped.  Getting your butt whooped is when you have been on a guy for a couple of years and everybody thinks he is yours and he goes to another school. He may get his butt whooped in the future but if we don't get Wanya it is not Grimes fault.

We have already whiffed on Knight too and we certainly are going to whiff on Webb when we are desperate for quality OL. Grimes is who we thought he was. 

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We have seen this movie before the first time he was a coach at Auburn. one of the big reasons we are in such a pinch on the OL right now is grimes lack of recruiting dug us in to the hole we are in right now. Herb Hand was brought in to rectify that problem and turns out he was really overrated as a recruiter. A huge letdown. He IS a good coach however. Big upgrade over hand in that department.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We have seen this movie before the first time he was a coach at Auburn. one of the big reasons we are in such a pinch on the OL right now is grimes lack of recruiting dug us in to the hole we are in right now. Herb Hand was brought in to rectify that problem and turns out he was really overrated as a recruiter. A huge letdown. He IS a good coach however. Big upgrade over hand in that department.

It's okay to discuss Grimes in general terms, but like Tex said, that doesn't mean that he's getting "whooped" on Morris. 

Also, we just sent a Grimes guy in the 2nd round. Horton and Harrell are Grimes guys and at least one of them has very solid NFL potential. Kim still has a good shot at being our starting center. Tex mentioned Driscoll. Clark, whose coach says is better than Morris, committed on the spot after spending a weekend with Gus and Grimes. 

Who at Auburn has ever done significantly better recruiting OLs? Honest question. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We have already whiffed on Knight too and we certainly are going to whiff on Webb when we are desperate for quality OL. Grimes is who we thought he was. 

I know Grimes has had the reputation of being a good hands on coach but as a  recruiter leaves something to be desired  and that may prove to be true again. But to blame him for Knight and possibly Wanya when he has just arrived and had limited time to recruit and also to blame him for Webb when all I heard is he has always been a bama is unfair. Since he has been here this year he pulled a badly needed GT at tackle and a Center that many think is underrated.  Considering the short amount of time he has been hear that is pretty good so far.

The next two class after this if he strikes out I will totally agree with you.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

It's okay to discuss Grimes in general terms, but like Tex said, that doesn't mean that he's getting "whooped" on Morris. 

Also, we just sent a Grimes guy in the 2nd round. Horton and Harrell are Grimes guys and at least one of them has very solid NFL potential. Kim still has a good shot at being our starting center. Tex mentioned Driscoll. Clark, whose coach says is better than Morris, committed on the spot after spending a weekend with Gus and Grimes. 

Who at Auburn has ever done significantly better recruiting OLs? Honest question. 

horton was all champ. He would not be here if it were not for champ. Kim has a shot at being center because there is not a lot of viable options. I bet Nick B gets the nod though if I were to guess. That whole recruiting class by grimes is a total bust besides harrell. Jeff Grimes was a really good recruiter! And Hugh Nall was a great developer of OL talent even if he did not get all the stars. That is who. BETTER YET WHY ARE YOU SO BULLISH on jb grimes?! lol I do not get it. We usually see eye to eye on things. This is DISTURBING TO ME!!! I am freaking out. This is so unlike you. Blink twice if you are being forced to have this opinion against your will!!! haha.

16 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Since he has been here this year he pulled a badly needed GT at tackle and a Center that many think is underrated. 

We got the lowly 3* center to help with getting Morris and Pappoa. Otherwise, Jakai is just a dime a dozen.

16 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

But to blame him for Knight and possibly Wanya when he has just arrived and had limited time to recruit and also to blame him for Webb when all I heard is he has always been a bama is unfair.

It may be unfair but he came back to coach an OL in the pinch. He has to produce now because the depth chart isn’t in a spot that allows for Grimes to ease into his position. Not only that, Tennessee’s OL coach “just got there” just like the rest of the coaching staff. Getting that GT was a mere band aid to our problems but it was a win.

35 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Oh, oh, instant flash back

BD3D1F5D-BE09-4529-B6B7-B8D8E4FAFC66.jpeg

Wow... I can't believe we're already throwing a coach under the bus because in the few months he's been here he might not have been able to sway a kid away from his long time favorite school (but got VERY close if he didn't) and probably won't be able to sway another kid away who's so connected to bama that his dog is probably named bear. I swear that some people around here just look for reasons to throw around hate.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

horton was all champ. He would not be here if it were not for champ. Kim has a shot at being center because there is not a lot of viable options. I bet Nick B gets the nod though if I were to guess. That whole recruiting class by grimes is a total bust besides harrell. Jeff Grimes was a really good recruiter! And Hugh Nall was a great developer of OL talent even if he did not get all the stars. That is who. BETTER YET WHY ARE YOU SO BULLISH on jb grimes?! lol I do not get it. We usually see eye to eye on things. This is DISTURBING TO ME!!! I am freaking out. This is so unlike you. Blink twice if you are being forced to have this opinion against your will!!! haha.

