Men vs Alabama

tgrogan21

42 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

1 thing we have got to do when we are not hitting our 3's is force the tempo. Instead of Harper walking the ball up the court he needs to run it up. We play our worst when the tempo is slowest and we run the play clock inside 10 seconds. We play our optimum best offense when we only work the clock about 10-15 seconds.

When we had McLemore we had enough bodies to press a lot and it wore other teams down. Once we lost him we went from a 9 man rotation to an 8 man. That extra man allows you to play at a faster pace and still be fresh. That is why you have not seen as much pressing once he was hurt. Plus when he was back there if they broke the press he was able to change the dynamic on the break with his shot blocking ability and his quickness. Spencer plays hard and it a good player but does nothave the same dynamic impact of defense as McLemore.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this was not bama I would not even be that mad. We clearly need rest more than anything. Our guards are starting to wear down from carrying the team this whole year. Hopefully next week we get the fri/sun slot instead of thur/sat to give us more rest. This could be the best thing to happen to this team. I thought we would be 1 and done honestly in the ncaa tourney and get upset but now with the extra much needed rest to heal some bumps, bruises and multiple bryce brown injuries I think we get to the sweet 16 or elite 8!!! WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!! Next week is going to be fun. *P.S.* People filling out their bracket are going to fall in love with bama now and pick them to win some games in the tourney because of their sec tourney showing so far. MARK MY WORDS they will be 1 and done.

44 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Some of us were discussing how we would be fine with an early exit for more rest time for a longer run in the NCAA—and now we got it. More rest time for everyone. 

In a pre-game discussion, Coach Pearl's main concern was that we hadn't played in six days and would be stale. We didn't need rest, we needed to play and win then play some more and win some more. A week off between games is not good, particularly when the team is so depleted that they have to hold "soft" practices.

54 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Gotta tip my hat to Colin Sexton. We already knew kid is a baller but his last 24 hours have been incredible.

So much for @GwillMac6 and I saying "hold everyone else and make 1 guy beat our team and we have a good shot"...well Sexton is an elite talent.

We have no shot if 2 of our 3 guards have off games and today Harper and Bryce were off today -- and Mustapha was solid but not great. Shake it off, put it behind us and lets go on a run starting next week. Depending on matchups we can still very much be a Sweet 16 team

when we lose this holds true.

And even more so. if Harper is not running the offense effectively, we struggle to score too.

But geez, to not score a goal in over 10 mins from the team that routinely scores over 80? 

Can't begin to describe how disgusted I felt that 2nd half. Other than:

1. AU coming out with no urgency, focus, enthusiasm, or killer instinct in the 2nd half, and 

2. Bama hitting some shots that didn't fall in the 1st half,

I ask...What happened?

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If this was not bama I would not even be that mad. We clearly need rest more than anything. Our guards are starting to wear down from carrying the team this whole year. Hopefully next week we get the fri/sun slot instead of thur/sat to give us more rest. This could be the best thing to happen to this team. I thought we would be 1 and done honestly in the ncaa tourney and get upset but now with the extra much needed rest to heal some bumps, bruises and multiple bryce brown injuries I think we get to the sweet 16 or elite 8!!! WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!! Next week is going to be fun. *P.S.* People filling out their bracket are going to fall in love with bama now and pick them to win some games in the tourney because of their sec tourney showing so far. MARK MY WORDS they will be 1 and done.

We had 6 days rest for the SEC tournament. Don't think wearing our guards down is the issue. 

Alabama is the best defensive team in the league. When we could shoot the ball in the first 4 minutes of the second half, and Alabama got their energy going thru Sexton and they started hitting their 3's, we didnt respond with the same energy. I think we were surprised a little, as we had it under control.

And when Harper doesn't run the offense well, we lose....

4 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Can't begin to describe how disgusted I felt that 2nd half. Other than:

1. AU coming out with no urgency, focus, enthusiasm, or killer instinct in the 2nd half, and 

2. Bama hitting some shots that didn't fall in the 1st half,

I ask...What happened?

Looks like you answered your own question pretty well.

Just now, steeleagle said:

We had 6 days rest for the SEC tournament. Don't think wearing our guards down is the issue. 

Alabama is the best defensive team in the league. When we could shoot the ball in the first 4 minutes of the second half, and Alabama got their energy going thru Sexton and they started hitting their 3's, we didnt respond with the same energy. I think we were surprised a little, as we had it under control.

And when Harper doesn't run the offense well, we lose....

Harper and Bryce like we talked about above have not played well on the road since at georgia. They were both bad at south carolina, florida and arky. And then this neutral floor game. That is my only concern heading in to next week. I think we just need to commit fully to small ball and get even more spacing on the floor and not start spencer. We have nothing to lose. Playing with house money.

Becoming resigned to the fact that we just really aren't that good of a team anymore. Potentially disappointing finish to an otherwise incredible season. Hopeful that if we can get all of our guys back next year and if Purifoy and Wiley choose to come back for one more year than we should be a top 15 team next year. 

Not being competitive at all second half is the most disappointing. This team needs to decide who they want to be. The team that throttled uat

or the one that got steamrolled today. Teams we play in the tournament are better than the updykes.

Well, this was most disappointing. Hate the team was so flat and uninspired in the 2nd half.

On the bright side, this team overachieved the entire season until this game. Can’t wait for 2018-2019!

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In a pre-game discussion, Coach Pearl's main concern was that we hadn't played in six days and would be stale. We didn't need rest, we needed to play and win then play some more and win some more. A week off between games is not good, particularly when the team is so depleted that they have to hold "soft" practices.

