Hurts wears auburn jersey

aubiefifty

Jalen Hurts wears Auburn jersey, has fun with bet with Charles Barkley

Updated Mar 8, 5:43 PM; Posted Mar 8, 3:03 PM

Gallery: Jalen Hurts Profile

0 shares

By Rainer Sabin

rsabin@al.com

Jalen Hurts in an Auburn jersey? Surprising.

Fans got to see the Alabama quarterback in enemy garb Thursday.

Hurts was sporting War Eagle blue to make good on a bet with famous Auburn alumnus Charles Barkley after the Tide fell to the Tigers, 26-14, in the most recent edition of the Iron Bowl.

The loser of the wager between Barkley and Hurts would have to wear the jersey of their rival.

Hurts was more in control of the outcome, but he struggled on that November day, throwing for 112 yards and completing only 12 of 22 pass attempts.

Months later, Hurts sucked it up and held up his end of the bargain -- but not before delivering a blow to Barkley and the Auburn family. In a video posted on Twitter, Hurts picks up an Alabama gym bag that holds the national championship trophy the Crimson Tide claimed by beating Georgia in the College Football Playoff title game. 

Hurts flashes a wry smile and says, "Roll Tide."

It was his way of having the last laugh.

I'm sorry, but I just can't help but to get a little irritated with him not just paying his bet debt... instead, he decides to do what he wants with the situation...to take that chance to condescend our fanbase and  thumb their nose at us.  And people glorify this type of behavior more and more there days.  No wonder people feel like the idea of respect in this world has gone by the wayside.  And yes, I know...Get off my lawn, right.  

I'm not bothered by what he did at all.  If the situation were reversed I'm betting most if not all Auburn fans would love taking a jab at Bama. Charles would have had the last laugh if he had lost the bet too. 

27 minutes ago, AUVic said:

Apparently, he had to borrow Tua"s backpack.

Considering he wouldn't have a trophy to carry if Tua hadn't gone in for him and that might be the best retort Sir Charles could have for this. Hurts wasn't going to win that trophy with his play that night. 

3 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

I'm sorry, but I just can't help but to get a little irritated with him not just paying his bet debt... instead, he decides to do what he wants with the situation...to take that chance to condescend our fanbase and  thumb their nose at us.  And people glorify this type of behavior more and more there days.  No wonder people feel like the idea of respect in this world has gone by the wayside.  And yes, I know...Get off my lawn, right.  

Respect.

It's so odd that you see it as a lack of respect, and I see it as a joke resulting from some trivial bet between a 19 yr old kid and one of the funniest, lighthearted guys in the country. 

Charles is many things but above them all he is clown and a jokster/prankster.  Watch his SNL from last weekend, the guy is hilarious. I laughed til I cried.

LOL, is this for real? Is there a part in the video where Jalen set the Auburn jersey on fire? There must be based on this reaction. Its good light-hearted fun. Him putting on the Auburn jersey was plenty. Imagine Stidham wearing an Alabama jersey, no thanks! Props to Sir Charles and Jalen for keeping the rivalry respectful.

4 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

It’s not that serious bro.

11 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

LOL, is this for real? Is there a part in the video where Jalen set the Auburn jersey on fire? There must be based on this reaction. Its good light-hearted fun. Him putting on the Auburn jersey was plenty. Imagine Stidham wearing an Alabama jersey, no thanks! Props to Sir Charles and Jalen for keeping the rivalry respectful.

Oh, I can promise you it's FOR REAL and as serious as a heart attack. 

You'd think with the decades s#it slinging and lack of respect Auburn has always gotten from the national media and from our own conference foe, that AU fans would have thicker skin than this.  We are a battle tested, weathered fan base and we're tried and true no matter the circumstances.  And yet we still have a delicate and sensitive bunch that can't take a lighthearted joke without getting irritated and offended. :-\

Mercy!  I've seen and heard Charles Barkley disparage, and criticize Auburn on a much much worse scale in a public forum in the past.

This is really funny. As an Auburn fan, I can still respect a good troll. Hurts and Tua are Class A type guys - sucks they have to play for a program like Bama under a coach like Saban. 

i respect the kid for wearing the jersey. that would be hard for many players to do. i bet some bama players would refuse. and as far as that natty he was carrying they did not beat us to win it so i take no issue with it. jalen was a good sport and i am sure he used the trophy to save face for himself more than slamming auburn. i would bet money jalen will catch hell for years over wearing that jersey. i am just happy he kept his word............i bet charles has no problem with it.

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i respect the kid for wearing the jersey. that would be hard for many players to do. i bet some bama players would refuse. and as far as that natty he was carrying they did not beat us to win it so i take no issue with it. jalen was a good sport and i am sure he used the trophy to save face for himself more than slamming auburn. i would bet money jalen will catch hell for years over wearing that jersey. i am just happy he kept his word............i bet charles has no problem with it.

I still want to see a picture of him actually wearing it around campus and not just in an empty hallway on video :)

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I still want to see a picture of him actually wearing it around campus and not just in an empty hallway on video :)

That might actually be dangerous.

...not joking.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

...not joking.

i have worried about that myself. he lost a game and a lot of bama fans were calling him the n word. lets hope it stays light.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

...not joking.

Not for Jalen, just any trees that he has in his yard. 

I don't have a problem with him trolling... 

Put me in a bammer jersey and I'd probably burst into flames.

....again, not joking.

...well, maybe this time :-\

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

...not joking.

depends on what campus

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Oh, I can promise you it's FOR REAL and as serious as a heart attack. 

You'd think with the decades s#it slinging and lack of respect Auburn has always gotten from the national media and from our own conference foe, that AU fans would have thicker skin than this.  We are a battle tested, weathered fan base and we're tried and true no matter the circumstances.  And yet we still have a delicate and sensitive bunch that can't take a lighthearted joke without getting irritated and offended. :-\

Mercy!  I've seen and heard Charles Barkley disparage, and criticize Auburn on a much much worse scale in a public forum in the past.

Some people on both sides of this rivalry are so emotionally invested in it, and the team in general, that I often find it disturbing.  Hurts came to play in Jordan-Hare, did not have a particularly good night, and the team he leads almost got eliminated from the Playoff by losing.  He put on the right colors for once, and just gave us some light ribbing in good fun.  I will wait until he goes all Baker Mayfield and plants the Alabama flag in the midfield AU.  Until then, I can take a "you won the battle, but we won the war" joke.

I thought he handled this perfectly.  If you can't smile at this, perhaps we take some of this a bit too seriously.  I am glad he carried out his end of the bet, and I love that he did it with a good attitude and had fun with it.  Other than the jersey he wears, I have nothing but respect for this kid, the way he carries himself, the way he plays the game, and the way he has handled some very difficult circumstances.   He is a winner - he may not be the best QB, but he is a winner.  

6 hours ago, Tigerfinz said:

You have issues.

It's not like it was his first time to have an Auburn jersey on. He was covered up by them several times during the Iron Bowl. :)

1511677897_7773.jpg

Class Act. And it gives him experience wearing another team jersey. Something I imagine will be relevant shortly

Archived