Softball vs. LSU

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perry strikes out swinging.   2 outs.    Casey McCrackin coming up as the last chance for Auburn

McCrackin lines it to short, diving stop and she drops it and Auburn is still alive.   Runners on 1st and 2nd for Alyssa Rivera.

Two hits this inning and two outs....Rivera a chance to change the weekend..

Rivera took a couple big cuts but could not bring 'em in......a rough weekend.....and three one run loses.   AU has a good team and has good prospects for the season in my view.   

It's tough to start conference play against possibly the best pitchers, best leadoff batter and best cleanup hitter, in one of the toughest places to play.  It should be a good learning experience for our young team.  We'll be OK but it doesn't get any easier next week against UAT.  At least we get them at home.  War Eagle Girls!!!

We are about the same as LSU, and could easily have won one or two of these games.  Our basic weakness is hitting, obviously.  Sure wish Glassco could have stayed with us.  Maybe tomorrow's doubleheader at Southern Miss will help us.  We don't have a batter in our lineup that anyone would intentionally walk.  Taylon Snow may become one.

Osorio is better than Hoover, so no relief in sight there.  We've been facing Osorio since 2015, and haven't beaten her yet.  At least we  won't have some jackass right behind the plate yelling while our players are trying to hit.  Very unsportsmanlike.

16 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

We are about the same as LSU, and could easily have won one or two of these games.  Our basic weakness is hitting, obviously.  Sure wish Glassco could have stayed with us.  Maybe tomorrow's doubleheader at Southern Miss will help us.  We don't have a batter in our lineup that anyone would intentionally walk.  Taylon Snow may become one.

Osorio is better than Hoover, so no relief in sight there.  We've been facing Osorio since 2015, and haven't beaten her yet.  At least we  won't have some jackass right behind the plate yelling while our players are trying to hit.  Very unsportsmanlike.

I just cannot stand Osorio. I'll be glad when she's gone. 

29 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

The guy behind the plate was driving me crazy. He had to bother the hitters also.  

We will likely see Osorio all three games.  She may not start all three games but we will see her.  Her rise ball is better than Hoover's.  When it is on she basically is unhittable.  Ask Boston College and Fordham.  She had like 100 Ks this weekend. 

Having trouble hitting good pitching makes for a long season in the SEC.  When you go on the road and only score 4 runs in 28 innings, you might as well give the home team a broom for the “sweep”

Hope things get better on offense against the SEC

49 minutes ago, aucolonel said:

Having trouble hitting good pitching makes for a long season in the SEC.  When you go on the road and only score 4 runs in 28 innings, you might as well give the home team a broom for the “sweep”

While I get you're point, LSU only scored 1 more run per game at their place. 2 of those wins could have easily flipped if it weren't for the 2 new controversial rule changes that didn't go our way (the correct calls were made though). I am just saying we were very close to winning the series.  I definitely think the team can gain confidence from these games this weekend. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

While I get you're point, LSU only scored 1 more run per game at their place. 2 of those wins could have easily flipped if it weren't for the 2 new controversial rule changes that didn't go our way (the correct calls were made though). I am just saying we were very close to winning the series.  I definitely think the team can gain confidence from these games this weekend. 

I think we have a solid team that will only get better.  It’s tough starting against those two pitchers.  Our ladies are very athletic and fun to watch.  They play great softball.  I’m looking forward to the rest of the season.  War Eagle 

Are there any restrictions to the # of innings softball pitchers can pitch or is it just unlimited?

7 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Are there any restrictions to the # of innings softball pitchers can pitch or is it just unlimited?

Unlimited. 

2 hours ago, aucolonel said:

We have to keep in mind that we are very young and inexperienced at most positions.  Draper is the only fielder that played her position the entire season last year.  Veach, Rivera, Shea, McCraken and Podany had many at bats last year but none had full seasons as starters.  We also have a new hitting coach that will take a while for him and the girls to adjust.  We will be fine but there won't be many 7-8 run games in conference play.  

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

Just look up Paige Parker from 2 years ago when we faced her in World Series. They basically pitched her til her arm fell off. She started every postseason game except game 2 of championship series.  

Hopefully this is premature, but I'm concerned about our new coach. New rules that the players apparently didn't have drilled into them cost us important plays in two games.

In game two, pitching to LSU's best hitter with the winning run on second, first base open and two outs in the bottom of the 7th inning was inexplicable. The next batter's average was .243. You don't pitch to a .440 hitter in those circumstances. That's basic baseball/softball.

Other than Draper's batting average, I'm not seeing a lot of improvement in individuals. McCrackin is her usual outstanding self in the field but that's nothing new.

One bright spot, we are stealing bases at a record clip. However, as today's game indicates, before you can steal a base, somebody has to get on.

Somebody show me where I'm wrong and make me feel better about the future. These three TV games are all I've seen this season but they give me some serious concern.

10 hours ago, around4ever said:

We have to keep in mind that we are very young and inexperienced at most positions.  Draper is the only fielder that played her position the entire season last year.  Veach, Rivera, Shea, McCraken and Podany had many at bats last year but none had full seasons as starters.  We also have a new hitting coach that will take a while for him and the girls to adjust.  We will be fine but there won't be many 7-8 run games in conference play.  

Also, it is not as though we were a great hitting team last year and our best returning hitter transferred.  

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Hopefully this is premature, but I'm concerned about our new coach. New rules that the players apparently didn't have drilled into them cost us important plays in two games.

In game two, pitching to LSU's best hitter with the winning run on second, first base open and two outs in the bottom of the 7th inning was inexplicable. The next batter's average was .243. You don't pitch to a .440 hitter in those circumstances. That's basic baseball/softball.

Other than Draper's batting average, I'm not seeing a lot of improvement in individuals. McCrackin is her usual outstanding self in the field but that's nothing new.

One bright spot, we are stealing bases at a record clip. However, as today's game indicates, before you can steal a base, somebody has to get on.

Somebody show me where I'm wrong and make me feel better about the future. These three TV games are all I've seen this season but they give me some serious concern.

If you are referring to the blocking/obstruction call, I have seen them practice that play according to the new rule.  I believe it was one of those plays that happens in the heat of the moment.  I suspect everyone knows it and practices the correct position but we are going to see it get called some more this year.  There is still going to be controversy as to what constitutes obstruction in terms of when the catcher received the ball.  Those plays happen so fast.  Like yourself, I did not understand not walking the .440 hitter in that situation.  What has bothered me a bit is that when I see the team in the dugout they do not appear to have the spirit I have seen on display in years past.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like to see players acting silly/crazy but sometimes they appear almost disinterested or not involved in the game.  Maybe I am trying to over analyze.   

11 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

........  What has bothered me a bit is that when I see the team in the dugout they do not appear to have the spirit I have seen on display in years past.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like to see players acting silly/crazy but sometimes they appear almost disinterested or not involved in the game.  Maybe I am trying to over analyze.   

We are seeing the same thing in the dugout. Not quite sure what to make of it yet, but it can't be a positive thing.

I'm glad they have practiced on the obstruction rule, even if the practice hasn't paid off yet. I hate that rule and not because it hurt Auburn. It's contrary to how things have been on the Diamond for over 120 years. Helluva throw by the outfielder, helluva play by the catcher and it's all washed away by the "rule". Can't even blame the ump, he made the correct call because of the way the rule is written. :(

Archived