Softball vs. LSU

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We are seeing the same thing in the dugout. Not quite sure what to make of it yet, but it can't be a positive thing.

I'm glad they have practiced on the obstruction rule, even if the practice hasn't paid off yet. I hate that rule and not because it hurt Auburn. It's contrary to how things have been on the Diamond for over 120 years. Helluva throw by the outfielder, helluva play by the catcher and it's all washed away by the "rule". Can't even blame the ump, he made the correct call because of the way the rule is written. :(

Guess I can't blame the player too much either...ball was off line and took her across the base path....and I expect two major thoughts in her mind were "catch the ball" and "tag the runner without dropping it".   In the heat of the moment and a bang-bang play there was not much time (maybe a millisecond) to see that she was not violating a rule that is still subject to some interpretation.   

Just looking at the re-play, if  Shea had positioned herself so as not to be blocking the plate, she would never had been able to make the tag.    And some credit (or blame) to the runner who deviated slightly to run into Shea and made it an "interference" call.    Wonder if she was coached to make that kind of contact since the rule definitely favors the runner now?  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, around4ever said:

We have to keep in mind that we are very young and inexperienced at most positions.  Draper is the only fielder that played her position the entire season last year.  Veach, Rivera, Shea, McCraken and Podany had many at bats last year but none had full seasons as starters.  We also have a new hitting coach that will take a while for him and the girls to adjust.  We will be fine but there won't be many 7-8 run games in conference play.  

Veach was a full year starter, Shea pretty much was one as well.

Some thoughts:

1- Shea caught every inning, almost 4 full games worth, not ideal.

2- Only 1 walk all weekend by our hitters, and the season walk numbers are down a ton from last year, not a good sign.

3- Alyssa Rivera's swing has gotten a lot bigger this year. It's a lot prettier too imo, but it seems unlikely to be more successful against good SEC pitching. She's also throwing the ball around like a maniac from the OF. Again, she's got a gun, but she's got to be smarter with it.

4- Draper's instincts and decision making in the OF are superb.

5- The pitching has been excellent of course, and the switch from a pitch to contact to a strikeout approach is definitely smart.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Hopefully this is premature, but I'm concerned about our new coach. New rules that the players apparently didn't have drilled into them cost us important plays in two games.

In game two, pitching to LSU's best hitter with the winning run on second, first base open and two outs in the bottom of the 7th inning was inexplicable. The next batter's average was .243. You don't pitch to a .440 hitter in those circumstances. That's basic baseball/softball.

Other than Draper's batting average, I'm not seeing a lot of improvement in individuals. McCrackin is her usual outstanding self in the field but that's nothing new.

One bright spot, we are stealing bases at a record clip. However, as today's game indicates, before you can steal a base, somebody has to get on.

Somebody show me where I'm wrong and make me feel better about the future. These three TV games are all I've seen this season but they give me some serious concern.

Re the obstruction rule:  I'm not at all sure that the fact Shea got called means she didn't know the new rule.  I think it means it's virtually impossible to throw someone out on a bang-bang play at home anymore.  Winner:  the runner.  Loser:  The game.

I totally agree with your statement about pitching to Doyle.  Additionally, when he did choose to walk her on Sunday in bot 4, leading to the 3-2-4 double play, he acted as though it was an extraordinary decision on his part in the on-field interview.  It was an automatic to me, just like the night before.  Aside:  Great play by Perry, Shea, and McCrackin to turn that DP and snuff out the rally.

I do believe that Shea,Veach, and Podany are hitting a little better this year..  And of course Perry is, as she's now getting significant innings.  McCrackin is showing more power, but I expected that from her late-season performance last year.  We'll see how all that holds up as the season progresses.

As the new HC in a highly visible sport, CMD is under the microscope as he goes through his learning curve re coaching in the SEC.  I hope I remember that and curb any "rush to judgment" on my part. 

I would like to see our girls swing at the first pitch more. Especially against pitchers with good control like LSU have. We started off way too many counts 0-1, when most of their pitches were right down the middle about belt high. Our hitters need to be more aggressive on that first pitch or it's going to be a long frustrating year.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

I would like to see our girls swing at the first pitch more. Especially against pitchers with good control like LSU have. We started off way too many counts 0-1, when most of their pitches were right down the middle about belt high. Our hitters need to be more aggressive on that first pitch or it's going to be a long frustrating year.

Last year they were often down 0-2 when released to take a swing.  Clint seemed to have a similar philosophy but these days.....opposition coaches know the "take" is on and allow they pitchers to grove their first pitches....and maybe the second pitch also.   Agree...hitters need to be a little less predictable.

On the obstruction call, the throw pulled Shea into blocking the plate, had she not moved to catch the ball, it would have been past her, so I think she did all she could do on the play.  Ump made the right call under the circumstances.  I disagree with the no-call earlier on interference.  That is where it hurt us.

On Walks, sure seemed Myers pushed to get walks and make the pitchers come to us.  This year seems to be more aggressive on offense, which includes swinging more.  Not sure why we are not attacking more first pitch strikes.  Notice that LSU did that with some success, they hit first pitch strikes.

Glad CMD learned to walk Doyle and take chances with lower hitting batters.  However, the law of averages is just that and sometimes you pitch to the power hitter because she doesn't always hit 1.000 and sometimes the 0.245 hitter gets a hit.  I think he made the wrong call on Saturday but did the right call on Sunday.

I just hope the girls realize that LSU is one of the tougher teams in the league with some great pitching and not get down on themselves about it overall.  Still a long season ahead and I look forward to watching this gritting team win some exciting games.

4 hours ago, slot canyon said:

If you are referring to the blocking/obstruction call, I have seen them practice that play according to the new rule.  I believe it was one of those plays that happens in the heat of the moment.  I suspect everyone knows it and practices the correct position but we are going to see it get called some more this year.  There is still going to be controversy as to what constitutes obstruction in terms of when the catcher received the ball.  Those plays happen so fast.  Like yourself, I did not understand not walking the .440 hitter in that situation.  What has bothered me a bit is that when I see the team in the dugout they do not appear to have the spirit I have seen on display in years past.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like to see players acting silly/crazy but sometimes they appear almost disinterested or not involved in the game.  Maybe I am trying to over analyze.   

I have noticed this as well.  I'm not sure of the reason. I do know Sydney Waldrop and Emily Spain were two of the dugout leaders the last couple of years and they are gone.  Draper doesn't seem to have the same dugout energy she has had in the past.  

I think if Shea stood out of the baseline and caught the ball right before a tag (very hard to do with the angle), she would have broke her arm when the runner plowed through it. 

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

Last year they were often down 0-2 when released to take a swing.  Clint seemed to have a similar philosophy but these days.....opposition coaches know the "take" is on and allow they pitchers to grove their first pitches....and maybe the second pitch also.   Agree...hitters need to be a little less predictable.

Along those lines,what about an occasional green light on the 3-0 for somebody like Veach?  She was up in that situation against Gorsuch, I think, the other night.  took one down the middle.  Yeah, sometimes they throw ball four in that situation; especially if they've just entered the game.  I guess the downside is, batter could pop out on ball 4.  Need a really disciplined hitter at the plate.  On second thought, maybe not Veach.  I think I saw Myers greenlight Carosone a time or two, but can't recall anyone else.

Archived