Deshaun: "We've got to finish"

WFE12

Deshaun: 'We've got to finish'

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports.com

AUBURN | The end of Auburn’s 2017 season still stings for Deshaun Davis.

The Tigers won huge November games over No. 1 Georgia and No. 1 Alabama only to fall in a rematch against the Bulldogs in the SEC Championship game. Then came an upset loss to UCF in the Peach Bowl.

“It’s something that we’ve talked about and it’s something we’re going to continue to talk about. I feel like that’s our edge now,” Davis said. “We went to the SEC Championship and it’s the first time this unit went to the SEC Championship. We got a taste of what it felt like to be there and now we want to get a taste of what it feels like to win.

“We were right on the brink of being in the Top 4 and playing for it all. We have the talent in the room, no doubt, but we have to find that inch to get better individually.”

Sl3oxua7jyvhjt2qsyfo
Davis is one of Auburn's key team leaders this season.
Todd Van Emst/Auburn athletics

Going into his senior season, Davis is determined to push himself and his teammates to reach those goals. For Davis, it started in the offseason as he lost about 10 pounds before the start of the spring practice.

“I want to play around 230,” Davis explained. “Last year I floated between 238 and 241. Before practice (Tuesday) I weighed in at 231. My goal is to try to get down to 227 and gain about three or four pounds of muscle over the summer so I can be a solid 230 and be able to fly around.”

Davis is slimming down because he believes the game is changing and he needs to change with it.

“I feel like I can gain a step or two to play better in space,” he said. “I don’t think I’m bad in space, but the game is just so fast now and a lot of things are played on the perimeter. I’m more of a thumper-type linebacker, but I do play well in space. I feel like me being light on my feet can help me as far as playing those fast teams like Ole Miss and Missouri and Texas A&M when we see guys like that. That was my whole purpose of it.”

And Davis said all the hard work he and his teammates are putting in this spring is with one goal in mind.

“We just know we’ve got to finish,” he said. “We had a pretty good year, had a lot of good players to go to the next level and a lot of good players came back. I feel like in this room we have whatever we want to do whatever we want. The players that are here that played last year, we have to take our game to the next level. The guys that weren’t here have to step up and fill the void.”

13 hours ago, corchjay said:

Think it's a great idea that Deshaun has lost some weight.  225-230 is much better then the 240 from last year.  

IIRC you were calling for this months ago. I actually thought about you when I read this. Good call, Coach. 

On 3/9/2018 at 10:16 AM, AUIH1 said:

I like his attitude.  I hope his HC has the same.

wde

I bet he doesn’t. The players are the only ones with this attitude. Leadership doesn’t start at the top or anything...

:inserts yellow font and an eye roll:

23 hours ago, AidiAU said:

I bet he doesn’t. The players are the only ones with this attitude. Leadership doesn’t start at the top or anything...

:inserts yellow font and an eye roll:

4d3b456c7e98506bf5a5b382e342d109--attitu

Archived