Auburn gets the shaft on NCAA Tourney Location

BHDAU1

1 hour ago, BHDAU1 said:

Auburnphan, I must have misunderstood how it works. For some reason I was thinking I heard that the higher your seed the better chance you have of playing geographically closer to home. Our seed indicates we were top 16, which I would think would place us somewhere a lot closer than San Diego. Well, it is what it is. Maybe if Auburn gets back to playing the way they are capable they will make it to Omaha. 

This is correct, but many of the 1 & 2 seeds are east coast or southern teams, meaning they get priority on location.  The 4 seeds always get scraps.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like our bracket in terms of matchups. Charleston, New Mexico State and Clemson, though certainly not pushovers, are definitely beatable. With some new inspired play and better shooting, we could make a run, and take our best shot at Kansas. Just win baby win 

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

Auburn in NO WAY got shafted on tournament site. 

Fully agree. No shaft at all. Before the season started I'll bet any Auburn fan would have been happy if Auburn was playing in Siberia as long as it was the NCAA tournament. I'm happy we're a four seed at this point. We ended on a downward trend.....Of course if we had lost a few more key games and we'd be playing at home in the NIT. :blink:

9 hours ago, alexava said:

Funding?

Credit cards...I wasn't smart when I was in college...but it would be worth it

9 hours ago, BHDAU1 said:

For some reason I was thinking I heard that the higher your seed the better chance you have of playing geographically closer to home.

Well, you’re kinda right if we’re talking CFB. In the CFP, the number one seed gets home field advantage and gets to play at the closest rotating BCS site. Clemson was #1 last year thus they got to play against #4 Alabama in Nola I believe. 

9 hours ago, all4AU said:

There are 8 host sites and 2 pods at each site. The 1 and 2 seeds were given geographical preference (i.e. Villanova in Pittsburgh, Virginia in Charlotte, Kansas in Wichita). 

The 3 and 4 seeds were given whatever was left. Tennessee did get Dallas as a 3, and the 4 seeds were sent West to San Diego and Boise. 

Seems they also ranked the seeds in some fashion....note that Duke got Pittsburgh and UNC got Charlotte...both were 2 seeds.

I note that Kentucky is a 5 and playing in Idaho (bet the blue nation will follow them there too) and whoever gets bama as a 9 seed could have their hands full if Johnson turns Sexton loose. . 

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Auburn in NO WAY got shafted on tournament site. 

Yeah, I was more concerned with the bracket we got than the site. My gosh! Kansas #1, Duke #2, Michigan St. #3. WOW!!! No doubt we drew the toughest bracket.

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Hope for the sweet 16....that should be closer....if I read it right, win two games and it would be Omaha... 

I hate Omaha worked there for a few years but I hope we make it there

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Credit cards existed when you were in college? Did you pay the bill via Pony Express?

8 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Credit cards existed when you were in college? Did you pay the bill via Pony Express?

Did you confuse me with the ancient one?

13 hours ago, BHDAU1 said:

Auburnphan, I must have misunderstood how it works. For some reason I was thinking I heard that the higher your seed the better chance you have of playing geographically closer to home. Our seed indicates we were top 16, which I would think would place us somewhere a lot closer than San Diego. Well, it is what it is. Maybe if Auburn gets back to playing the way they are capable they will make it to Omaha. 

Found this link, it is pretty interesting to read the process that they go through to get the brackets prepared.  I learned a lot from this link.

below is just a small section

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-03-12/march-madness-bracket-how-68-teams-are-selected-division-i

Procedures for Placing the Teams into the Bracket

1. The committee will place the four No. 1 seeds in each of the four regions, thus determining the Final Four semifinals pairings (overall 1 vs. 4; 2 vs. 3).

2. The committee will then place the No. 2 seeds in each region in true seed list order. The committee may relax the principle of keeping teams as close to their area of natural interest for seeding teams on the No. 2 line to avoid, for example, the overall No. 5 seed being sent to the same region as the overall No. 1 seed. The committee will not compromise the principle of keeping teams from the same conference in separate regions.

3. The committee will then place the No. 3 seeds in each region in true seed list order.

4. The committee will then place the No. 4 seeds in each region in true seed list order.

5. After the top four seed lines have been assigned, the committee will review the relative strengths of the regions by adding the “true seed” numbers in each region to determine  if  any  severe  numerical imbalance exists. Generally, no more than five points should separate the lowest and highest total.

6. In “true seed” order, the committee then assigns  each  team  (and,  therefore,  all teams in its bracket group—e.g., seeds 1, 8, 9, 16) to first-/second-round sites.

7. The committee will then place seeds Nos. 5-16 in the bracket, per the principles. The four  teams  assigned  to  the  seed  line,  5 through 16, will have the same numerical
value.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Glad you are smart now... Giving good advice anyway!  

Committee was really getting blasted today on Sirius about the seedings, who got left out and who is playing where.    Lots to gripe about as far as they were concerned but Okla State and ND being left out seemed to get their attention and the  bama  situation was funny.....they were really unhappy that they were in with their schedule...and then thought they were seeded too low?  

JMO but the middle seed teams from 4 through 8 or 9 are about interchangeable and JMO, but very little difference on a given night between about any of them..could have about drawn them out of a hat as far as setting up the brackets. 

I was really happy to see we got a 4 seed. Ending the season like we did I was expecting lower. This makes our first game very winnable. Win 1 is my criteria for success. Make it to sweet 16 and i'm ecstatic. Anything beyond that is too much for my mind to handle.....

33 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I was really happy to see we got a 4 seed. Ending the season like we did I was expecting lower. This makes our first game very winnable. Win 1 is my criteria for success. Make it to sweet 16 and i'm ecstatic. Anything beyond that is too much for my mind to handle.....

Looking like our games will be vs College of Charleston and then vs Clemson. Very do-able if we can get some production back from our big 3. Winning these games would probably set up a date with Kansas and just getting an opportunity to play them in the Sweet 16 on national TV is a really great thing for Auburn Baskeball 

AU can win iff they display 40 minutes of toughness. I'm not saying leading wire to wire or anything, but they're going to need a much more consistent whole-game effort against COC than they displayed in about half of the last 6 games (@ USCe, @ARK, vs. Bama in St. Louis) to come out of the first round a winner. I see this being an extremely tight, very close and very competitive game.

Just being in the dance this year is one step ahead of schedule for me so I'm taking all of of this in.

A win would make me ecstatic, 2 wins and I may cry and personally start building Bruce's statue with my bare hands as tears of joy roll down my face.

I am not forgetting how I felt like I took a punch in the nads once the FBI news came out, and even at full strength next season would still be the culmination of Bruce's plan to get the program on new, NCAA tournament-level footing based on how the roster is constructed IMO.

WDE lets win the weekend!!!

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Did you confuse me with the ancient one?

No, I am well aware that during his college days, he was bartering goats and salt to fund his road trips via conestoga wagon.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, bigbird said:

If I was still in college, I would organize the greatest road trip to San Diego.  It would be a week long expedition across the nation and it would be awesome.

Sounds like a good plan...but if things go like in St Louis you might only need to make hotel reservations for one night...:) 

I was thinking about the AU fans who made that trip up there and had to sit through that awful 2nd half against bama.....and then come back home.    :sad2:    Done that for football a few times and the loss took all the shine off the trip.

Hoping for a better outcome in San Diego. 

Archived