Here's the thing with Grimes. There's a popular narrative that he is a terrible, worthless recruiter, to the point that he's a "liability". It's even been said that no single recruit has ever said that he was a primary reason that they signed with us, when numerous guys have said it. I'm just resisting against that level of hyperbole. I'm not trying to say the guy is a great recruiter. He's not TWill. These are things that I've explicitly stated. 

Also, your description of Hugh Nall exactly matches your description of JB Grimes. Except it's 2018 now and Hugh Nall would be a far inferior version of Grimes in the modern SEC. The dude basically took a look at nick saban and where CFB was headed and said, "I think I'll get into trucking."

I'll give you Jeff Grimes. Was always a fan of his. So cool. There's one. 

But that's not even my thing. Like I said, I'm not trying to say Grimes is an amazing recruiter. There are just a lot of dumb things said about him on here, like him getting "whooped" for Morris, so some of us feel the need to say that maybe he's not this useless waste of a paycheck that he's made out to be. As usual, the truth lies in the middle. But the middle is boring! So let's yell at each other some more! Better yet...

Image result for wrestling gif

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There are just a lot of dumb things said about him on here, like him getting "whooped" for Morris

You have yet to give your opinion on why he wasn’t whooped. “He just got here” isn’t cutting it when Auburn is clearly the more stable program and Tennessee’s whole coaching staff was just put together. Auburn had to offer his friend, a lowly center with offers from the likes of: Boston College, Syracuse, and Temple just to be in good standing with Morris. 

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Grimes is getting his butt whooped. 

That part of Georgia isn't even Grimes's recruiting area. Could be that T-Will is getting his butt whooped on Morris. Grimes recruits in Florida.

4 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I wonder if Clark feels left out of all the hoopla.

His coach has said that he thinks Clark is the better OL college prospect, so there's that.

7 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I wonder if Clark feels left out of all the hoopla.

He already committed, so no announcement necessary. But I feel you. 

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That part of Georgia isn't even Grimes's recruiting area. Could be that T-Will is getting his butt whooped on Morris. Grimes recruits in Florida.

Also worth noting that we initially offered him a full year before Grimes was hired.

He was at the IB and the DSOR. We had a relationship with him and UT didn't even offer until mid-December, right after Pruitt was announced. Just like that, UT was his leader. That feels like UT was offering exactly what Morris was wanting and we were not. Maybe he gets more of a big fish/immediate impact vibe in Knoxville. Maybe Hand just really turned him off. 

I suspect that TWill and Grimes have both done well to make it close.

30 minutes ago, Mikey said:

lol come on now. what are we doing here? Don't do that. LAWWWWWWWWd knows where we would be without T will these past couple years in crutin.

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I suspect that TWill and Grimes have both done well to make it close.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Here's the thing with Grimes. There's a popular narrative that he is a terrible, worthless recruiter, to the point that he's a "liability". It's even been said that no single recruit has ever said that he was a primary reason that they signed with us, when numerous guys have said it. I'm just resisting against that level of hyperbole. I'm not trying to say the guy is a great recruiter. He's not TWill. These are things that I've explicitly stated. 

Also, your description of Hugh Nall exactly matches your description of JB Grimes. Except it's 2018 now and Hugh Nall would be a far inferior version of Grimes in the modern SEC. The dude basically took a look at nick saban and where CFB was headed and said, "I think I'll get into trucking."

I'll give you Jeff Grimes. Was always a fan of his. So cool. There's one. 

But that's not even my thing. Like I said, I'm not trying to say Grimes is an amazing recruiter. There are just a lot of dumb things said about him on here, like him getting "whooped" for Morris, so some of us feel the need to say that maybe he's not this useless waste of a paycheck that he's made out to be. As usual, the truth lies in the middle. But the middle is boring! So let's yell at each other some more! Better yet...

Image result for wrestling gif

hahaha WO WO WO YOU JUST GONNA do a drive by generalization shot to the groin to hugh nall like that?!??!!  DOWN GOES HUGH NALL!!! DOWN GOES HUGH NALL!!!!! Loof is getting his draymond green on!!! hahaha. WO WO!!! this is not the loof I know!!!! What is going on here?! up is down! down is up! I do not like it one bit. Sure by the most general of descriptions being more coach than recruiter they are the same but hugh nall is one of the best position coaches we have had recently who developed some real good nfl talent! 3 players under him were Pro Bowlers in Kendall Simmons, Marcus McNeil and Ben Grubbs. 3 more besides them were drafted from his OL. I think he deserves a little more credit than that. Grimes is a good coach but he is not close to hugh nall territory for muhhhhhhhhhhhhh. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

hahaha WO WO WO YOU JUST GONNA do a drive by generalization shot to the groin to hugh nall like that?!??!!  DOWN GOES HUGH NALL!!! DOWN GOES HUGH NALL!!!!! Loof is getting his draymond green on!!! hahaha. WO WO!!! this is not the loof I know!!!! What is going on here?! up is down! down is up! I do not like it one bit. Sure by the most general of descriptions being more coach than recruiter they are the same but hugh nall is one of the best position coaches we have had recently who developed some real good nfl talent! 3 players under him were Pro Bowlers in Kendall Simmons, Marcus McNeil and Ben Grubbs. 3 more besides them were drafted from his OL. I think he deserves a little more credit than that. Grimes is a good coach but he is not close to hugh nall territory for muhhhhhhhhhhhhh. 

