Wiley

TexasTiger

8 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Right now, he doesn’t even appear in ESPN’s two round mock. They do a good job of talking to teams and scouting random internationals that teams tend to stock in round two. I think there’s a real chance he goes undrafted, if he stays in. Tons of upside, but there are a lot of bigs in this draft with far more track record to judge. 

If he’s getting good advice, he’ll be back in Auburn next year. 

I hope you're correct on this. To me he doesn't have the creds to be a top draft choice professional player. If his sport were baseball or football he wouldn't get drafted high, if at all. However, I don't know squat about the NBA or how they think. I don't even watch their games.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I hope you're correct on this. To me he doesn't have the creds to be a top draft choice professional player. If his sport were baseball or football he wouldn't get drafted high, if at all. However, I don't know squat about the NBA or how they think. I don't even watch their games.

I don't watch the games but I watch the league and they draft guys like Wiley all the time...."betting on the come" ...basically knowing that you can't teach "size" so they just plan to develop them  by gradually introducing them to the game.. 

The NBA brings in foreign players with unknown creds and playing time against weak competition...and with Wiley, they are no worse off.     Baseball and football seems to be far more about demonstrated ability whereas in my view, in the NBA it is about "potential".    If his family really needed that pittance that CP gave them, he should take the money and go no matter where he is drafted or if he can sign as a free agent.      When you have no money...there is no difference between 1/2 million and a million bucks if it is available to you now.   ..JMO

9 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Right now, he doesn’t even appear in ESPN’s two round mock. They do a good job of talking to teams and scouting random internationals that teams tend to stock in round two. I think there’s a real chance he goes undrafted, if he stays in. Tons of upside, but there are a lot of bigs in this draft with far more track record to judge. 

If he’s getting good advice, he’ll be back in Auburn next year. 

Hopefully he's getting advice from a totally different folks now.   His previous set of advisers were money hungry, I doubt they'd urge him to return to Auburn for another year and forgo the $$$.

On 3/15/2018 at 3:44 PM, keesler said:

Well, it's kinda obvious Wiley's family needs the money.   Sometimes these kids have to help the family out as fast as they can and they have no choice but to jump at the first shot of $$$.

Of course we'd like to see him stay, but finances can sway someone really quickly.

In other words, money talks and BS walks.

Is it certain that Wiley would be cleared to play at AU next season?  I know he's suspended for this season, but I'm not clear on if that means he's good to go after serving a one-year sentence or if that decision is still pending.  Obviously, the answer to that question will impact his decision on whether or not to stay another year

9 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Is it certain that Wiley would be cleared to play at AU next season?  I know he's suspended for this season, but I'm not clear on if that means he's good to go after serving a one-year sentence or if that decision is still pending.  Obviously, the answer to that question will impact his decision on whether or not to stay another year

The NCAA has ruled and Auburn has been given the green light on Wiley to play next year. That's done and over with.

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The NCAA has ruled and Auburn has been given the green light on Wiley to play next year. That's done and over with.

Thanks.

But if he comes back, he better have very 'thick' skin...because he'll be attacked when they play on the road in the SEC...you know who crowds can be...

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/top-100-nba-draft-prospects/

In this they are picking the top 100 NBA prospects. Wiley comes in at 98.  That said I have seen some Mock Drafts with him in 1st and 2nd round. Last year he looked like a fairly talented Freshman with a lot to learn he needed to improve his conditioning, his rebounding and his scoring play. In the summer his conditioning had greatly improved as seen when representing the US, his rebounding had improved still needed work on Offensive side, then stress fracture healed then stress fracture again before season then the FBI debacle.

The NBA combine will probably determine if we see him at Auburn next year. If you look at the list of top 100 there are an awful lot of very solid big men many with similar skill sets and young that also will need to see how they do against their peers at the combine. Great combine and he is gone so so combine and he returns to try and improve enough to be a first rounder following year.

Neither Heron or Purifoy made the top 100. I have not seen either in any of the recent (I emphasize recent has earlier in the year heron was) mock drafts. I believe Heron will return as will Purifoy assuming NCAA gives him the green light. Only if Heron or Purifoy were to have a dominant combine could I see either get drafted. I don't think we will have any idea on Wiley until after the combine.

16 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

But if he comes back, he better have very 'thick' skin...because he'll be attacked when they play on the road in the SEC...you know who crowds can be...

The kid wasn't even on the court this season and the UF fans acted like idiots.:angry:

Archived