Auburn gets the shaft on NCAA Tourney Location

BHDAU1

Hey I am well aware of Auburns recent struggles on the court and so is everyone else, but that doesnt take away from the fact they won the regular season conference title. Did any of the other conference champs get placed/seeded so far away from their home state? Seems to me that California pretty much guarantees that little to no student body will get to go to the game.  They literally could not have been put anywhere further away!

28753256_162725634385094_835563232772803

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Charleston win their conference? Im not sure what auburnphan is LOLing about.  Its a legitimate gripe I think.  First time in 15 years Auburn fans, alumni like myself, and students have to chance to support Auburn in the NCAA tourney and we will have to fly to Cali to do it.  Just stinks is all, I had planned on going if anywhere even remotely close to the eastern half of the country...

Clemson out there too...so few teams from the west qualified that they had to fill the brackets from the south. ..and out late season swoon did not help. 

But with games being played mid week, students are not going to be present for the majority of games. Gotta play this like a neutral court game....and likely a small crowd too.   They just need to and take care of business and not treat it like a vacation or reward. 

And I should have specified in my original post, major conference champions, not mid majors. 

If you will look at the bracket, the only 2 locations for the 4,5 seed were San Diego or Boise. There were no games closer to go to as those seeds. 

I like our bracket as far as match ups go, just hate where they are playing it. 

Just now, BHDAU1 said:

And I should have specified in my original post, major conference champions, not mid majors. 

technically we tied....but that meant nothing as you see....it's about ranking.... and losing 4 games at the end of the season took us from a possible one seed to where we ended up.  Nobody to blame for that......and just happy to be playing this week. .....anywhere. 

Hey trust me, I am very happy AU made the dance. I grew up in Lexington Ky where basketball is a religion. I always preferred and played football instead but i certainly enjoyed basketball. I was at Auburn from 98 to 02 and only missed a few home games during that entire span. I was a Cliff Dweler. Since becoming an adult with a family and responsibilities there has been very little to get excited about in AU B Ball.  

I finally have my own business and the means and time to take my family to a Auburn basketball game in the NCAA tourney, and its too far away to be a realistic option. Bummer.  

44 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

Did Charleston win their conference? Im not sure what auburnphan is LOLing about.  Its a legitimate gripe I think.  First time in 15 years Auburn fans, alumni like myself, and students have to chance to support Auburn in the NCAA tourney and we will have to fly to Cali to do it.  Just stinks is all, I had planned on going if anywhere even remotely close to the eastern half of the country...

For one the NCAA Tournament recognizes Tournament Champs for automatic qualifiers.  All other teams go into a pool and get placed according to their ranking, if u think they give a crap about where any 4 seed is going you have lost your mind.  It never has been nor ever will be any different.  Heck Wisconsin was a 1 seed and had to play in the West a couple of years ago, hate to see how you would have reacted if that was Auburn this year.  Saying the system shafted you when you don't understand the system is pretty darn funny to me, hence the LOL!!!    WDE(wish you could have flown your family out there but there will be plenty more opportunities as long as Bruce is here!!)

Will Wiley and Purifoy be allowed to travel with the team? This team needs a great xperience to prepare them for next year.

Meh. Xavier won their conference and is a #1 seed pretty far from home. Not everybody can play geographically close to home. I like our draw and could easily see a couple of wins if we play to our ability. San Diego seems like a pretty good reward for the team honestly. And, nobody in our draw should have any kind of home court advantage

The likely chance of going deep into the tourney is like zero so why not let the players go someplace they have likely never been. San Diego is probably the nicest site this time of year. So looking at it strictly from a player's viewpoint San Diego is a great site.

1 hour ago, BHDAU1 said:

I finally have my own business and the means and time to take my family to a Auburn basketball game in the NCAA tourney, and its too far away to be a realistic option. Bummer.  

Hope for the sweet 16....that should be closer....if I read it right, win two games and it would be Omaha... 

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hope for the sweet 16....that should be closer....if I read it right, win two games and it would be Omaha... 

You're correct. The region titles are really a misnomer until you get to the Sweet 16 where they come into play.

South = Atlanta

East = Boston

Midwest = Omaha

West = Los Angeles 

I’m glad we’re in it. This team deserves a shot at finishing it the right way....fighting like hell.

If I was still in college, I would organize the greatest road trip to San Diego.  It would be a week long expedition across the nation and it would be awesome.

Auburnphan, I must have misunderstood how it works. For some reason I was thinking I heard that the higher your seed the better chance you have of playing geographically closer to home. Our seed indicates we were top 16, which I would think would place us somewhere a lot closer than San Diego. Well, it is what it is. Maybe if Auburn gets back to playing the way they are capable they will make it to Omaha. 

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If I was still in college, I would organize the greatest road trip to San Diego.  It would be a week long expedition across the nation and it would be awesome.

Funding?

37 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

Auburnphan, I must have misunderstood how it works. For some reason I was thinking I heard that the higher your seed the better chance you have of playing geographically closer to home. Our seed indicates we were top 16, which I would think would place us somewhere a lot closer than San Diego. Well, it is what it is. Maybe if Auburn gets back to playing the way they are capable they will make it to Omaha. 

Site selection in the men's tournament: Host cities bid, the sites are selected and then the teams are selected and placed in appropriate slots without regard to geography. On the women's side, first round games were played on the higher-seeded team's home court. Maybe that's where your info got off track?

36 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

There are 8 host sites and 2 pods at each site. The 1 and 2 seeds were given geographical preference (i.e. Villanova in Pittsburgh, Virginia in Charlotte, Kansas in Wichita). 

The 3 and 4 seeds were given whatever was left. Tennessee did get Dallas as a 3, and the 4 seeds were sent West to San Diego and Boise. 

Archived