So Nall had 6 draftees total? In 10 years? Is that right? 

JB has a piece of 3 so far, and this will be his 5th season under Gus. GRob was a top 5 pick who couldn't adjust to pro ball. Was it because he was poorly prepared or because Grimes did well to turn him into a top 5 pick? Smith just went in the 2nd round. I have no idea what Shon Coleman is up to but he was a 3rd rounder. So far, Grimes is easily on pace with Nall if it comes to draft picks and that number of 6 is accurate.

Remember, though. I asked you who recruited OL better than JB. I was just responding to the notion that Grimes got "whooped" if we don't get Morris, whose recruitment seems to have been mishandled by Auburn long before Grimes ever got here. We weren't even really in it, evidently, until after Grimes got here.  

And my dude, don't get so upset about people saying controversial things about Nall and TWill if you're going to semi-defend completely ignorant things said about Grimes. Also, Nall did go straight into trucking after Tubs got fired. I stand by the fact that he wanted none of what the SEC has become since saban put an end to him and Tommy T running all over a bama-less league.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So Nall had 6 draftees total? In 10 years? Is that right? 

JB has a piece of 3 so far, and this will be his 5th season under Gus. GRob was a top 5 pick who couldn't adjust to pro ball. Was it because he was poorly prepared or because Grimes did well to turn him into a top 5 pick? Smith just went in the 2nd round. I have no idea what Shon Coleman is up to but he was a 3rd rounder. So far, Grimes is easily on pace with Nall if it comes to draft picks and that number of 6 is accurate.

Remember, though. I asked you who recruited OL better than JB. I was just responding to the notion that Grimes got "whooped" if we don't get Morris, whose recruitment seems to have been mishandled by Auburn long before Grimes ever got here. We weren't even really in it, evidently, until after Grimes got here.  

And my dude, don't get so upset about people saying controversial things about Nall and TWill if you're going to semi-defend completely ignorant things said about Grimes. Also, Nall did go straight into trucking after Tubs got fired. I stand by the fact that he wanted none of what the SEC has become since saban put an end to him and Tommy T running all over a bama-less league.

3 of the 6 went on to be PRO BOWLERS!!! THAT is how you need to look at it from muhhhhhhhhh perspective!!!! that 50% clip is miiighty nice!!!!!! lol. And remember I was responding to you saying my description of hugh nall sounds the same as my description of JB which was they are good coaches more than they are recruiters!!! SO I had completely flipped the conversation back towards strictly coaching! WOOOO!!!! see this topsy turvy conversation has a lot of peaks and valleys! We need to pace ourselves.  lol If that number of 6 is accurate?! do you not believe me???? I thought we had a healthy and SKRRRRRRONG E friendship loof?! now there is trust issues?! WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON???? I do not like where this rollercoaster is going!  Besides the 3 pro bowlers Kendall Simmons, Marcus McNeil and Ben Grubbs the OL drafted under his watch were Jeno James, Mike Pucillo and THE KAAAAAAAAAANG. King Dunlap. You know I am not going to lie to you. It is NOT JUST because it does not fit my argument but I had never even thought to ever give grimes credit for G Rob because he only coached him for 1 year. But your argument will be WAYYYYYYYYUL in that 1 year he blew the heck up and became a first round pick. So that is a losing high stakes game for muhhhhhhhh. I will take the L and take a knee on that one. Good debate man. SEEEEEEEEEEEEEE not every debate in here has to get testy where the claws come out. WE SHOWED HIM HOW IT IS DONE. At the end of the day me and aujeff11 WANT TO BE WRONG!!!!! Omgsh we WANT jb grimes to come out and flex that crutin muscle and give us the middle finger and say HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW?!?!?!? HEY KOBE! How my $%& taste? lol.  Because that would be what is best for glory glory to ol AU!!! At the end of the day we all want what is best for AU. Me and aujeff11 do not want to be right just to be petty BECAUSE THAT WOULD NOT BE what is best for AU. HAVE A GREAT DAY LOOF!!!!!!! now lets go celebrate in the simpson thread!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Hope it is the start of a great week on the trail for us. CHEERS!

Archived