I'm with you Mikey. Bama had an advantage over us today b/c they played yesterday, were already used to this floor a little more than us, and had momentum going into today. If we don't play our game (up tempo offense) tired or not, we don't have much of a chance against anybody bc of our lack of size anyway.

I didn’t get to watch the game, but listened to it on the radio. It sounds like we were a completely different team the second half. A disgusting loss amplified by the fact that it was against bama who some were saying might not even make the ncaas a week ago.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Too many references to the loss of McLemore. We were bad today. Anfernee was not the excuse to use. 

Gotta disagree.....this has not been the same team since he got hurt....lost 4 of the 6 games against conference teams since his injury.  Like today, teams have just gone to the hoop without fear.....something they could not do with AMc in the game.    JMO but it is probably a good thing that we pretty well nailed down a good NCAA seed before his injury or we would likely be down a couple more notches.....and may yet be. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yeah what the heck? Some talking points for ESPN though .

BIG NOTHING....just something for ESPN to yack about until time for the next game...

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gotta disagree.....this has not been the same team since he got hurt....lost 4 of the 6 games against conference teams since his injury.  Like today, teams have just gone to the hoop without fear.....something they could not do with AMc in the game.    JMO but it is probably a good thing that we pretty well nailed down a good NCAA seed before his injury or we would likely be down a couple more notches.....and may yet be. 

I gotta agree with you. I thought when Anfernee got hurt that he was probably the 1 guy we could not afford to lose. Yes, our guards are our stars, but we have several of them who can light up the scoreboard (& usually have). Not so with our bigs. With Wiley out, we were already playing our 2nd team big man. With Anfernee out, we're essentially down to a 3rd team guy, & it's just not been the same, especially on defense. So, as others have noted, even when our shooters were off, with Anfernee we could play D well enough to keep us in games until shots started falling. Since he's been out, we've needed the energy of Auburn Arena to get our guards, & especially our freshmen, to play even better. Outside the Arena we've not been the same at all. Seems to me our young guys must learn to find that energy within themselves.

Even so, the lack of fight we showed in the 2nd half today is disheartening & puzzling. We've gotten down big on the road--at SC & at Ark for ex.--& fought back to make a game of it. But today I saw no fight at all. I hope our guys take this to heart for themselves. Being mad at SEC selections didn't help. Maybe they need to be mad at themselves. Win or lose next weekend, I want us to play with the fire we've showed all season until today. We have a lot to be proud of, so I sure don't want the season to end feeling like this feels today.

A loss I could handle, even to Bammer. The lack of energy and enthusiasm in the second half was *really* disappointing though (and inexplicable). Whatever caused that I hope they got it out of their system today. And, I agree with all of the above posts emphasizing how important a cog AM was in the machine; really missing him. Heck, now I’m just hoping for at least one win in the tourney

Today was the first time this season it seemed we let missing shots on the offensive end affect how we played on the defensive end.  Not just defense but hustle getting back down the court.  With AM out it's just to easy to score in the paint.  We can body up a few times but fouls start piling up then we move to zone which we are ok at but give up way to many second chance opportunities.  Bryce really let his shooting affect his attitude today.  Jared didn't seem as urgent to get to the rim.  I know we live and die by the 3 ball but being we are undersized we need to drill the paint with drives to get their starters in foul trouble and run their 2s up and down the court.  

Maybe the team felt a little over confident maybe a little to comfortable.  It happens.  

Bruce has also said some of our rough play has been because of no contact practices because he doesn't want anyone to get hurt.  I think we need to get back to some contact now.  It's do or die either way at this point.

Does anybody else just feel flat after today? I don’t try and let games handle my emotions but darn it it’s hard to watch a team play so good all season, then see a re-run of the last 15 years of auburn basketball prior to this one in the second half? Hope this team still realizes they are playing for a national title, as amazing as that sounds. Hope they still realize that everything is in front of them, and a few short, inspired days of ball can get you to the promised land. I’m certainly not counting these guys out of any game they’re playing in the tournament. We’re just going to HAVE to get all-around good, fundamental production. 

Now that I’ve had time to think.....Pearl just set us up for the sweet 16. ?

Go Cats!

Late to the party I know, with work I just got to watch the game.  This was hard to watch, BUT the rest can help us for the tournament.  Our biggest strength is our speed, and with 7 players, in order to play to our strength we need to be well rested.  Sky isn’t falling. 

3 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Does anybody else just feel flat after today? I don’t try and let games handle my emotions but darn it it’s hard to watch a team play so good all season, then see a re-run of the last 15 years of auburn basketball prior to this one in the second half? Hope this team still realizes they are playing for a national title, as amazing as that sounds. Hope they still realize that everything is in front of them, and a few short, inspired days of ball can get you to the promised land. I’m certainly not counting these guys out of any game they’re playing in the tournament. We’re just going to HAVE to get all-around good, fundamental production. 

Yes, I feel flat. Sigh...

7 hours ago, alexava said:

Classlessness at its best. 

7 hours ago, alexava said:

It wasn’t Cochran. It was a dumpy guy with a ponytail. 

I watched the replay, to be honest, it looked like Coach Pearl taking out some frustration. Who knows what was said though

4 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I feel ya. I'm about to make alot if people mad Again on this board, but we live and die by the three. Not just jump shots, but the THREE. It gets our offense going. It gets certain players going and our offense revolves around it to some extent. 

We need other avenues to get us going. We have the back screen on occasion but it's just one play. I hope we can find fire in the tourney because it's that or bust at this point

24 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I watched the replay, to be honest, it looked like Coach Pearl taking out some frustration. Who knows what was said though

Yes, Coach seemed to engage him. I suspect he was running his pie hole and Bruce stepped up on him. 

Archived